New York

NYC to Ithaca

edited November -1 in New York
Any ideas how I can do this drive. Need to show the car off at a reunion.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Seems to be doable in 85 using supercharger at Albany. 160 miles from Albany to Ithaca so should not be an issue.
  • edited November -1
    Yea I thought about that. Definitely out of the way though. Interestingly, Binghampton Double Tree has a supercharger but only for guests. Thanks
  • edited November -1
    @halginz The Double Tree doesn't have a supercharger, they might have an HPWC. There is a huge difference.
  • edited November -1
    I know what I would do if I were in your situation, and I might very well be some day, as I might also have occasion to go up to Ithaca.

Assuming (and this is a big assumption) that you have an 85, I would charge up to 100%, and then drive no more than 55 to 60 mph up to Ithaca. According to google maps, the most direct route is 223 miles, well within range if you drive conservatively and keep your electronics to a minimum.

Then, once in Ithaca, I would charge up at one of the charge point (www.chargepoint) locations. Obviously, not as fast as a supercharger, and you may have to leave it charging for a few hours, but presumably you'll be doing "reunion" stuff for a lot of the time, and won't need your car constantly.

Also, there are chargepoint stations all along the route from NYC to Ithaca. Check their website.

Hope this helps
  • edited November -1
    Also, don't think the Binghamton charger is a supercharger
  • edited November -1
    Thanks all for the help. I appreciate it. Hal
  • edited November -1
    How long would the chargepoint take to charge. I would be near zero and have to charge to the max?
  • edited November -1
    Probably somewhere between 20 and 30 miles of range per hour of charging. But if you go on chargepoint.com, you should be able to find some place to handle this. And yes, you'd probably have to charge to the max to ensure making it back to NYC. Definitely plan this out before hand, contact all the chargepoint locations and make sure they could accommodate you for an overnight charge.
  • edited November -1
    See if you can angle to go through Hamilton NY there are three chargers there two of them at the Colgate Inn which have 100 amp capability and there is a nice restaurant there.
  • edited November -1
    A friend of mine just installed a HPWC on the side of his building in Binghamton, NY. It is now listed on Plugshare. The address is 336 Court Street Bunghamton. The HPWC is on the right hand side of his building. There is also a J1772 charger on the left hand side of his building.
  • edited November -1
    @halginz. Did you go? Where did you charge?
    Thus is a trip I want to do in October in a Red S85.
    F
  • edited November -1
    Bunghampton. How appropriate.
  • edited November -1
    Didn't want the stress and couldn't find an overnight charger anywhere near where I was staying. Drove a regular car. If you can stay overnight at the doubletree in Binghampton, it works. Free charging there but only for guests.
  • edited November -1
    hbh24 - I was interested to see your comment on your friend with the HPWC in Binghamton (would help me with Utica to Philly) but I dont see it over on Plugshare.

Also, Allentown PA is approved for a SC station at Lehigh Valley Mall for anyone going from Upstate down toward Philly. Supposed to be open by end of month.

Link:
    http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh-county/index.ssf/2014/11/tesla_supercharger_station_to.html#incart_river
  • ScottTech in Binghamton, shows on Plugshare.
    Also, the Doubletree, purportedly only for guests.
  • edited November -1
    THere is HPWC on the right side of the ScottTech building 336 Court Street, Binghamton, NY and a L2 charger on the left hand side of the building. The owner is very friendly and a big proponent of electric cars. He drives a Ford Electric.
    It was nice of him to add a Tesla HPWC to his building. The lights on the HPWC do not work but the charger still charges.
  • edited November -1
    I have used both HPWC's in Binghamton. The DoubleTree Inn, if you call in advance and ask, they will probably allow you to use their HPWC IF you agreed to purchase food in their restaurant. That's what we did. Note however, that their HPWC charges at 64 amps, 200V

The ScottTech is probably a better site if you don't mind walking to a restaurant to eat while your car charges. It is fully functional at close to 80 amp, 240V.

Fyi, the food we had at both places was decent.