Roadster

P85D now faster than the Roadster 2.5

edited November -1 in Roadster
Hoping the "upgrade" for the Roadster later this year makes it quicker than the "S"...

Comments

• edited November -1
    were all waiting for the details on the Roadster upgrade, faster?, Super Charger?,cost ?, options?
  • I doubt that any upgrade to the Roadster can make it quicker than a P85D Model S. The Roadster's acceleration today is limited by the rear-wheel traction and the P85D has twice as many wheels gripping the road as the Roadster.
    I suspect that top speed and Supercharger are limited by the cooling capability. Not an easy upgrade but I suppose maybe an upgraded HVAC and liquid cooled PEM might be a possibility. Tesla is undoubtedly developing these for the Model III so perhaps they'll design the Model III hardware to also be compatible with the Roadster?
    Maybe telematic compatibility with the Model S smartphone app to enable remote charging, location, and climate control monitoring/control? The after market add-ons prove that this is feasible but would Tesla want to provide one themselves?
  • edited November -1
    Are you talking about the battery boost or Roadster II? Elon wants the latter to be a supercar that blows the wheels off all others, at about half their cost.
  • @BrianH,
    There are rumors floating around about some additional upgrade in the future for the classic Tesla Roadster, other than the larger battery.
  • edited November -1
    E & N;
    Well, if there wasn't such a rumor, there is now! ;)
  • edited November -1
    Maybe telematic compatibility with the Model S smartphone app

FIFA 15 Coins
  • edited November -1
    The new battery is apparently part of a package of modifications which improve the car - higher capacity battery, changes to the aerodynamics of the car, and I think somewhere I saw a Tesla comment about a better choice of tyres (for lower rolling resistance).

As well as improving range, better aerodynamics should improve performance. Whether it will match the P85D in a straight line remains to be seen. There is no doubt that the moment you introduce a few reasonable bends, the Roadster will remain the faster!
  • "As the New Year is fresh in mind, the dominant question in mind of everyone is, “How will you make 2015 a great year?”
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")