General

What ideas do you have for tesla?

edited November -1 in General
I am hoping Tesla incorporates (if they haven't yet) these ideas in their new cars.
What do you want to see from tesla?

Custamizable interior lights/floorboards
Customizable heads-up display on windshield
Customizable sounds (turn signal, etc)
Voice welcoming/acknowledgement through fingerprint recognition in steering wheel
Heated or A/C seats
4G
Customizable dashboard/blind spot monitors
Transition Lenses on the windshield
Dash camera
Friend follower-tesla cars can recognize each other/who is driving and you can link up if you are trying to meet somewhere/follow each other somewhere w/o getting lost in traffic
Consciousness recognition-actively tries to get you to respond and calls for help when you don't, autopilot to the side of the road if you experience a seizure or fall asleep etc
Silent alarm-if you get attacked next to your car, GPS can follow your key fab to lead to you if you get abducted (phone app?)

What else are you hoping to see?
Suicide doors
Hatchback
Towing capacity (Tesla model Y=truck=S3XY)

Comments

• edited November -1
    I have not experienced it myself, because I don't drive an MS as my own daily commuter, but I understand those who do experience a lot of stench from the ICE exhaust in front of them, as well as any and all dust and stench the MS goes through, sometimes even if the ventilation system is set to "Recirculate".

So my suggestion is to have the cabin air intakes placed in the rear of the vehicle, rather than in the front. This could be coupled with an air-tight switch with a 5-10 minute auto-off, to isolate the cabin from the nastier environments.
  • edited November -1
    I really would like to see a MS/MX with a "real" 300+ miles range. Meaning a 300+ miles range independent of AC/Heater, head wind or gradients. And that has to be achieved with a full load of passengers with a few bags in the trunk/frunk. I know EM has said that anything over 300 miles is excess but the rated range of the MS is rated under "ideal" conditions. People will disagree, but just like I go to a gas station every week or so ( no long distances), it would be nice to be able to plug in every 4-5 days or so. The MS battery is probably maxed out because of the battery weight, but in a few years, with advances in battery chemistry, I hope to see a MS with more range and more power than the P85D.
  • edited November -1
    Eventually, I want to see electric tractor trailers. They would look like the front end of bullet trains, and would charge at modernized truck stops--or possibly swap batteries there. A bank of 4 or 6 Model S/X batteries, stacked two deep and 2-3 long would make a truck platform that might have a reasonable range using current or near future tech.

Hey, we need something to be stuck behind in heavy traffic.
  • edited November -1
    Over the horizon....whenever the cost/range issue has been cracked to the point that we see
    Tesla vehicles in the $30K range flooding the road, and accepted by the average driver:

I think it would be interesting to see Tesla make or license a complete pan/chassis for others to build vehicles on. A 21st century version of the old VW type 1 pan: drive train, suspension/brakes, battery, steering, and core electronics for the whole shabang all in a single package that coach builders could buy whole sale.

This is common now in the heavy truck and bus industry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OC_500_LE

The safety and DOT stuff would be a challenge..but it would wonderful to see Telsa powered designs in classic skins, like these kit/custom reproductions:

http://www.customcoachwerks.com

Heck some do electric already, but old school:

http://www.beckspeedster.com/electricconversions.html

For those not interested in classics from the last century, there are new companies building new kit/custom cars:

https://localmotors.com/microfactory/

It could be win/win: Telsa (or licensed partners) could crank out high volume, high quality chassis production, and let others build on top. Tesla would continue to turn out the very best complete, modern cars without any real direct competition—totally different markets.

Modular batteries, standardized chassis components....all $ to Tesla. And the builders can concentrate on the design and features, knowing the turn key chassis is already done, and better than anything anybody else has to offer.

We could see low end basic transport, specialty delivery vehicles, trucks, off-road buggies, and in short...everything anybody can dream up and build around a standardized pan. With 3-5 different models (wheel base options, 2 x 4, 4 x 4, battery sizes, etc.), they could cover a huge amount of the market.

Too far fetched?

Whoa fella. Think about the Roadster. Where did that body come from...?
  • edited November -1
    @ hobowankenobi | May 6, 2015

<i>Too far fetched?

IMO, yes. You're dreaming.
    Of course, I've been wrong a few times in my Tesla forum posts.
  • edited November -1
    Speedboat
  • edited November -1
    @hobowankenobi, I think this is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place as far as a market for it. If you are talking about decent sized established car makers doing this, no, they won't dare touch any Tesla thing for fear of the impression of legitimizing them, or making it look like they need anything from Tesla.

So if you go the other way, that it's a small startup company that would build these tops for the skateboard, that's a market in the hundreds of units since it's really hard for a startup auto maker to get any traction, and I don't see that being worth the cost for Tesla to develop for.
  • edited November -1
    Windows compatibility.

For the long haul, connectivity with SpaceX's satellite network.
  • edited November -1
    P.S.

The ability to listen to Tesla earnings calls while driving via the internet connection.
  • edited November -1
    Convenient ventilation upgrade along with Jump seats option.
    Windows compatibility.
    App for Blackberry.
    Option for a removable cooler for the trunk pit or frunk (air/air is fine: very low draw 5A 12V).
    19'' Turbines
    Upgraded for interior storage, hooks and cupholders.
    LTE connectivity.

What else?
  • edited November -1
    You know how in video games where you design a car, you get a bunch of custom car designs to choose from, and then can adjust almost every little thing about the car to build a highly personalized car?

Get that in the design studio.
    Yes, I'll see if I can build a convertible in blue, with yellow racing stripes, the top in gold, with silver blade rims.
    Interior with two-tone brown leather, with orange trim and nectar highlights.
  • edited November -1
    What a bunch of kill joys. :)

It is true that conventional wisdom would not support my idea.

OTOH, not much about Tesla is conventional. Who would have guessed they would open their patents to their competitors?

And, to be fair, there are many a success story in the automotive world based on wholesale chassis subcontracting. Please don't make me list them....

OK, maybe targeting custom is unrealistic, at least at first. But selling to other manufacturers? Why not? As long as they don't cannibalize their own market. Let us not forget the mission:

To convert the world to electric.

If they can profitably sell/license chassis production ( I did say over the horizon....well after Model 3 is firmly established and selling as fast as they can build them) they can continue to lead and influence the other builders, at an exponential level.
  • edited November -1
    A dual skateboard for a full size pickup. One traditional RWD skateboard for the rear axle, another one rotated 180 degrees around the lateral axis and raised a few inches for clearances between the battery areas as needed for cooling. The top/front skateboard would have the motor below the skateboard instead of above to keep it more in line with the CG height of the rear drive skateboard. Mount the suspension in the opposite direction. Utilize an airbag system similar to the Ram 1500 to provide 3.4" of ground clearance adjustment.
  • edited November -1
    The ability to tag up on the freeway and join trains of Teslas. Lowering drag and increasing range of the participants.

Inductive charging or some way to automatically charge at home or in the parking garage without the 2 minutes needed to plug it in (charging snake like EM mentioned?).

A single 120V 15A outlet inside the cabin.
  • edited November -1
    @h_corey;
    Most experience is 5 sec. to plug in, not 120 sec.
  • edited November -1
    My ideas rhyme with <I>'Tesla Model ≡ P135D Coupé with Falcon Wing Doors'</I>.
  • edited November -1
    Upon unlovk, driver's seat all the way back and steering column up to make it easier to get in. Once a profile is selected move seat steering column to saved position.
  • edited November -1
    Sorry: Upon <strong>unlock </strong>
  • edited November -1
    jfperron,

They already have 19" turbines. I saw them at my local Tesla store on an 85D.
  • edited November -1
    @hobowankenobi, Quote: "But selling to other manufacturers? Why not?"

Because it takes two to make a transaction. Tesla can offer to sell all they want, but other manufacturers WILL NOT buy from them. They would rather kill themselves before they would ever give an impression of legitimacy to Tesla by admitting that they have anything better by buying it from them. Yes, they are that arrogant and stubborn. I mean the obvious thing that they really really need above all else is the Supercharger network, which Tesla has offered for them to participate in, and they won't even do that, so they obviously are not going to buy vehicle platforms that they actually can do themselves.
  • edited November -1
    @EcLectic: Really? To me that's a novelty. I haven't seen any at the MTL-Ferrier SC. Can't find them in the design studio.

Are you from North America?

Thanks!
  • edited November -1
    Traditional automobile manufacturers want Tesla Motors to shut up and just be a supplier -- like Paxton, Edelbrock, Holley, Brembo, etc. They don't like it one bit that Tesla won't allow their battery management or motor technology to be used in hybrids or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. They cannot accept the notion that such a small, young company wants to mandate that they will only contribute to 100% fully electric vehicle projects.
  • edited November -1
    @ Red Sage ca us | May 13, 2015

<i>Traditional automobile manufacturers want Tesla Motors to shut up and just be a supplier ...

It's a bit challenging and risky to determine the wishes and wants of a company. But I suspect that you got it about right. Nice post.
  • edited November -1
    Dash cam
    CarPlay
  • edited November -1
    What would I like to see?
    Brake lights that activate when one removes one's foot from the accelerator so that the folks behind see this as the car slows
    Better air conditioner, higher fan speed, more accurate thermostat (I live in Florida)
    Blind spot indicator on side mirrors a la Mercedes, rather than on the dash
    Bigger buttons for Homelink
    Enclosed center console option or insert