Model X

What would they have to do to the Model X for you to not follow through with purchase?????

edited November -1 in Model X
For me, base price above $115,000 and range less than 240 miles.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I would expect the pricing to be similar to the Model S P/S85D. Maybe a slight premium assuming seat upgrades would already be included in the Model X and anticipate it will be upgraded the LTE. So I have been using the Model S as a basis.

To answer the question, it would have to be appealing design. I would leave some latitude on what is "appealing" -- recognizable as a TESLA, and not a Mini-Van or "Butt ugly". I would not pay $100K+ for a "dust buster".

Something like the BMW X5/X6.
  • edited November -1
    Cancel it.
  • edited November -1
    It would have to be REALLY ugly and have a range that is much less than the S.
  • edited November -1
    I was sold on the prototype so they would have to renege to get me to cancel.

If that's a valid hypothetical, then it would be easy to come up with a reason for me to not want a $80,000+ car.

<ul>
    <li>Only 50mi range</li>
    <li>No computer</li>
    <li>Proprietary charger with DRM-like lockout</li>
    <li>Can't charge over microUSB</li>
    </ul>

If the rules of the hypothetical are that anything they've promised is set in stone then I don't think there is anything, out side of something obscure like "Rusty needles hidden in the seat cushions"
  • edited November -1
    Delayed until late 2016
  • edited November -1
    Change OS to Microsoft
  • edited November -1
    Range and price need to be similar to a equally equipped Model S. A little higher price (<10%) and lower range (by ~5%) than the D models would be ok, but much beyond that I would likely get a second Model S to add to my 2 year old P85.
  • edited November -1
    If the range is significantly lower than the Model S it would give me pause. We have a Model S already, and the X will be replacing our minivan. If the range is low it will cause us issues on a couple of our regular trips.
  • edited November -1
    The biggest things that would make me reconsider the Model X would be:

1. I can't take delivery within 12 months.
    2. The price is at least $10,000 more than a comparably equipped/ranged Model S.

I'd probably fall back to a Model S 85D, but only if it doesn't feel inferior next to a Model X.
  • edited November -1
    I think that, if one buys a Model S85D and pulls up next to a Big Model X with Falcon Wings flapping, one will definitely feel inferior, maybe even threatened.

If they build the MX with a hybrid power plant, I'm out.
  • edited November -1
    If the Model-X doesn't come with a trailer hitch, I'm out. I know that the hitch is pretty much guaranteed.

If the Model-X has a significantly reduced range when compared to the S85D, I'm switching to S85D.

If the Model-X takes its design queues from the Pontiac Aztek, I'm out. Just kidding, I'd still get it.
  • edited November -1
    Somehow I don't think Franz would let it look ANYTHING like an Aztec. Or a Vanagon.

I'm not worried if it doesn't have a hitch from Tesla. I'm sure Torkliftcentral (the creators of the Model S hitch) will be able to come up with something sturdy enough for me to carry bicycles and tow a small trailer. I don't need it to tow anything large or heavy.
  • edited November -1
    Tesla has said the X will have exceptional towing torque.
  • edited November -1
    My main concerns would be price and range as compared to a similar MS 85D. If it has appreciably less range and costs $10k more that will be enough to push us over to something else. The MS 85D would be one of those options. It would also help to have it by the end of 2015 to get the credit in my pocket a couple months later. For my reservation number this seems less and less likely as time goes by, unfortunately.
  • edited November -1
    If it looks like a Pontiac Aztek...which the prototype kind of does.

It has to be beautiful.
  • edited November -1
    @Brian H. The S has exceptional towing torque. It's kind of the nature of the AC motor isn't it? What the S is lacking is the substructure to handle the weight of whatever it is you're towing. ;-)
  • edited November -1
    You can take the credit by adjusting withholding as soon as you take delivery.
  • edited November -1
    Since we have the P85D arriving this week...the only thing that would get us to cancel the Model X is if they got rid of the falcon doors...I'm in love with that feature.
  • edited November -1
    @TeslaFanz
    If your P85D was not arriving this week, you'd be okay with it if they got rid of the falcon doors?
  • edited November -1
    No, that would cause him to cancel. Too many conditional phrases for you?
  • edited November -1
    Yes. As a brain surgeon, I found that some of his conditional phrases to be irrelevant.
  • edited November -1
    <i>@Brian_H&lt;/i>, I'm surprised that you missed the subtle reference to an irrelevant conditional phrase. I hate it when that happens. ;)
  • GLOGLO
    edited November -1
    It would have to be significant since we waited 2 years for our Model S and have loved these last 2+ years with that. I suppose they would have to absolutely cancel on me first.
  • edited November -1
    Need to look better than concept, less than 10% penalty on range vs MS, also performance version needs to be the fastest SUV!
  • edited November -1
    Spoke with a guy at Teslas European HQ in the Netherlands and told him that I need the car 2015 otherwise I run into problems with my actual car lease: earliest date can be December but more likely it will be 2016.
    Cancelled my MXS reservation(#417). Maybe the next car in 2-3 year will be the MX- or any of the other EVs that might then be on the road (Audi anounced one for 2018 and hopefully they keep their timelines and promises better than Tesla).
    BTW: just got an email that the refundof my 30K reservation fee takes 4 weeks +...strange, very strange.