Model S

Air Suspension failure with very unpleasant results

Comments

• edited July 2017
    I came out this morning and found my Tesla Model S (2013) sitting as low as it could possible go from collapsed air suspension on the passenger rear side of the car. Fortunately the compressor pumped it back up to it's proper height when I got in and started the car. It had sat undriven for four days, but this is the first time this has ever happened.

I am concerned that this may go out while I am driving for some time on a trip, or not be able to pump up again.
  • edited July 2017
    I have not experienced that, but others have reported parking over a curb and then having the car lower itself onto the curb while parked.

Could be an indication that you have a leak. Does the compressor seem to run when you are just sitting in the car?

See if it happens again - if so, I suggest a service visit to have it checked out. Otherwise, just mention it at your next service visit.
  • edited November -1
    I find it interesting how these very old posts of issues come back to the first page at certain times of the year
  • edited November -1
    Yep, silver.
  • edited November -1
    Let the games begin!
  • edited July 2017
    My refresh 2016 P90D is having air suspension problems. It's been in twice already and I have another appointment on Thursday the 5th for them to look at it again. The right side drops about 1 to 2 inches after the car sits for a few hours. If they get it fixed I'll let you know what they did to fix it.
  • edited November -1
    Tldickerson,
    Please do. I'd appreciate as much details as you can find out thank you.
  • edited July 2017
    @Tldickerson

Thursday is the 6th, maybe your appointment is tomorrow.
  • edited July 2017
    My bad, the appointment is for Wed. the 5th. I'm sure they will need to keep it for a few days like the last time.
  • edited July 2017
    Coil suspension is sounding better and better. :-)

:-( (for air suspension owners, especially those out of warranty)
  • edited July 2017
    @rxlawdude - your comment made me realize I have *never* seen a single complaint about the coil suspension. My car has it and I'm quite happy with the ride. It's a 2015 P90DL. :)
  • edited July 2017
    My experience: > 400,000 miles without a problem on 3 Lexus LSs, one Sequoia and 2 Model S but I'm sure there will be random failures but in the main very reliable.
  • edited July 2017
    @rxlawdude & @UnshodBob +4 points to each of you, one for each trouble-free wheel.
  • edited July 2017
    Air suspension is for grown-ups
  • edited July 2017
    @Silver, exactly why I still think I'm 18. :-)
  • edited July 2017
    touché
  • edited July 2017
    That's why I find it interesting for Tesla to make the suspension choice for the customer based upon the model they select. I liked it better when we had the choice between coil or air.
  • edited July 2017
    I never did understand the removal of air. maybe there was a shortage?
  • edited July 2017
    Tesla text me this morning telling me my car should be ready later today. They told me they ordered new air lines for the air suspension. After I get the car and test it for a day or so I'll let you know if their repair worked or not.
  • edited July 2017
    Their still not happy with whatever they did today. It still looks like the car is losing air in the air suspension somewhere. Their to get back with me tomorrow. This is their 3rd attemp at fixing this situation. Some friends ask me if the 3 strikes lemon law would enable me to get a new Tesla. I love the car but maybe I could get a new one if they don't get this one fixed soon.
  • edited July 2017
    Submerge and locate the source of the bubbles?
  • edited July 2017
    Solarfan, what do you want them to do? Submerge the car in somebody's swimming pool and look for bubbles?
  • edited July 2017
    Define the problem -Solve the problem -The 1st time

Get pre diluted 95% nitrogen 5%hydrogen gas at the welding supply shop (it's used as a shielding gas and non-flammable at 5%))
    1)Bleed pressure down
    2)Pressurize system with blended gas
    3)Now call Tesla AC guy over and tell him to bring his sniffer tool.
  • edited November -1
    jkilch, you apparently didn't read any prior post I've made. My car has been at the Tesla SC since last Wednesday. With that being said how in the world do I attempt to do what you suggested?