Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

How much Mercedes is in a Tesla?

edited November -1 in Model S
I am picking up my new P85D tomorrow! I know from reading this forum that a number of components in the Model-S come from Mercedes or their suppliers. I believe they include:

- The "transmission" shift stalk
- The indicator stalk
- Cruise control stalk
- The steering wheel
- The air suspension (if fitted)
- The door window controls.

Does anything else come from the Mercedes parts bin or suppliers?

BTW: I am not complaining. My previous 4 cars have been Mercedes and some familiarity in the transition is quite pleasant.

Chris

Comments

• edited November -1
    I believe the wipers blades are the same.
  • edited November -1
    One other I forgot. I think the automatic closing button in the trunk hatch lid is from Mercedes also.
  • edited November -1
    Mercedes is the oldest car company in the world, Tesla the newest. It is a good coupling.
  • KLKL
    edited November -1
    The rain-sensing wipers ... probably the worst part about my MB and was hoping to never have to face it again. Damn, the same problematic/temperamental crap is happening in my MS. They just go spastic when there is no rain at times, and other times, lets tons of rain accumulate. I'd rather have the manual intermittent-timer style of wiper control found in (dare I say) ... GM vehicles.

- K
  • edited November -1
    Yeah... I agree that rain-sensing intermittent wiper issue is one of the few weaknesses of the car.

I didn't realize that could be a carry-over from MB.

You'd think that Tesla could address that with a software update perhaps?

My Acura had settable intermittent wiper speeds... well.. the Tesla wiper options are "ok" but they should fix the random rain-sensing issue.
  • edited November -1
    I had rain sensing wipers on other cars that acted just like my Tesla's.
  • edited November -1
    I've never seen a rain sensing wiper I like. So wanted Tesla to give us back the old fashioned manual control intermittent setting.
  • edited November -1
    I am for the most part happy with the Mercedes rain sensing wipers in one of our cars.

I also believe the air suspension components are from a Mercedes supplier as well so it is likely the same technology found in Mercedes Airmatic vehicles.
  • edited November -1
    PS: Maybe the reason I have no issues with the rain sensing wipers is because I never leave it in the auto setting. When it does not rain, it is set to off and if it rains I set it in the auto setting and forget about it. Sometimes the system is a bit slow but for the most part I have no issues with the system.
  • edited November -1
    I wish they would take the technology that builds the top down view of the car and surroundings.
  • edited November -1
    Boxhat1 ++1. I agree completing. The lack of 360 degree view is really disappointing. Where we drive in NY, there are curbs and tight parking garages with pillars and then curbs around pillars everywhere.

You are always guessing where they are.

I bet the Model X will ship with 360 degree view and that technology will then come to the Model S.
  • KLKL
    edited November -1
    Boxhat and Lizzie, I recently had the chance to ride in my friend's Leaf. It has the 360 top-down cameras and it makes parking a breeze. It's far superior to the rear view camera + sonar setups that most cars, including ours have.

- K
  • edited November -1
    @KL, @Boxhat @Lizzie,

I have top view in our X-3 and really miss that feature in our S85D. I would think that the side mirrors with cameras would not be that expensive. I would gladly pay for that feature, along with a $10.00 lighted vanity mirror for my dear wife ( who always gripes and reminds me that a $100,000.00 vehicle should have that feature).
  • prpprp
    edited November -1
    @harrypippic
    Wondering if your 85D has the same unplanned self acceleration inflicting many bmw X-3's?
  • edited November -1
    I had rain sensing wipers on other cars that acted just like my Tesla's..
  • edited November -1
    I had rain sensing wipers on other cars that acted just like my Tesla's.<a href="http://www.mysiteview.net/d/my.teslamotors.com">.</a&gt;
  • edited November -1
    The rain sensing wipers are terrible in my opinion, and I do miss having a normal user-adjustable intermittent, but I am fortunate to live in a desert, so it doesn't come up that much.
  • edited November -1
    I drove a new, rental, Merc E220 last week in hot weather and the climate-control logic (direct cool air to which vents and how strong) is just as daft and stupid as in my MS.
    It either freezes your legs off, or your face, blows too softly or too strong etc. etc. So i'd say they sourced that from MB as well...
    My Audi's always "just worked" with a refinement that the E220 and MS sorely misses.

The steering-column stalks in the E220 were the same as in the MS but that i already knew.
  • edited November -1
    @ElectricSteve -I think it's impossible for car makers to satisfy everyone on climate control. For counterpoint, I find the Tesla climate to work great (for me on Auto mode). I hated my Audi as my feet froze while keeping the cabin toasty.
  • edited November -1
    I think I saw a Mercedes emblem on the hinge of the tail gate.