Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

De-ICE Man Coneth

Comments

• edited November -1
    Code Orange -- thought you'd enjoy learning that you have a West Coast mystery twin. ICEs often take up the regular level 2 charging spots at the Bellevue Mall (Seattle area), and your mystery twin (don't know who he is) snuck in official looking signs to try to prevent such thoughtless usurpation.
  • edited November -1
    Code Orange, your good deeds provide more than meets the eye.
    I needed to consume more of this tale today, as a Big, Bad, ICE Pickup Truck Driver told me a horror story that still shakes me 2 days later.
    "PhillyGal" he says, "did you know there are dedicated parking spots at Ikea? Like right in the front? That say electric or hybrid only. I parked my HUGE Truck in the spot and tried to take a picture. I couldn't get the sign and my huge Truck in the shot."
    "But then you moved, right?" I pleaded.
    "Heck no, I went shopping."

Code Orange, the re-reading of your good deeds (like, I imagine, what reading a holy book does for some) has cleansed me of this conversation. Sadly, I have close kinship with this horrid ICEer.

He did, at least, acknowledge that while he gladly parked in a reserved spot, would never park in an actual charging space. But the damage was already done.

Go forth and coneth!
  • edited November -1
    @Code Orange. Great work. Just a thought. Perhaps you can recruit McLary to design some orange flags and get Rheumboy to design some cupholders and we can get them both to drive around to all the Superchargers and place the giant orange flags in the cupholders at each stall. That should confuse everyone.
  • edited November -1
    Code Orange for President? He already is President.

@Code Orange, don your superhero suit before you land. Superhero suit is gray coveralls and clipboard. Then you become invisible.
  • edited November -1
    People won't let a lot of things stop them, but will let an orange cone stop them because of their mindset. Likewise, you don't want to look around to see if the coast is clear, but act as if you belong there. People judge others by the way they look, act and dress. People don't think of security guards simply as people who are dressed a certain way. Likewise, somebody in a construction vest and a truck could put down orange cones without being questioned. For these sorts of cones, I might expect to see somebody driving a Tesla, since it would make sense to me that somebody from the company might be driving one, and I'd probably wear slacks, a shirt and possibly a tie, but probably not a suit.

Back in the 1960s when people were protesting the Vietnam war, the police would go into crowds and beat people. They were judged by how they were dressed, but one protester who never got beaten with clubs was Wavy Gravy. If you dress as a clown, the police won't beat you. it's all psychological.

As long as you look like you belong there, and you are the ones questioning other people, it shouldn't be a problem. You can tell them that you've been instructed not to call the police and have them towed, but hope that people obey the cones so management can avoid doing so. You don't have to mention that I'm the one instructing you or that management may never have had any intention of towing anybody.
  • edited November -1
    Haggy, GREAT advice.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks code orange! If there were Massachusetts superchargers, I would aspire to be your Robin, but alas.
  • jjsjjs
    edited November -1
    Shouldn't side kicks of Code Orange be referred to as Coneheads? ala Deadheads and Parrotheads?
  • edited November -1
    Or maybe something that rhymes with "orange."
  • jjsjjs
    edited November -1
    Now that was funny!
  • edited November -1
    I'm a big fan of this movement! Keep it up, please!

Question: Any chance of some Tesla drivers seeing the cones and figuring the chargers are out of service and just ride on in a haze of disappointment? I guess most people will get out and read the sticker on the cones or move the cones and try the chargers anyhow.

Another question: what happens to the cones if it snows a lot? Do they risk getting plowed away (especially if Mr. Plow doesn't see the cones because of all the snow or if just doesn't care)?

The more I think about it, the more I'm in favor of putting up the no parking (unless charging) signs (and violators will be towed, flogged, ridiculed, etc.) Cheap plastic signs, but official looking. Will parking lot owners notice? Will they care? Do they have better things to do than deal with such "vandalism" (or "creativity" or "freedom of expression")?
  • edited November -1
    @Tabarnouche Yes, snow will be a problem but the cones are still the best method. The problem with signs is that by the time someone can read the signs they are already in the space and out of the car ( if their eyesight is like mine) and they will be less inclined to move if they won't be long or see no authority.

However, getting out of a car to move a cone to park requires a certain amount of incentive. People aren't going to do it unless they really have to.
  • edited November -1
    If it weren't a full day's drive for me, I'd put cones at Macon. I've stopped there twice and 6 of 8 stalls were iced. I guess people are less likely to take the last 1 or 2. Every other stall has a sign for 30 minute parking. The signs in between say Tesla parking only but that didn't affect the parking.
  • edited November -1
    I was prepared to cone the Port St. Lucie SC when I visited today. However, it was not ICE'd (it probably never is, the spots are not prime for the plaza). I am ashamed to admit I was a little disappointed. I really wanted to be a Conehead.

I did get to meet Soflauthor though, so it wasn't a total waste.
  • edited November -1
    @JT - good points. I conedone your position.
  • edited November -1
    Had to do a dropoff a JFK so I stopped by the SC. Cones still there; one MS charging.

When the MS left, did not put back the cone. So remind a friend when you are charging, put the cone back where you found it. The space you save could be your own.
  • edited November -1
    @kenj, indeed.

@Code Orange, new "fine print" on the bottom for Tesla owners saying "please replace Cone upon departure"??
  • edited November -1
    It takes cojones to put out cones...
  • @Code Orange - as soon as my MS arrives, I will help monitor the Greenwich chargers and cone rotation, as these are about 10 mins from my office. Great initiative.
    Now, just tell me the best escape route, since I prefer not to tangle with Suburbans, Tahoes or Escalades...
    LOL
  • edited November -1
    Hey, soflauthor, you've been accoladed! "Not a total waste"! Take a bow or two. ;)
  • edited November -1
    @BH :-)
  • edited November -1
    Personally I do advise scanning the periphery (and choosing the best moment to act), just not visibly (I.e. don't stand in one spot looking around). Don't attract attention.
  • edited November -1
    No one calls it Sofl:)
  • edited November -1
    @Bighorn :-)
  • edited November -1
    One way to put the cones down unobtrusively would be to back in, plug in, start charging, put the cone down, and leave. The cone remains.