General

Charging

edited November -1 in General
I have an idea that would charge any EV for free... I do not have a patent on it yet.. I want to work for Tesla., So, where do I begin.? Thanks DHM

Comments

• edited November -1
    Not here. This is owners and enthusiasts forum.

And if your idea is 'connect generator/alternator to front wheels to charge while you drive' don't bother.
  • edited November -1
    Another 13 year old.
  • edited November -1
    The line to the loony bin forms to the right. Mostly occupied by inventors of free charging systems.
  • edited November -1
    what's your idea?

we won't tell anyone. this is a secret forum.
  • edited July 2
    Anyone have the full battery mileage range drop 17% overnight, on a new Model Y? 788 miles on odometer.
  • edited July 2
    @jrosenberger - Hard to say without more details. Is this drop when parked and not connected to power? Over how many hours? What was the range loss over this time?

It is likely normal if you have all the options turned on that use power all the time. For example, the Sentry mode feature, which has the cameras recording, consumes about 1 mile per hour of power. There are other options like overheat protection that can consume a lot of power if the car gets quite hot. Summon standby also uses quite a bit of power. Turn all these features off and then see what the loss is. A few miles loss would be normal overnight.
  • edited July 4
    TeslaTap.com wrote: "For example, the Sentry mode feature, which has the cameras recording, consumes about 1 mile per hour of power."

Are you sure? That's almost 10% per 24 hours on an SR+, for example. I thought it was more like 2% every 24 hours.
  • edited November -1
    Yes, Sentry Mode drains at least 1 mile per hour.
  • edited July 4
    @hgmichna - Yep as EVRider points out. The AP processor takes about 250 watts of power. With Sentry mode it must remain on to process the cameras and detect movement that trips Sentry mode.

So if you average 250 W/mi, Sentry mode consumes about 1 mile of range per hour. Use the option to automatically turn off Sentry mode at home is a good idea for most.
  • The upcoming Roadster and all 3 models of the CyberTruck will likely have enormous battery packs. Has anyone heard anything about the output of the internal chargers? The current Gen3 wall charger seems to be a step in the wrong direction, with it's limited 48 Amp output.

I am tempted to purchase a Gen2 Wall Charger for its much higher charge rate (CyberTruck), but if the internal charger(s) is limited to the current 48 Amps there is not much point (other than the longer cable).
  • edited July 7
    @10esseetony - Not sure there is a need. Most owners can charge at home for at least 10 hours. At 48A * 240VAC = 11.5 kW/h, so in 10 hours it can provide 115 kW of energy (less a little for losses). We don't know the size of the packs for the Roadster and Cybertruck. Both could be more efficient than you expect. It will be interesting to see how it shapes up.

For those that really need a faster charge for some business reason, perhaps there will be a mini Supercharger made available, but it will be expensive and likely require 3 phase power that is not available in residential areas.
  • Early HPWCs for Roadster and early (pre supercharger) Model S allowed for higher power: 240v * 80a = 19.2 kW.
    As @TT points out, 48a, 115 kW will probably get a Cybertruck ~200 miles in 10 hours. This is probably ok for most people most of the time.
  • edited July 8
    TeslaTap.com wrote: "The AP processor takes about 250 watts of power."

I'll have to measure more precisely, but from current observations I can already conclude that Sentry mode cannot use more than approximately 150 W. Could it be that one of the updates has reduced power consumption in Sentry mode?

It's still a lot, but may be worth it under some circumstances.
  • edited November -1
    @hgmichna - I haven't measured the Sentry Mode power requirements directly, but with a Model S, which is around 300 W/mi, Sentry mode consumes a little less than 1 mile of range per hour. I'd love to have an exact number. Also, the 250W number was with MCU1 and AP2. The MCU2 & AP3 processor is likely more energy-efficient, even though it is far more powerful. Hard to say if any update can reduce the power, but perhaps some non-essential portions of the system can be powered down while Sentry Mode is active that they didn't power down before.

If you do the measurements, be sure to state what model car, the MCU, and AP hardware versions. It would be good to have some more precise numbers.
  • edited November -1
    Hi,
    How do I get the best electric rate plan to charge EV without an increase in my current rate of electricity for home usage?

I am currently on a multi-tier plan, pay lower rate when I used less. And as my usage increases the rate, it increases in tier.

I do not want to change my plan to base on time of use because most my current home usage is during peak rate.

I spoke to Southern California Edison, they told me an option to install a separate electric meter for EV. And that costs $3000. I wonder if Tesla could facilitate this accounting issue without installing an additional meter.

I wonder how people would solve this problem.

A fan, an investor, and soon to be a customer.
  • edited July 16
    Perhaps using a cheaper night rate helps. Tesla cars can be set to start charging at a set time, so you do not necessarily need any external smart charging solution.
  • edited July 16
    @chhoyyam - Every utility has different rate plans, so it's hard to know what is available and would work best for you. If you plan to get solar, that adds some complications too!

In our area, PG&E offers a EV2-A rate plan that is a mix of multi-tiers and time of use. Most EV owners find this advantageous in our area. I think PG&E may also have a rate calculator so you can see the results of different plans. Here's more from PG&E: https://www.pge.com/en_US/residential/rate-plans/rate-plan-options/electric-vehicle-base-plan/electric-vehicle-base-plan.page
  • edited July 24
    My wife and I are new Y owners. We had the newest generation home charger installed in our garage. I has worked ok but we receive notices that charging has stopped. Last night it did not fully charge overnight to 80%, only 57%. any idea why or what to do?
  • @jwbmd1,
    Call service. They will be able to pull logs to find out what was happening.