Model X

How fast do falcon wing doors open?

edited November -1 in Model X
Anyone know how fast the falcon wing doors open compared to power minivan doors for example?
They need to open quickly. Can they be opened manually?

Comments

• edited November -1
    It takes 8 or 9 seconds:
  • edited November -1
    As a side-note, @Teo_, that's a very helpful and useful post. Keep those posts coming.

With regards to the speed of the doors, I hope that the final production model will have the doors open more quickly and more smoothly than on the prototype. I wouldn't expect them to open much more quickly (maybe ~5 seconds), but definitely it should open more smoothly. There was a little bounce when the doors reached the top that was a little disconcerting.

--Dan
  • edited November -1
    vandacca

I would be concerned if the doors did that now. But that was a prototype. You need to give them some leeway. I can guarantee by the time we are driving our new MX's most, if not all the bugs, will be gone and we will be left with a nearly perfect SUV...including many upgrades we couldn't even imagine.
  • edited November -1
    @pvetesla, I agree that Tesla needs some leeway since the doors were only a prototype. I do hope that the final production model will be a little faster and a little more smooth. I'm highly anticipating the announcement of the production model so I can see exactly what my next vehicle is going to be like.

--Dan
  • edited November -1
    I believe they should open fast enough that one can crack a walnut between them at the apex. But that's one reservation holder's opinion.
  • NO STUPID "BING" WARNING SOUNDS!!

Basiacally we all want pretend were Marty McFly and we can fling the doors open and slam them shut again.

400 times a day.
  • edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure it has the stupid <i>'bing'</i> warning sounds.
  • edited November -1
    Maybe Tesla will have more intelligent bings.
    Maybe they will be software selectable in the form of a bing app like cell phones.
    If so, mine might open to the tune "Open the door, Richard." Or maybe not.
  • edited November -1
    If anyone else also didn't know the reference to "Open the door Richard", check out this link...
    <a>

@georgehawley, you're showing your age with references like that. ;)

--Dan
  • edited November -1
    3.8 seconds, quarter mile in 12.3.
  • edited November -1
    Hadn't heard that one before! Thanks!

I'm not young but I have a feeling some of you would still call me a kid. Haha! ;-)
  • edited November -1
    "Open the pod bay doors HAL."
  • edited November -1
    Busted
  • jjsjjs
    edited November -1
    @georgehawley O my, that is OLD! I have to say, I would be tempted to make that the door "bing" as well. Too funny. However, I doubt it would last long. The X is for my wife and I'm sure she would bribe one of the kids to change it as there is no way she would be able to do it herself! :)