General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Charging while driving

2»

Comments

• edited November -1
    If you start out driving downhill, you will be able to charge the car while driving. After you reach the bottom of the hill, you may have enough charge to continue driving to a Supercharger. There you can charge for free and then return to the top of the hill. This would be the Tesla corollary to perpetual motion.
  • edited November -1
    I cannot believe there are no electrical engineers who have bought at tesla and not
    figured out how to hack into the charging system in order to enable on the fly charging
    from a generator. It clearly would require gasoline, but the new X that I am waiting for
    allows towing. I just need a brave and smart electrical engineer to devise and aftermarket
    method of charging on the fly. They did the Prius plug in hybrid that way before Toyota came
    out with a lessor one. I live in San Diego and there were two engineers that bought the first prius
    and the Cruise control hardware was in but Toyota did not put the stalk in until many years later.
  • edited November -1
    If there are any engineers willing to consider this maybe we can get Tesla to do it
    themselves. BMW has the i3 but Califronia Air Resources Board will only allow it to
    come on after 75 % of battery is depleted. How crazy is that if you would like to do
    a long trip and run it the whole time??

Chris Bickford MD
    858 531 0505

[email protected]

We need Elon for Mods.!!!!
  • edited November -1
    @ cbmdmacair | October 31, 2015

>> I cannot believe there are no electrical engineers who have bought at tesla and not figured out how to ... enable on the fly charging from a generator. <<

^^ Have you considered the possibility that there is no known practical way to make good use of such a scheme?

BTW, Tesla could have included a small ICE in the MS, making it a plug-in hybrid. They decided that this wasn't worth doing. And they seem to have some world-class engineers. Yet, you think you understand this issue better than they do. IMO, your sense of self-confidence is a bit over the top.
  • edited November -1
    <b>cbmdmacair:</b> What planet are you from? Here on Earth, the Toyota Prius has an itsy-bitsy, teensy-weensy, teeny-tiny, lil 'ol 1.4 kWh battery pack. Even the lethargic 1.8 liter engine of a Prius is enough to keep that topped up while burning gasoline. Criminy.
  • edited November -1
    Soon, the laws of stupidity will be enforced.

Run for the boarder.
  • edited November -1
    Prius: one mile range, is that true?
  • edited November -1
    @ vperl: What is a boarder ?

Over here it is someone who lives semi permanently in your home and pays 'board'.

Or is it the person who stands on the running board of a kia?

Or a train passenger?

" Soon, the laws of stupidity will be enforced."

'Soon'
  • edited November -1
    Ross, ever heard of spell checker, I made mistake.

You just proved to be a bad guest, in my country, please leave.

Got complaints, go home.
  • edited November -1
    @cbmdmacair This sounds like: "Someone should take a car and then modify it by cutting off the back half of the body and attaching an open bed with a tailgate, so you can haul big things, or dirty or wet things that you wouldn't want in the interior of your car."

Uh, yeah, what you're describing is called a truck. You should get a truck.

Dude, if you want a plug-in hybrid with a gas engine, you should get a plug-in hybrid. There are plenty of them to choose from. A Tesla is purposefully not that, so it's no wonder no one is interested in changing it into that.
  • edited November -1
    @ <b>Anonymous1598</b> (OP, November 4, 2014)

<< ... rotational energy from the front wheels [is] essentially being wasted. Would it be possible to, instead of putting a motor in the front, put a generator in the front or run the front motor in reverse all the time ... ? >>

Whatever portion of the energy that moves the car you recapture to charge the battery will reduce the car's motion, resulting in BRAKING.

This is what "regenerative" braking does already, but only to the extent you need to reduce the speed of the car.

If you overdo it, you waste the very kinetic energy you had imparted to the wheels in order to move the car, whether you "ride the brake" or otherwise use the energy for an alternate purpose.

In other words, you need to make up your mind: move or brake? It's a waste to do both at the same time.