New Jersey

EZ Pass

edited November -1 in New Jersey
I read the previous blogs and am still a little fuzzy on this issue. I just put the front license plate ez pass on and it still isnt registering when I drive thru (says unpaid). My understanding is that since my license plate is registered to that ez pass monitor, they will just charge me the toll anyway. Is this is the case?

Comments

• edited November -1
    The cameras will pick up your back license plate if there is a failure.

My EZP worked (finally) when placed to the right of the rear view mirror. Tucked it up pretty tight.

It took a bit of experimenting. I also called EZP and told them that I was getting bad reads. This resulted in a clean statement for the time I was testing the placement.
  • edited November -1
    I placed mine on my plate and have not tried to use it yet.
    Do you have yours at the top of your plate or the bottom and have your tried both? Curious.
  • edited November -1
    I have had mine on the top of the license plate for two years and it works every time. While I was struggling to get the inside reader to work (it never would read consistently) EZ Pass was reading my plate and charging the toll. No issues there.
  • edited November -1
    Same as jmcm2110, I have mine inside to the right of the rear-view mirror, tucked in as tight to the upper left corner as possible. It never fails to read.

BTW make sure you got a green EZP (literally green colored), or swap it if you didn't. The green EZP gives you off-peak discounts on NJTP and GSP.
  • edited November -1
    @kevo - good info. what qualifies a car for a 'green' EZP?
  • edited November -1
    I have mine on bottom of plate, will try the top of the plate. thanks!!!
  • edited November -1
    @jmcm2110,

Yesterday I Googled for an authorative source of the details and scoured the EZP website for details yet came up empty... Today it's the first hit!

According to https://www.ezpassnj.com/en/about/plans.shtml elegible vehicles are rated "at least 45 miles per gallon and meet the California Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) standard are eligible for the discount."

Certainly this includes any EV and most hybrids. My previous car, a Toyota Prius, was also elibible for a green EZP.
  • edited November -1
    @kevo Thanks!
  • edited November -1
    Yes - the GSP at least records plate numbers and deducts from your account. I have not mounted a front plate but the transponder is tucked into the spoiler grooves. No problem with GSP & Turnpike but had a problem at the Verrazano tolls with gates. No read and the cop couldn't scan the transponder because of how I mounted the transponder. Solution was to give him the toll in cash and we both left happy :). I guess I would go in the cash lanes in the future.
  • edited November -1
    Mounted the unit behind the nose cone with electrical tape to the crossmember. No front plate. No problems from Boston to Florida...
  • edited November -1
    thanks for all your reply, I moved the sensor to the top of the plate and it still doesn't get picked up
  • edited November -1
    I had the transponder by the rearview mirror and it worked for the VZ bridge. S85 No front plate (6 months and counting)
  • edited November -1
    From all of the above, it seems that the transponder location and the bridge/highway sensors are specific to each other. In South Jersey, nothing would work with an internal transponder (even tucked in to the mirror). With an external transponder in the nosecone, the Walt Whitman Bridge into Philly was ok but none of the other bridges worked. With the external transponder on the top of the plate (it's ugly), all NJ-PA and DE-NJ bridges worked - as well as the PA turnpike. BTW, I was refused a green EZP because we were already signed up for a senior discount (half price on all PA-NJ bridges.
  • edited November -1
    Curious about the front plate mounting as I anticipate 2016 X delivery in NJ...
  • edited November -1
    I'm a New Yorker with EZ Pass mounted on the front license plate. I was in New Jersey last weekend--the bridges and the Turnpike. I had no problems. The front license plate mounted EZ Pass worked fine. Also: the Superchargers were very conveniently located.
  • edited November -1
    My front plate mounted bottom behind plate never worked.

I could not put it on top of plate as it looked to ugly.

My interior after i flipped and have sideways totally within the black area to right of rear view is working 100% with my daily outerbridge and a jersey toll. yay!
  • Not sure how u all got the ezpass transponder for ev
    I called expass and they asked me to fax the reg proving its an ev so i can get discounts off peak
    I faxed over a month and no response
  • Are there any nj mx "reservationists" ?

Mx res#17816
    2013 ms60
  • edited November -1
    Following...
  • edited November -1
    @Raj - #37XX
  • edited February 2016
    OK - took delivery of my MX today and the EZ-Pass definitely works fine if it is placed just to the right and below the mirror..

@paradis Interesting. I used my EZPass for the first time yesterday (just got PA state inspection and put my PA tag on) and had it immediately to the right of the mirror/camera and drove through the cash/EZPass toll lane on the Rt80 Delaware River bridge and it didn't work. I took it off the window and moved it to near the steering wheel and it worked. I have it sitting on the dash in the very left corner, but it reflects up onto the windshield. I'll try it a little further right and below as you suggest next time I go across.
  • edited November -1
    @madodel - I'll try to post a pic over the weekend (car will be in for OptiCoat Thurs and Fri). Otherwise you can see it at Tannersville - or join us this Sunday at Paramus.
  • edited February 2016
    Not sure if I did this correctly - but this is a link to the pic of my EzPass

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5phjkfnu7lf0nrt/DSC00645.JPG?dl=0