Washington

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Good to Go Pass

edited November -1 in Washington
Anyone have tips on getting a Good to Go pass to work? Specifically, which pass to get, and where to put it…
Thank you in advance!

Comments

• edited November -1
    I use the little sticker placed just under arm holding the rear view mirror. No problems yet. I have no front license plate. I heard early cars had issues with their windshield blocking the signal. My VIN is 27***.
  • edited November -1
    I got the popcicle stick style and it slid right under my mirror base in the dotted area that lets the signal through.

If you have the new mirror base, I am not sure if it will still work.
  • edited November -1
    I anchored my license plate transponder behind the nose cone using double-sided tape and a zip tie. I went to the Bellevue service center and they removed the nose cone for me. I have not had the chance to check if it works but I read in other forums that it does.
  • edited November -1
    The alternative I chose is to register my license plate--I am one of the few with the front plate--and to pay an extra $0.25 per trip over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.
  • edited November -1
    Got it to work!

I went to the Good to Go office and placed a tag and made sure they could scan it. It is placed just to the right of the rearview mirror now, completely in the speckled area.

They are also ok with you using your license plate without a pass - there is a $0.25 surcharge each time though...

Highly recommend you go to the GTG office and make sure it works before you peel off the back!
  • edited November -1
    I will probably go the license plate route and just pay the extra $0.25

I cross the 520 bridge maybe 4 or 5 times a month, that's about it. Might use the new HOT lanes on 405 from time to time when they open up.

$15 - $20 a year, so I don't have to put a sticker on the car is fine by me :)
  • edited November -1
    Just got my Tesla Model S 85KW on Dec 12th. I drive Hwy 167 to work in the AM and often use the Hot Lane. I am told by the Seattle Service Cntr that Good To Go will only work as a License Plate Mount because of the Metalized Windshield. I didn't want that mount as I want to be able to turn it off when there are 2+ people in the car. I picked up the Velcro Windscreen mount Moveable Pass with the On/Off option but would have to mount it below the camera - ugly looking from the outside. Will go to GTG office and have them check it before I attach. Any one else using the Hot Lanes?
  • edited November -1
    I have the type that can be turned on or off, but have delayed mounting it. I could hold it out the window to save 25 cents. If someone with a newer model succeeds mounting it inside, please post here for guidance to others.
  • edited November -1
    @Muddy: Have same situation for HOT lanes. Did this work for you?
  • edited November -1
    Have tried 3 positions and not working yet. Was told by Customer Service at Good to Go that they don't have camera's on 167 so I have not been charged yet. A couple years ago was pulled over as a solo driver but had a pass that was working so no problem.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the update, even if not the best news... Please post if / when you find a working option
  • edited November -1
    Oh, and forgot to mention. Looking at new 405 HOT setup, they do have cameras - for both driver side *and* anyone on passenger side.
  • edited November -1
    Muddy - Have you tried it in the "ugly" position under the front windshield camera?
  • edited November -1
    Don't have my wheels yet, but wondering if anyone has tried the motorcycle tag option? The rate for two wheels is the same as 4 wheels.
  • edited November -1
    If you're using the "switchable" GTG pass, and want to use the 405 HOT lane as a carpool you need to get it replaced with the new GTG flex pass.

If you turn off your switchable pass and use the 405 HOT lane, you will be charged as a license plate non-carpool user.

Check out http://goodtogo405.org for more detailed info, and how to get them replaced.
  • edited November -1
    Got the sticker and stuck it on a door hanging sign that was left at my front door by someone running for office. Think "Do not disturb" sign on hotel door.

You have to remember to hang it on the mirror facing out every time you go over the 520 bridge but this method is easy enough and keeps me from having a sticker stuck to my car or that ugly license plate bar.
  • edited November -1
    Drove by the GoodToGo office today to check whether their scanner could read through the glass in our 2014. It couldn't read through the glass, no matter which position we tried (including the dotted area that's supposed to work). The GTG employee said that the newer cars' windshields are even harder to work with than the older ones. They do offer a license plate mount, but we opted to just pay the additional $0.25 per trip, as we seldom take the 520 anyway.
  • edited November -1
    I am going to try the motorcycle sticker mounted on the outside of the windshield right above the VIN number once I receive the sticker. This seems the cost effective and least ugly. Will post how it goes.
  • edited November -1
    I have an 85D and one of the popsicle stick passes. No matter what we tried we could't find a spot on the windshield that would read it.

Just this week I tried placing it in the rear window (I placed it on the drivers side ledge of the back window just to one side of the speakers). I've been over 520 a couple times this week and it's read every time.
  • edited November -1
    I had tried the motorcycle tag on the left front light and it did not work. That really only leaves the license plate tag. I called the good folks at GTG and explained the situation. The lady on the phone, without hesitation, said put it on the rear plate. So I did. I think it is working, because as Brianm noted, the readers look at the back window and presumptively the back of the car. You do not want a lip over the tag, however, so mount it at the bottom of the plate.

I bought some black plastic bolt covers at McLendons and mounted it at the bottom of the plate. Looks pretty good actually.

I stopped at the Super Charger in Centralia the other day and there were three other unoccupied cars charging. They all had filthy, bug encrusted plates on the front. Have they no shame? We need to stick together.
  • edited November -1
    One thing that bugs me about the Good To Go system is that the options such as license plate transponders do not allow for you to ever use the HOV lanes they are installing on I-405 without being charged (presuming you're otherwise meeting the occupancy requirements).

They need to come up with a switchable transponder that does not rely on a mechanical switch accessed from the front windshield.
  • edited November -1
    @johnse yep that bugs me, but until more cars don't work with the current system they are not going to change the way they charge people, especially if the work around brings them more money in.
  • edited November -1
    Update on motorcycle sticker pass: placed it on outside of front windshield on driver's side above and to right side of VIN number (this was suggested on another forum to work) - but does NOT work. Looks like will have to try the popiscle stick pass.
  • edited November -1
    The license plate tag on the bottom of the rear plate does seem to work. I crossed the Narrows Bridge the other day and was charged $5.00, the new Good to Go rate. Just to be safe, register your license plate. That is only 25 cents more.
  • edited November -1
    I have a TREO pass due to my many trips to Canada and have mounted it behind the nose cone near the top . Works fine there and the sticker looks to be the same technology as the Good to Go pass. Still dont have the GtG pass yet.