General

Supercharging ISSUES by ICE vehicles continue to worsen in some area

124»

Comments

• edited November -1
    As the gate advocate here, I will restate that there was a fellow Tesla driver robbed of his possessions and car. Fenced and gated area would lessen this possibility. Also it would be nice, and nice only not essential, for our Supercharging area to have an air compressor, windshield cleaning supplies and a trash can. I think maybe someday we will see these conveniences.
    ~Larry
  • edited November -1
    I like the windshield cleaning, air compressor idea. By the time there are a million Teslas out there, surely supercharging will look way different. One day, and we may live to see it, 10% of cars may be Teslas. By the time 2% of cars are long range electrics I'm sure charging stations will be viewed as more of a gas pump and folks will simply know better than to block one. May never get around criminal types taking whatever advantage they can, but that's a problem for any type of car and travel. Like I said before I've only visited one SC. You're probably right that in some areas a gate may be in order...
  • edited November -1
    Larry, i dont know what the car jack rate is for expensive ICE cars is but going to Barstow late at night isnt maybe a great choice. 1 car out of 80000. I would ratber see the money go to more superchargers
  • edited November -1
    DTsea, yes that's the only one I know of.
    Painting the area is the best, first step. (Also implicit in the painted surface is the message that we do *not* leak fluids.)
    There will be more sophisticated Superchargers off in the future but right now we need quantity and location.
    ~Larry
  • edited November -1
    @DTsea,

+1 re: posting facts. I'm going to let all of the personality and histrionics go.

Re: locked parking, It will happen in spots where parking is traditionally locked. Like in London Westfield shopping center.

Not at a Chili's in Barstow.
  • edited November -1
    @SamO

You are one of the most rational people I have come across.
    You too, Bonnie!

When we got our early cars there were only 2 Superchargers in the world a very, very short time ago. OMG! There was 10,000 reservations! (Insert histrionics.) Tesla had better do something about it.

Two years later, how many Superchargers are there?
  • edited November -1
    @CZ,

Lol. Seriously.

I love that we are getting ~300 more superchargers this year and 2000 HPWCs throughout the world.

This just keeps getting better.

What are we going to say in 2016?

Well . . . you can't drive to the North Pole like you can in a gas car ;-)

And actually, Elon said all but Northern Alaska would be covered by the end of this year.

http://electrek.co/2015/03/20/audio-recording-of-the-tesla-6-2-range-anxiety-press-conference/
  • edited November -1
    @ DTsea | March 19, 2015

<i>Grinnin' is quick to demand data when others disagree with him, which is fine...

"Fine", you say. I "demanded" NOTHING! You're misstating my expressed ideas here. Yes, data is needed for a responsible analysis of the extent that ICEing is or will be a problem. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

BTW, I explicitly stated that I had NOT done an analysis of the ICEing problem because I don't have enough data on it. What's wrong with this?

<i>... no one on this thread has shown DATA that 'ICEing is getting worse' or trend data that it WILL get worse in the future.

True. However, I would think the following assumptions should be accepted by a large majority of sensible people:

1. Some of the reports of ICEing at SCs are true.

2. ICEing <b>at any level</b> increases the likelihood that an SC-authorized car arriving at an SC will need to wait to begin charging.

3. Larger numbers SC-equipped cars increase the usage level of the SC system.

4. Unless an SC's capacity is expanded, increasing its usage increases the likelihood that an SC-authorized car arriving at an SC will need to wait to begin charging.

5. Larger numbers of SC-authorized cars per SC increase the usage of the typical SC.

Please tell us which of these assumptions, if any, you disagree with.

If we try, I believe we can discover more relevant information about the ICEing problem. However, my impression is that you don't want to cooperate in such an effort. Indeed, it seems to me that you're trying to prevent others from such a cooperative effort. I hope I'm wrong about that. Please tell us what your intent is in this discussion.
  • edited November -1
    @SamO

North Pole Alaska is in Central Alaska, just South of Fairbanks. You should be able to drive to the North Pole by the end of the year.
  • edited November -1
    You will not be able to drive to Deadhorse AK, the oil Mecca of Alaska.
  • edited November -1
    @milebb,

See . . . Even my fake FUD doesn't hold water.

Thanks 8-)
  • edited November -1
    @Grinnin'

Here's where IMO there is a disconnect:

4. Unless an SC's capacity is expanded, increasing its usage increases the likelihood that an SC-authorized car arriving at an SC will need to wait to begin charging.

5. Larger numbers of SC-authorized cars per SC increase the usage of the typical SC

#4 should be written as "Elon Musk has stated unequivocally that SC capacity is expanding faster than sales of cars AND the Supercharger Network is being sized for peak usage of Friday and Sunday afternoons."

#5 Since there will be a greater number of Superchargers and HPWC "Destination Chargers" per car than currently exists, then the usage of a typical Supercharger will decrease."

*If you haven't already, the 6.2 Announcement audio recording is linked above and in other threads. It seems that Elon addressed many (most) charging concerns on that call.
  • edited November -1
    Grinnin'.VA
    I accept your 5 assumptions, they all seem reasonable.
    Do you accept a 6th assumption that has been stated above? " iceing subsides once superchargers get used more"

EM just restated that supercharger capacity is being managed to handel peak load. Tesla has a all of the usage data and can easily keep up with usage for the near future. Just like you had all the data for the dial up call completion. It seems Tesla is achieving much better then 99% connection success. Additionally the 6.2 version gives each Tesla driver real time super charger information so they can make decisions when charger problems arise. I suspect Tesla software will soon be recommending which stall you should take so that you get the maximum charge rate during your stop. Pairing you with the car using the lowest charge rate.
  • edited November -1
    @ SamO | March 21, 2015

<i>@Grinnin'

<i>Here's where IMO there is a disconnect:

<i>#4 should be written as "Elon Musk has stated unequivocally that SC capacity is expanding faster than sales of cars AND the Supercharger Network is being sized for peak usage of Friday and Sunday afternoons."

It's good to hear that Tesla understands the need to size SCs to meet the needs of SC users during peak periods. I don't know if Tesla is collecting data on ICEing. Do you know? If so, please share information on it with us. BTW, I think they should have sensors to detect and monitor SC stall occupancy by vehicles that are not in the process of charging as was suggested by someone else.

According to my calculations, expanding SC capacity faster than sales while provided unlimited SC charging without fees for the life of the cars is unsustainable unless it's subsidized. $2000 a car simply isn't enough money to do it. Even assuming absolutely no ICEing, ever, anywhere.

<i>#5 Since there will be a greater number of Superchargers and HPWC "Destination Chargers" per car than currently exists, then the usage of a typical Supercharger will decrease."

I simply do not understand why this would be true when Tesla sells millions of cars in the next decade. Can you explain how destination chargers can effectively diminish the need for SC charging? They are much slower than SCs.

<i>If you haven't already, the 6.2 Announcement audio recording is linked above and in other threads. It seems that Elon addressed many (most) charging concerns on that call.

I listened to the 6.2 Announcement audio. Not a word was said about ICEing.

Thanks for your comments.
  • edited November -1
    Seems like the greatest value we can add through the forum is to report our collective experience on where ICEing is occurring, so Tesla can figure out why it is occurring, and get crowd source intel on what works and what doesn't.
    To summarize what I have learned so far:
    It does not seem to be much of a problem in CA (more awareness here?)
    Bighorn says it's not a problem in all his travels (always trust him, but does he get to the big city much?)
    My own 45,000 miles I have never been ICEd out, but have been forced to take a paired stall, which slows me down.
    ICEing reports seem to come from busier wealthy metro areas like CT, WA
    Photos of ICEd stalls show the chargers along the back, not between the stalls, with small signs
    Personally I think the arrangement with the chargers alongside the stalls is best because it really mimics the feel of a gas station. People will not intentionally block a charger. Although you can't help the few morons who think it is a vacuum cleaner.