Model X

Wil there be a Model X70D

edited November -1 in Model X
Will there be a X70D
If so it will be an All-Wheel Drive
Wat about the range?
And what will be the next model X85D or X95D?

Comments

• edited November -1
    A better question is will there be a model x.
  • edited November -1
    The best estimate of 65 mph range of the Model X is via a recent quote from Elon: 240 miles with an 85kwh battery pack. That would give it about 170 miles with 60 kWh, a non-starter. With 70 kwh it bumps up to 200, barely acceptable. I think they added about 836 18650 cells to the 60kwh pack to get to 70 for the MX and decided to put the same pack in the MS as the new low end and MD the 60 kWh pack.
  • edited November -1
    I find it hard to believe they would release a Model X with a smaller battery than the currently available Model S.. so 70 would be the minimum imo.
  • edited November -1
    I suspect there will be 3 flavors of the X. 70D, 85D and a P85D.
  • edited November -1
    @jordanrichard: I think your suspicion is spot on for the 2015 offerings. Range will be an ongoing issue with the X, especially for those wishing to drag trailers around or somehow stick stuff on the roof.

The only way for Tesla to deal with that will be battery cell enhancements via the Gigafactory, I believe. Maybe late 2016 they will add a premium 100-110 kWh pack to the mix. They will need the technology to boost the range performance of the smaller Model ≡ anyway. Assuming they succeed in rolling out higher capacity cells at substantially lower cost, they may continue to offer 85 kWh and 70 kwh packs that are lighter (30% fewer cells for example) and lower cost, passing some of the savings to the consumer through price adjustments. Anyway, it is fun to guess in the absence of facts. :-))
  • edited November -1
    The towing ability of the X may be enough to warrant a large battery pack as an option, i.e. > 85kwh
  • edited November -1
    It seems obvious that 70 is needed to make MX work so preimplemented on MS.
  • edited November -1
    I wouldn't be surprised if the 70D is utilizing next-gen batteries. Why would you announce/release a 70kWh pack unless you had a new design? That is, it makes no sense to me to come up with a new pack design if next-gen batteries are coming around the corner.

If so, I also wouldn't be surprised if they will announce a 100D before Q3. If so, then the Model-X will probably come out with a 100kWh pack too.

Just speculation...
  • edited November -1
    70 and 85 i think. 70 will get MX to 200 miles and thats the promise.
  • edited November -1
    @Dan: adding cells to the 60kwh is duck soup because the space was underutilized. No need for a better cell.
  • edited November -1
    <i>@georgehawley&lt;/i>, I don't think its as simply as sliding a few more cells in (making sure you put them in the right orientation). There must be sub-units made up of cells in series, and those are put in parallel with each other. I would think that the whole layout process takes some "design" work.

If new cells are in the pipeline, why make these calculations twice?

Also, 70kWh and 85kWh packs are too close in size. I would expect that 85kWh pack to be replaced too at some point in the future (maybe when they run out of the old cells).

This is all speculation...nothing else to do while waiting for my Model-X.
  • edited November -1
    @Dan: I don't think there will be any "new" cells from Panasonic in time for the X. If there were, wouldn't there be a complete changeover with the 85kwh pack jumping to 100kwh at the same time as the 60 jumps to 70? Otherwise, Tesla is juggling double inventory of cells. Not impossible but not in accord with Elon's pronouncements for whatever that's worth,
  • edited November -1
    <i>@georgehawley&lt;/i>, I like your way of thinking. I do think there will be a complete change-over, once they exhaust all remaining cell inventory and have finished re-designing the <i>new</i> 100kWh pack. From my understanding they have gone through multiple revisions of the pack already, so I don't think this would be out-of-character for Tesla. They seem to keep their battery solutions under wraps and never publicize the detailed technical specifications.

If they don't announce a new pack before end of May, then I'll admit my prediction was wrong (I've put an entry in my calendar).

I am very curious what the range of a Model-S 100D would be!
  • edited November -1
    While I certainly hope you're correct Dan, I have a feeling George is more righterer (that's for you Brian!).

My worst fear is that they'll debut the X with an 85 pack then 6 months later release a 100+ version. D'oh!
  • edited November -1
    ian;
    Protect yourself by cancelling until you hear a believable rumor.
  • edited November -1
    The answer regarding larger packs is simple - enhance the current 85kWh pack and make a P90X!

But seriously, I expect the eventual lineup to be 70D, 85D, and P100D. Whether that happens at launch or not until next year remains to be seen.
  • edited November -1
    OK. Good idea Brian.
  • edited November -1
    ian t.wa.us -- Your "worst fear" is guaranteed to be realized. Every Tesla ever built has been obsolete in comparison to newer options 6 months later. It's the nature of the beast when you are an early adopter buying products from a company that is moving as aggressively as Tesla. I have several friends that paid 125000 plus last summer for a P85. They have no AWD, no insane mode, no autopilot, no deluxe seats, etc. They have owned there cars well under a year.
  • edited November -1
    700 hp and autonomous driving would be good for awhile...then T will introduce some 125 kWh fast charging battery tech and then there will be more gnashing of teeth.

Oh, and don't forget the inevitable styling update and of course 999 hp...Truly autonomous driving might require even more sensors and such and will require the new model. Then Superconductive 1500hp motors that have a range of 478 miles...The printed carbon fiber body will help too. Heck, Tesla will print you out a new one if you want.

And color choices are obsolete at the electric paint changes to whatever color you want.

You will never be safe....
  • edited November -1
    Heard the one about electro-levitation in the works?
  • edited November -1
    @scotttilson - I've been here long enough to see how quickly new features have come along. I'll see what Tesla offers with the X before making a buying decision for sure. At this point though, I really can't think of any features likely to be offered in the near future that I would want (or pitch a fit over missing out on) other than a bit longer range to offset the fact that I plan to travel long distances with a bunch of bicycles hanging off the back on a hitch mount bike rack.

OK, maybe also some air cooled seats but I think I can probably live without them. ;-)

Cheers!
  • edited November -1
    Tesla option 5k for 105 kWh on MX. 10k for the 115 kWh MX. By Jan 2016
  • edited November -1
    Surely the X will be more slippery, relatively speaking, than the S- after all, they've had about 5 more years to redesign for better air flow, so that should increase range to help offset some of the extra weight.
  • edited November -1
    Yes <i>@Blueskies&lt;/i>, the coefficient of Drag for the Model-X should be lower than the Model-S. However, because it'll have a greater frontal surface area, the total friction (friction = surface area x drag coefficient) will still probably be higher than the Model-S.
  • edited November -1
    Form follows function. Higher, yes. More air friction, yes. But I won't have to be a contortionist to get in and out as I do with the S. Only 5% heavier which deducts maybe 2-3% from range. Around town at slower speeds the X85 will get almost the same WH/mile efficiency as the S85D. On the highway, not so much.