Model X

Model X details removed on updated web site

edited November -1 in Model X
Hmmmm. Will new renderings be up soon???

Comments

• edited November -1
    It's a good sign that they didn't spend the time to redesign the old page. I'm sure they have a new page ready to go that's just waiting for the official reveal.
  • edited November -1
    I can't wait, and I am glad that the entire menu changed too. I am not really a big fan of dropdown menus.
  • edited November -1
    I could never figure out how to use the dropdown menus on a tablet... First touch, and ZOOM!
  • edited November -1
    @red Sage

+1
    The drop downs were a pain on an iPad.
  • edited November -1
    Is it a coincidence that the site update coincides with the NAIAS in Detroit?
  • edited November -1
    Why would Tesla remove information from the Model-X page? Is it because the information is no longer accurate?
  • edited November -1
    We can only hope vandacca!
  • edited November -1
    Old image of X on the site, no reason to spend IT time building new webpages with old data. Real deal pics coming soon.
  • edited November -1
    I would guess updates to the X page will wait until after a reveal. With 20K plus reservations world wide, Tesla most likely will make the reveal of the design a significant "Event". Tweet Tweet Tweet someday soon... hopefully.

Running to check my email... lol
  • edited November -1
    I'll be checking out the site early in the morning... Apparently the NAIAS festivities begin at 6:30 am EST... So, 3:30 am PST. I figure if the site is going to update with information on the Model X, that would be the earliest it happens... Unless it updates at midnight PST...
  • edited November -1
    It's my guess that they are currently updating the site with the new information and possibly the Model-X design studio, and the new landing page is a temporary place-holder. It may take their web developers a few weeks to get that ready, but it will be ready for the official unveil of the Model-X.

I don't expect a reveal of the Model-X for at least 2 weeks, so the earliest reveal would be end of January in my opinion.
  • edited November -1
    I agree that the new landing page is a temporary place holder, but I doubt it means the other site is not ready. Only time will tell. Either way, I am super psyched.
  • edited November -1
    Apparently we will not be seeing the debut of the production Model X at the NAIAS. http://bit.ly/1KCkYMJ
  • edited November -1
    I've done a lot of consulting for many companies in my past, and I have seen how many companies operate internally. I strongly suspect that Tesla is not big enough to have it's own Web development team and if they do, it's not likely to be a large dedicated team only focused on their web presence.

Tesla likely out-sources their web development and it would make sense for them to make changes in "batches" when they have significant changes they want done. I'm guessing that they're ready with the details of the new site (e.g. they want to work on the Model-X design studio). It would make sense to include minor changes/updates to the Model-X page (as they have done recently, along with the UI changes) with that batch so they can prepare for the eventual roll-out.

That's why I estimated that the Model-X reveal won't be until the end of January (at the earliest). Realistically, it will more likely be sometime in February. They may do the reveal slightly ahead of the Design Studio being ready, depending on Elon's tastes. He may want to copy Apple's announce and release a week later paradigm.
  • edited November -1
    I smell a potential Superbowl commercial :)
  • edited November -1
    A Superbowl commercial would be cool. Too bad Tesla hasn't spent a single dime on advertising yet, making a Superbowl commercial highly unlikely.
  • edited November -1
    Instead of a commercial, Elon will land a Spacex Falcon on the 50 yard line at the Super Bowl during half time.
  • edited November -1
    LOL... @georgehawley Now that would be Elon-Like.
  • edited November -1
    That would have been awesome. Might have happened had they got the first one landed in one piece!
  • edited November -1
    I see no reason why Elon wouldn't delay the next launch (currently set for January 29th) by 3 days to coincide with the Superbowl. It would be a helluva Hail-Mary play.
  • edited November -1
    @ <b>vandacca</b> (January 12, 2015)

<< I strongly suspect that Tesla is not big enough to have [its] own Web development team .... >>

Unwarranted speculation, vandacca, but you should watch your grammar none the less.
  • edited November -1
    vandacca, Tesla Motors definitely has their own internal web development. The forum software we are using is a modified form of their internally developed blog software.
  • edited November -1
    Shall we fire them or give them one more chance?
  • edited November -1
    <i>@Remnant&lt;/i> - 1 : <i>@Brian_H&lt;/i> - 0
    <i>@RedSage&lt;/i>, where did you hear that Tesla developed their own blog software? Typically, most companies uses open-source blog software and any "modifications" can be done inside of a configuration file.

Regardless, I implied that even if Tesla had their own internal team, it would be very small. This speculation is helpful in trying to nail down the announcement of the Model-X for the following reasons:

1.) If Elon wants to follow Apple's "announce and release a week later" paradigm, then they have to get to work on the website.

2.) Therefore, the work on the website may be an indicator of Tesla getting to the next phase

3.) I estimate that building the Design Studio (assuming they start with the Model-S Design Studio) should take a minimum of 2 weeks (probably a lot longer if you include QA/Testing), depending on how much customization is required.

4.) The "trimming-down" of the existing landing page and the new UI indicates that some work has begun on the site, and that likely means that the new design of the Model-X page is completed or is near completion.

5.) Having worked on many such projects, my gut tells me that the site should be ready by mid-February (including inevitable delays).

6.) Therefore, I predict that the announcement of the Model-X would be sometime in February at the earliest. There are always unforeseen delays that push these projects out. For whatever reason, whenever someone estimates a software project, it's always too optimistic.

Of course, if Tesla made some small announcements every now and then, I would be totally distracted by the new information and wouldn't waste my time making stupid speculations like this one. :-/
  • edited November -1
    Before <i>@Remnant&lt;/i> or <i>@Brian_H&lt;/i> complain, I just realized that my first paragraph had a typo...
    ...Typically, most companies <b>use</b> open-source blog software...