Northern California

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Who installed your home charging solution?

Looking for an electrician in Mountain View to install either wall adaptor or NEMA 14-50. The three Tesla recommended seem to have too much work to do. They aren't responding. The one who did said he can't come past 3pm because there would be too much traffic.

Anyone have someone who did an install for them that they can recommend? Please post price you paid details too if possible.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I did my own, and have done two others. Relatively straightforward process. How close is your electrical panel from your desired outlet/HPWC location?
  • edited November -1
    We used Willow Glen Electric. Installation price good (abaout $100 higher than next bid) but can come out within few days ==> but expensive to get permits. Job done one time and professional.
  • edited November -1
    I'm talking to Gentec, one of the suggestions from Tesla. I've been using an existing 14-30 (dryer outlet) in the garage. It gives me about 18 miles per hr of charging and runs at 24A. I want to get a couple of new 14-50 outlets running off of a second PG&E smart meter so I can monitor EV charging separate from the house and also leverage their EV-B Rate. However, initial estimates put the project at around 6-7K. Doesn't make sense. Has anybody done what I am? If so, who did you work with?
  • edited November -1
    I had Anthony Lewis Inc. out this morning. He seemed great and gave me a quote of $1,050 which includes 400 for the permit. The other electrician I talked to which was not a Tesla reco quoted me 1,200 with no permit. So Anthony Lewis is doing the job next week. Will report back on how it goes.

Installing the 14-50 running from a panel in the garage from back of garage to the other end, I don't know, maybe 20 feet or so?
  • edited November -1
    I'd highly recommend installing an HPWC (even at 50 amps if that's all your panel can spare) instead of just a 14-50 outlet. The cable is bigger for less heat generation and it's a bit longer. The hardwired connection is much more reliable than a plug, and this lets you always keep your UMC in the car, so you can't forget to take it with you on trips. The HPWC includes a cable strain relief so you don't have to craft one yourself from Home Depot parts to support the UMC. And the HPWC just plain ol' looks cooler too. :-)

I installed my own HPWC and the cost to get a permit in Pleasanton was about $150.
  • edited November -1
    I have a Leviton level 2 that I use for my Prius plug-in. I am assuming I can also use it for my newly-ordered Tesla?
  • edited November -1
    I have a leviton that I used on my chevy volt. I now use it on my tesla. You just need to use the adapter that comes with the tesla. I bought an extra one to keep in the glove box and left one on my leviton.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks, Patrick40363. Glad to know I can use my existing infrastructure!
  • edited November -1
    Got it right Joehuber ! The HPWC is the only way to go ! Fewer connections to make fewer problems to have.
  • edited November -1
    We had Damon Williams Electric (https://www.buildzoom.com/contractor/damon-williams-electric) install our 50 amp 240V dedicate outlet, new breakers, updated box panel, and a long wire pull from across the entire house. He was friendly and did a clean install. Very happy with his work. ~$1K

Contact info:
    Damon Williams Electric
    (408)455-8534 [email protected]
    License #901413
  • edited June 2016
    I live in an apartment setting, called Paradise Valley Estates in Fairfield, CA. Although I have the only Tesla on campus (there are plenty of other EVs) now, PVE was generous enough to provide for the 100 amp Tesla Wall Connect AND on-going electricity at no cost to me. They are looking towards the future, and already have plans in the infrastructure to add additional Wall Connectors, -especially as the M3s begin to show up. A few months back, I gave a hands-on demo/rides in my MX 90D. Since then, I've recruited 3 future buyers.
  • edited November -1
    How much does it cost to install a HPWC assuming the panel is about 5 ft away from where HPWC will be located? I'm in a rental house and can I dismantle the HPWC when I move out? Do I need an electrician to uninstall it as well?
  • edited July 2016
    Is the panel accessible? Open walls in a garage would make it very, very easy. Where are you?
  • edited November -1
    A. Friend.
  • edited July 2016
    @Tessnme
    My electrician charged me $600 for installing the HPWC (a few feet away from the main electrical panel).
  • edited November -1
    SolarCo/Future Solar.
    They did my solar install after Solar city failed to deliver.
  • edited August 2016
    Any recommendations for an installer for a condo in Palo Alto? I estimate about a 35 foot run from our meter, all in a gated underground parking area with owner spaces. Its going to be hard leaving our solar power in our current town house. Sigh.
  • edited September 2016
    I just found out that our condo association has picked ever-charge to be the station provider. Individual stations at each parking spot that pays for the install, about $2k- $5k and agrees to pay the $15 per month station charge as well as the electricity used. So I am still looking for feedback about this firm and this arrangement. Tough leaving my comfy solar powered station in our current home. Time to move on.
  • edited September 2016
    @mitrabbit - Sounds a bit pricy, but perhaps they have to run the power from some distance and need to cut into the streets? Hard to say without knowing what is involved. Sounds like they are also adding some kind of individual stall metering - which also adds costs. To bad you can't just get a direct L2 connection to your condo power.
  • edited April 2017
    Still hassling getting a charge system in the common garage at our condo in Palo Alto. We have assigned spaces. So far we are down to installing an Evercharge system at around $5K wired back to the common power box, or having Willow Glen Electric install a dedicated 240V socket on the wall by our parking spots. I am leaning toward the Willowglen proposal but not sure what hassles I will be facing with either of these options. I really miss having a solar powered house and a dedicated 240V socket in my garage- but we had to move and these condos are really lovely. So far no one else in the condos has an electric car!- that's a surprise in Palo Alto!
    Any ideas are welcome. Running to the Tesla charge stations every few days grows old, though I confess, I have great discussions with other owners and can coach them at times as we have had our S for 4 years!
    Please- let me know your experience as it relates to our charging problem.
    Thanks
  • edited April 2017
    $5K for a charger??? Crazy...just get a 240V outlet...shouldn't be more than $500. How many miles per day do you need to charge at home?
  • edited November -1
    About 60 miles fairly regularly. I had no idea that what seems like a simple electrical project could get so complicated. Would love to just pay for the power used and forget the monthly fee, so i am favoring Willow Glen. As an association, we need to look at a path that can be duplicated by other owners. Any other thoughts are welcome.
    Thanks
  • edited November -1
    I'm with ST on the 240v outlet, even if it has to be 30 amps. Depending upon the length of the run from the breaker box you could be looking at way more than $500. Or even less. Get WG Electric to give you a specific bid.
  • edited May 2017
    A. Friend of A. Friend...
  • edited November -1
    Willow Glen did install our 240V outlet in our condo garage, including the required breakout from our meter area on a common breaker panel for numerous units. The run was about 35 feet. The final cost was around $3500. Working in a common garage area, even with dedicated parking spaces, was not easy. It took two technicians about 8 hours to complete the job. Way more expensive then the simple install we had in our town house! That one I think cost around $500.It is nice to able to just go to Super Chargers on trips, and not run there every few days. It helps to have two Teslas for me and my wife. Should I sell my early S and get a 3? That's our next project. We will see. Kind of love my early MS 85. And love the 100 battery in the X.