Model S

Moving to New Mexico -- just found out NM is BLOCKING Tesla from having service centers or stores!

edited November -1 in Model S
I'm a Model S owner and my wife and I have been planning to move to New Mexico for a while, and now we're in the process of doing so.

I was stunned today to learn that the NM is one of those Luddite/notorious states that is BLOCKING Tesla Motors from even building a service center in the state. I have heard no media or even online reports about this before.

I just learned that if my car ever needs service, a Ranger has to drive 6 hours from Denver to help me out.

All because the powerful lobbies have paid off the New Mexico legislature and have enacted laws, like other states have done, to prevent an American car company from even servicing customer cars within the state. This is insane.

New Mexico Tesla owners: we need to get united and active in fixing this. Who's with me?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Another thing -- now I understand why in Tesla's "Find Us" page on their website, the Albuquerque service center is marked as "Coming Soon". Well, the way things stand now, "Soon" might be a very long time unless we GET MOVING on this....
  • edited November -1
    That's so disappointing.

Not terribly surprising, but very disappointing.

Sorry to hear that, evcarfan :(
  • edited November -1
    Unbelievable! Glad they didn't get the gigafactory.
  • edited November -1
    I can't find any info that NM is blocking service centers. Do you have a cite? That would really suck if true.
  • edited November -1
    Source is a mgr at Tesla -- I was contacted by Tesla directly today after I made an inquiry about the status of the Service Center in Albuquerque. I was stunned. I'd thought the holdup was just building permits or something. He told me, "New Mexico is worse than Texas."
  • edited November -1
    ... to which I replied, "well now I understand why there's no Gigafactory in New Mexico" to which he chuckled without further comment :-)
  • edited November -1
    There was a rumor that Teslas might have facilities on reservations.
    Seems fair to me.
    ~Larry
  • edited November -1
    Ha, that would be awesome.
  • edited November -1
    By the way I submitted a comment to the Governor of New Mexico stating my concerns and wondering why she and her legislature are blocking me and other customers from getting our cars serviced. Asked her how is this American? How is it fair? How is it "free market"?
  • edited November -1
    I'm in Denver. I support you. Any Denver Tesla owners want to organize and drive down as a show of support to NM tesla owners? Santa Fe I would imagine should be the meeting place since that is the NM capital. We should all join forces and make a road trip of it!
  • edited November -1
    @<b>evcarfan91

<i>By the way I submitted a comment to the Governor of New Mexico stating my concerns and wondering why she and her legislature are blocking me and other customers from getting our cars serviced. Asked her how is this American? How is it fair? How is it "free market"?

It is <i>very</i> American, and has a long and honored history, going all the way back to Boss Tweed; and even further back to Aaron Burr, that greatest and most prescient of the Founding Fathers.

It is fair, because the New Mexico Auto Dealers Association have invested quite a bit of wherewithal in becoming <i>close, personal</i> friends with the leadership of New Mexico's majority party. Tesla and its supporters could have invested just as many golf games, extra-firm handshakes, and <i>generous, deep-pocketed</i> campaign contributions, and become even <i>closer, more personal</i> friends. They chose not to, and this is where it's gotten them. They have only themselves to blame for not thinking ahead.

It is "free market", because the aforementioned majority party of New Mexico <u>freely markets</u> their valuable friendship to those with the loudest and most jovial Ed McMahon laughs, the firmest handshakes, the sweetest golf swings, and the <i>most generous, deepest-pocketed</i> campaign contributions. That's business.
  • edited November -1
    This is one of the most interesting and ridiculous thing that is happening in US. I just don't understand...
    Tesla is the only American Car company at this point that is selling cars at starting 75K and above all the way into 150k range
    within US that have a very strong sales..
    While other company struggle to sale their high end car(such as Viper.. cough cough..)...Tesla is able to compete with the AMG, Ms , RS.. and even compete client with Ferrari, Porsche, or Lambo at certain extent(not exactly the same market at this point)...
    Coming from owning various Mercedes or BMW from college days till now( age 39).. Tesla is the first and the only American car I or some of my family members who also owns other high end german car would actually buy or consider buying..
    And yet it seems its the other American Car companies that's working hardest trying to make sure Tesla does not survive...
    I am pretty sure Merc ,BMW or Porsche, or even Toyota would love to see Tesla fail as well.. but I don't know how much effort they are putting in these type of circumstances... very ironic and very sad situation that Tesla is getting this much resistance at the company's own country...
  • edited November -1
    You said it. Welcome to crony-ocracy! It's how bread is buttered. Immoral lot.
  • edited November -1
    What's interesting is that some New Mexico owners of Model S don't even know about this situation in their own state. Just kind of take it for granted, I guess, that to get service, you need to depend on "the kindness of Rangers" from other states!
  • edited November -1
    New Mexico sadly has been a power house for coruption for centuries...and we are surprised why?
    I like New Mexico it is a beautiful state, Wish I could drive to Albq on superchargers and hope to some day.

Also New Mexico is not the most wealthy of places either, you either have money or you dont. Pretty easy to racket.
  • edited November -1
    They are not worried about Tesla, the are worried about the precedent it will set to allow company-owned stores of for alternate channels for distribution such as Costco. They are on the wrong side of history, but will continue to make life difficult for a while longer.

My guess is its going to take something like someone who cannot buy a Model 3 to sue in federal court to start shaking things loose.

O
  • edited November -1
    Buying one there is not a problem.
  • edited November -1
    People who live in a state that doesn't allow Tesla stores shouldn't have to pay sales tax when they register the car....
  • edited November -1
    According to this (pain to get to):

http://www.abqjournal.com/367480/news/will-law-affect-new-mexicos-chances-for-tesla-factory.html

NM law says Tesla/car manufacturers can't "perform warranty or other service"
  • edited November -1
    We are really disappointed to hear No service here in NM, so far we haven't needed service but will head to Denver if needed we just need that supercharger near the border in Colorado. I was really happy to see Shamrock Tx opened already and disappointed nothing in ABQ yet.we are in Santa Fe.
  • edited November -1
    From the <a href="http://www.nmonesource.com/nmnxtadmin/NMPublic.aspx">New Mexico Statues Annotated</a> (I'd link directly to it but their online system makes it impossible):

<quote>57-16-5. Unlawful acts; manufacturers; distributors; representatives.
    It is unlawful for a manufacturer , distributor or representative to:

V. be licensed as a dealer or perform warranty or other service or own an interest, directly or indirectly, in a person licensed as a dealer or performing warranty or other service; provided that a manufacturer or distributor may own a person licensed as a dealer for a reasonable time in order to dispose of an interest acquired as a secured party or as part of a dealer development program;
    </quote>

So it appears that Tesla cannot sell or service vehicles in New Mexico.
  • edited November -1
    The Democrat party runs New Mexico, who'd think they would stop the evolution the EV ? What could possibly be why ?

Go figure ! ! !
  • edited November -1
    Governor Susanna Martinez is a republican, but regardless, I'll touch base with some friends that have access to her and see what I can find out.
  • edited November -1
    <i>The Democrat party runs New Mexico</i>

There is no such party as the Democrat Party. You've been watching too much Fox News.