Washington DC

Sheetz EV Chargers

edited November -1 in Washington DC
Has anyone used the EV Chargers at the Sheetz stations? I'm heading to see a friend in Tyrone, PA (near state college) from my home in alexandria. There's a supercharger in hagarstown but there's also an EV charge point at the Sheetz at 400 E Plank Road in Altoona. I believe its a DC charging point. How fast will it be? I'm certainly going to call and confirm its open but thought I'd ask here -- it got decent reviews on plugshare.

mav

Comments

• edited November -1
    good lord, I thought I fixed my addiction to Sheetz by eliminating my need to stop for gas, but now you are telling me they have EV chargers? My wife is going to hate me! Anyone have more info on these and which stations are getting them?
  • edited November -1
    I am thankful Wawa's do not have chargers, or I am going to have to double my execise program! LoL
  • edited November -1
    @MondoTesla according to an article written last Fall there are 5 Sheetz locations (all in Pennsylvania) with EV chargers. They're all CHAdeMO and they're "pay to charge". The locations are:

4001 Union Deposit Rd., Harrisburg
    6054 Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg
    1781 N. Atherton St., State College
    400 E. Plank Rd., Altoona
    610 Route 22 Highway West, Blairsville
  • edited November -1
    Mark, just making sure you have the CHAdeMO adapter to allow Tesla's to charge.http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/chademo-adapter
  • edited November -1
    thanks @jpgutridge -- appreciate that. I'm struggling with the $450 price tag.

mav
  • edited November -1
    chk the comments on plugshare for these chargers showing tesla charging no problem. oocasional problem is ice
  • edited November -1
    The $450 price tag of the CHAdeMO adapter is worth it. I use it very often, when I am away from the closest supercharger.
  • edited November -1
    I used the Sheetz charger on my last trip to Penn State. Worked well. Slower than a supercharger but fast. Was getting 118 Miles per hour at one point. One little tip -- it doesn't cut off when you run out of money. I put 5 bucks or so on and when it ran out, the charger kept running.
  • edited November -1
    What was the final "dollar per mile of range" that you experienced?
  • nibnib
    edited November -1
    I had trouble getting the one on Carlisle Pike to work. It was out of service when I arrived, but the manager came out and reset it for me. After playing with it for a bit, it went back out of service and I didn't get a charge. Can anyone share the steps they used to get a Sheetz charger to work? Did you plug the charger to the adapter first or the adapter to the car? Pay first or connect first?