Washington

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Best trade-in options around Seattle area?

edited November -1 in Washington
Can anyone share trade-in expreiences in Seattle area? I tried AutoNation, but their offer wasn't too appealing. Would have tried CarMax, but they only have a place way south. Craigslist seems to be about cheap cars mainly, not quite my case. What are other options?

Comments

• edited November -1
    A sales lady at the Westlake Tesla store gave me a name of an auto broker in Bellevue. They bought my MB at a reasonable price. I could have gotten more for it if I listed on Craiglist but the transaction was fair and easy. I believe the guy was a little more accommodating due to the reference from the Tesla store. I forget the guys name but I think the company was Platinum Auto in Bellevue. You may want to check with the Westlake store.
  • edited November -1
    I also worked through Platinum Auto. Very fair indeed. I had a one year old Passat I traded in. Thanks to VW, they had a 0% finance deal going on, and the price dropped, which killed any trade in value. Platinum helped me out... Thanks guys..
  • edited November -1
    Also used Platinum Auto. Very easy transaction, trading in my BMW. I received a fair price and had no hassle what so ever. Robert and Diana Swanson were friendly, professional, and unlike most other independent auto lots, I didn't feel like I needed shots and a shower after working with them. It was a real pleasure.
  • edited November -1
    Update: I ended up going to Platinum Auto in the end, was rather painless and fairly satisfying.
  • edited November -1
    I just contacted Platinum Autos to setup a time for them to assess my car. Thanks to all of you for your positive recommendations on this business.
  • edited November -1
    I ended up using Platinum Auto too. Gave me a much higher offer for my used car than any other dealer. Highly recommend them.
  • edited November -1
    Same here. Way to go, Platinum Auto! They offered me a price just under Kelly Blue Book and the transaction took all of 5 minutes, so I couldn't be happier! Highly recommend Platinum Auto in Bellevue for your high-end trade-ins. Thanks to Genny at Bellevue Square Tesla for the recommendation!!!
  • edited November -1
    anyone had experience w/trading in a Model S/ Am thinking of doing it for a P85D
  • The Platinum guy was great, very honest and straightforward. I still thought his offer for my Audi was on the low end so I sold it myself on Craigslist. More hassle but but about 20% more cash. You might also look at tred.com, they're an online consignment startup that looks promising. They were plan B if CL hadn't worked out. For comparison: tesla and carmax each offered 11k, platinum offered 14.5, I sold it myself for 17. Good luck.
  • edited November -1
    I went through Platinum Autos twice - great service both times. First they bought my Lexus, offering a very fair price (higher than Lexus dealer or others wanted to pay). Second time they sold my Model S through their consignment service - you can get more for your car but only if it sells. I would definitely use their service again.
  • edited November -1
    I saw a couple of model S at Park Place in Bellevue last week. Don't know any details.
  • edited November -1
    Anyone have Tesla vs better offer data to post?
  • edited November -1
    Compare your offer from Tesla to what a comparable cars sells as a CPO vehicle. My guess is that Tesla offers about few thousands less than the listing price of that car as a CPO.

If you want to see what the CPO cars are selling for, see http://logmysc.com/cpo-reports.php that one of the forum posters has created (AFAIK it's a live scrape of CPO pages) - scroll down to "sold/removed" cars and see what cars have sold in what markets for what price. There is a thread in Model S discussion with some visualizations of this data (a little old) as well.

Used prices seem to have dipped a little in the last couple of weeks as more CPO vehicles hit the market.
  • edited November -1
    Platinum Auto is the best
  • edited November -1
    Agreed Platinum is the best. Just sold them my car yesterday. very easy, no hassle experience... and I got a very fair price. I'm very happy with them.

bwb1
  • edited November -1
    I just saw a white model S on the lot of Chaplan's Subaru in Bellevue.
  • edited November -1
    I doubt Chaplin's would be jumping at a chance to buy another Tesla considering they have had this white one listed for a while (no doubt because of the money they are asking for it).
  • edited November -1
    Another round of applause for Platinum Auto. Straightforward, no haggling, better price than Tesla or the car's dealer (though clearly less than we could have made had we gone to the trouble and risk of selling it on Craigslist). Robert Swanson: 206-650-0505.
  • edited November -1
    Ditto on Platinum Motors. Robert Swanson is a gentleman, didn't know they existed in the used car market! Better price than Tesla offered on my Lexus RX350 and no hassle. Brought car in, they didn't even drive it - and they had a check ready for me later in the day when I came back with my wife and our second car to drop off the Lexus.
  • edited November -1
    Adding to the accolades for Platinum Wholesale Auto in Bellevue. Robert, just handled the sale of my 2012 S85, which sold for $56,498, compared to the $52,800 that Tesla offered as a trade in. It was relatively fast and painless, and I would recommend them to anyone who is interested in selling their Tesla Model S.
  • edited November -1
    Adding another data point:
    Park Place Motors should NOT be used in my opinion. I have consigned a car there successfully in my past. This time was a debacle.

TLDR Version:
    They dealt in bad faith, and seemed to intentionally make sure that I wouldn't get maximum money back.

Full Version:
    Brought car in mid April. Told them I would try to sell with them until my new 70D was delivered. The car didn't sell, so I called them to tell them I was picking it up. The consignment management said, "You have a contract, did you read it?" Of course I had, it gave them no exclusive rights to sell the car.

Various shenanigans ensued, and finally they agreed that if it didn't sell by June 9, they would pay me a sum that was more than my trade-in. Otherwise I would get the amount that we agreed on for the consignment.

They obviously didn't know that I could track the location of the car. They moved it out of sight behind the lot. It miraculously sold right after the 9th, so they got to pocket an additional 3500 bucks.

BTW, my credit union still has not received the check from them, and it is holding me up on closing on my new Model S.