Washington

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Does anyone have a solar setup that they would want to show off?

edited November -1 in Washington
After getting a Model S, the next big ambition is to go solar. However, with Seattle-area weather volatility, and other considerations, I'm somewhat unsure of feasibility.

Does anyone, by any chance, have a solar installation in the Greater Seattle area, and would that someone be open to showing that system and share the experiences? I will bring cookies :-)

Comments

• edited November -1
    I do. What kind of cookies?
  • edited November -1
    Any kind I can procure by next week. Preferences?
  • edited November -1
    details please...about the solar setup, not the cookies. :)
  • edited November -1
    I just had the system installed a month ago. I am hoping to generate enough power to account for the tesla. More importantly, the system needs to generate enough to maximiZe the $5000/year incentive. I am planning to have a solar party (like a Tupperware party) soon to show it off and spread the word. Maybe I'll have one for tesla people if there is interest.
  • edited November -1
    cbirnbach Which utility are you on? PSE, PUD or ??
  • edited November -1
    Seattle city light
  • edited November -1
    How large is the system (physical size and wattage size)? I didn't think solar was feasible in this neck of the woods. Thanks.
  • edited November -1
    We live in Bellevue and had a 9.9kw system installed 2 months ago, consisting of 36 Itek panels. My electric bill for the month of Sept (last week of Aug and 1st 3 weeks of Sept) was $8, consisting of fees and charges. We will also get year-end cash incentives for the total amount of electricity we produce. This electric bill includes charging for our Model S, which has 31K miles in 19 months. Solar is feasible if you get a lot of sun or if you get a lot of incentives. We fit in the second category.
  • edited November -1
    It's a 36 panel system, 9700watts. All Washington made panels and inverters to maximize incentive. If anyone would like to see it I'm happy to arrange a time
  • edited November -1
    I live on the east side and am interested in installing one of these systems. Who can I contact to either buy them to self install or have them installed? By east side I mean east side of the mountains lol as in Kennewick. Thanks for the help!
  • edited November -1
    I used a company called solterra systems. They have offices in Portland and Seattle. They might come to eastern WA. Ask for Luke. Very reliable.
  • edited November -1
    I live in South Everett and have a 36-panel (7.5kW) Silicon Energy installation. I used Artisan Electric Inc. to do the installation, and was very impressed by their quality.
    You can see the live results at n7wwu.info:8080
  • edited November -1
    I called a company and they looked on google at my location and said I may get too much shade and I never heard from them again.
    I just got my MS P85 on 9/13/14.
    I think it would be a good idea.. What was the end cost for you?
    Full price and minus incentives.
  • OGOG
    edited November -1
    I contacted solar city. Even though their web page lists them as covering Washington, they said that they did not service my area (Tacoma) for residential. I also inquired about a commercial site I have but never received a response from them..
  • edited November -1
    Solar City (Musk's company) cannot economically compete in WA due to the state incentives that disfavor the leasing arrangement. I have read Gov. Inslee favors changing the laws. Really, the difference is financing the cost. I remain interested in feasibility for my home even if I finance it myself. If cbirnbach offers a solar party to show the system and discuss the economics, I'll be there.
  • edited November -1
    @cbirnbach
    So, it being your solar party, set a date. I'm sure a few people will be happy to attend. You might want to call Solterra and discuss referral bonuses first though ;-)
  • I called solterra today and they said that since we are being referred by our tesla "friends" we get a referral discount and the person that referred is also gets something back from them. (If we go ahead with installation. I have an appointment set for Friday. If I go ahead with installation I'll make sure to get your real name so that your do get your referral bonus @cbirnbach as I am meeting with Luke.
  • edited November -1
    Excellent! Luke is a great guy. We are trying to schedule the solar party in November sometime. I will post an invite when I know a firm date.
  • edited November -1
    Ok it's official. The Solar Party, sponsored by Solterra Systems, will be at my house in Lake Forest Park on November 9. It will be a brunch event, details to follow. If you are interested in attending, please send me your email address and I will send you an invitation. [email protected]
  • edited November -1
    Sent mine.
  • edited November -1
    The solar party will be on November 9 at 10:30am to allow daylight in order to see the panels, and enough time for people to get to the seahawks game if they are still interested. The founder of the company is going to be there. Check out his TEDx talk at solterrasystems.com
  • edited November -1
    Sorry I did not see your post earlier, as my wife and I just returned on 7 October from a four week, 8,009 mile cross country trip in our Model S, from Edmonds, WA to NYC and down to St. Augustine & return. We had an incredible trip and now have full confidence in Tesla/EV transportation as the Future

I have 13.2 kWh solar system (Itek panels and Bluefrog microinverters) that we installed 2+ years ago. I track our production/use daily with an Excel spreadsheet, and we are net energy producers (160%) in our all electric home, including all Tesla charging. Our home was on the Greenhome's Tour last April. If you have any questions about our experience with solar and interest in seeing our system, just let me know and I will send you contact information. Our solar installer was A&R solar, and our experience to date has been incredibly positive. Solar definitely works here, with only four months where we do not overproduce (November-February). We have not paid an electric bill the past two years, and Snohomish PUD paid us $3,830 for 1st years net production and $4,829 for last years production, through net metering. Our system will be paid off in 6.5 years with the incentives in place.
  • edited November -1
    Tesla-David,
    I ordered a P85 3 weeks ago, delivery in December. I'd like more info. on your Solar system: How much down? How many panels? Your exposure direction? How much power does the Tesla use (KWh/mile, typical KWh/charge, etc.)? You said 4 months when you don't over-produce: I take it you still produce power during that time, just not enough to cover all the usage? What was the total cost of the system?

Thanks,
    Jim ([email protected])
  • edited November -1
    Thanks to Charles for hosting the Solar Party. Even though I missed quite a bit of it, it was still very nice to see the really nice house, and meet the Solterra people. I just wished the weather was more cooperating.
  • edited November -1
    Worthwhile event. Thank you Charles and Team Solterra.