Model X

12 Month Delay in Lower Priced Model X

edited November -1 in Model X
How do people feel about Elon Musk's tweet over the weekend indicating that the lower priced Model X will not be available for 12 months? I am extremely disappointed by this. I reserved a car close to three years ago (#1,938). I do not need the 40 miles of extra range nor do I want to spend $13,000 for something I do not need. I have held on to a now 10 year old Volvo XC90 waiting for the X to be released and the thought of waiting another year is excruciating. For the first time in three years, I am actually considering buying a different car (I really like the new XC90).

Comments

• edited November -1
    Yes go get the XC90 or even the equally lame Cayenne if you can have it sooner and cheaper. As much as we don't like it that's how the capicalist system works.
  • edited November -1
    @tomgibson9

I guess you have never heard of the word "soon" around here!

12 months is not bad if you've been hanging around here long enough.
  • edited November -1
    Just to clarify what I meant that's how the capitalist system works. In order to recoupe the large R&D costs already spent Tesla needs to got the most profit out of the initial limited number of cars it can produce, which means selling the top models only at this moment. Without doing this and early adopters willing to pay the rest probably would never be getting the car they want anyway.
  • edited November -1
    I'm in the same boat. I have the Volvo XC60 and have been on the wait list for 2.5 years and don't want the higher priced models. I don't need 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. Excited to get the Tesla X but likely to have other just as good options by the time I get it. That tweet really depressed me. WHY doesn't Tesla care about buyers who have some financial restraints?
  • edited November -1
    carik - I get what you are saying. It's just that I can't feel a little baited and switched. If you track all of Tesla's and Musk's comments related to pricing, never once did they mention only higher priced models would be released for some period of time. If I had some indication I would be required to spend close to $100,000 before incentives, I would have gone in a different direction long ago. Remember too when us early reservation holders put our money down, Fisker was folding and Tesla was not certain. We put money at risk years ago and are now being treated unfairly at the last minute. I hope Tesla reverses course or that the price is somewhat lower once they release specific general production pricing.
  • edited November -1
    I for one don't buy it. How is it that all new comers who are willing to put down 132k+ for an X get there's before people who been on the list for at least a year? Is Tesla letting anyone order and buy a Signature series now while standard production X reservation holders get pushed further down a queue? Are they offering an large amount of unsold Signature series X's? Why hold off for the few when the many are looking for the standard production X? Holding off the production X just doesn't pass the common sense test to me.
  • edited November -1
    If any of you thinking to cancel, can I take over your reservation? I feel so bad for all of you put your money to help Musk build the X and now been left behind. All of you put your money for years should be at first priority doesn't matter what your option is. I got my S almost one year and consider to order the X, and this is back my off.
  • edited November -1
    if a vendor does something you don't like then don't buy their product. Simple.
  • edited November -1
    This is like a repeat of the Model S release all over again. Signature, fully loaded vehicles were delivered first.

Then regular 85kW.

Then 60kW.

Then 40kW.

If you didn't realize this was going to happen, then you really haven't been paying attention.

Enjoy your $50,000 (to start) XC90 and 25mpg fuel economy.

Should run you an additional $20,000 over the next 10 years for fuel. Unless you live in Europe and I'd expect your fuel bill to double.
  • edited November -1
    @tomgibson9
    If you want the least expensive option you will have to wait. A new product ramps up slowly and in the beginning instead of churning out base Models they are making the high end ones for people who gave $40,000 years ago. If you can wait for 1 year you will have one of greatest cars ever built, if you can shell out extra money for 90D you can have car soon (remember you will keep SOC at 90% so effective range is 225 miles) or you can go buy some other car. I hope the best for you.
  • edited November -1
    I'm in for a 90D for about $100K.
  • edited November -1
    Model S was exactly the same. It was 8 months from first delivery before the first 60 delivery.

This is still a business. Want it sooner? Pay more.
  • edited November -1
    I believe this has more to do with the message on the X page for the longest time saying 'available in multiple batter options' or something to that affect. Many people, including me, placed reservations based on that only to hear 'available in a 90KWH now, more to follow in another year or so'.
  • edited November -1
    Priority was given to Model S P85s and again with P85Ds and one would expect the same trend for the Model X.
  • irir
    edited November -1
    > "the lower priced Model X will not be available for 12 months?"

When you use the more correct term "lowest price", it takes the sting and sensationalism out of the post.

My definition of "lower" is a no frills MX 90D. I will not need 12 months to see those rolling off the line.
  • edited November -1
    Elon was specifically referring to 'something like' a Model X 70D. There might be another lower priced version, with less than 90kWh pack available at a lower price before the passage of 12 months.
  • edited November -1
    Has anyone seen Elon's tweet? What did he say?
  • irir
    edited November -1
    Mel: Just scroll down the forum, there is a whole discussion on it:
    http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/elon-drops-three-major-product-hints-twitter-today
  • edited November -1
    ir, thanks. I thought Elon was responding to chargingtimes. Maybe , referring to model Y.
    Has it been decided that the x will only come equipped with 90 and only a 90?
  • edited November -1
    This year for sure only a 90. They have not announced the rest yet, so there is little point guessing. For the next 3-6 months, expect nothing lower than a 90. Tesla is likely going by their prior sales history, not just the fact the 90 has a higher margin. Most sales for the Model S prior to the release of the 90kWh pack were 85s. Demand for the 40 was so low that they stopped offering it early on. There was sufficient demand for the 60 to keep producing it until they started the 70D. It may appear that Tesla is simply doing it for margins, but it really is to maximize efficiency and output.
  • edited November -1
    @SamO

<i> This is like a repeat of the Model S release all over again. Signature, fully loaded vehicles were delivered first.

<i> Then regular 85kW.

<i> Then 60kW.

<i> Then 40kW.

<i> If you didn't realize this was going to happen, then you really haven't been paying attention.

<i> Enjoy your $50,000 (to start) XC90 and 25mpg fuel economy.

Porsche got the hot Mecan but you can only buy the S or Turbo versions now. The same thing when Porsche first introduced hot selling Cayenne or Cayman. You want the base model? You'll have to wait, a year of more. Yes that's the unfair world we're living. Now you understand why your mom told you to study hard and get a good job so you can enjoy better things in life.
  • edited November -1
    Maybe what Elon is thinking is that to take a big chunk out of the cost and price of the baseline Model X, he will need Li-ion cells produced in Nevada. That is one possible inference from the 12 month utterance. Maybe an X80D with 225 miles range and an 80 kWh battery pack that costs $10K less than today's 90 kWh pack loaded with Panasonic cells from Asia???? That could knock $13K off the base price. Let's say that a stripped down X90D prices out at $80-85K. That could be lowered under $70K with the assumptions above. At the same time the Baseline S could experience a similar price cut. That would shake things up.
  • @carlK " Now you understand why your mom told you to study hard and get a good job so you can enjoy better things in life."
    Really?
    @carlk, don't be a tool, that's @vperl's job.
  • edited November -1
    @Jonathangarner Did you mom also tell you to have some sense of humor so you won't be looked at as a fool?
  • edited November -1
    Hi Tom,

My current XC90 built in 2003 under Ford ownership cost me just over $50k 12 years ago. At 19 mpg overall average (for a 5 cylinder at that!)and 210,000 miles, I've bought 11,000 gallons of premium gas. A lot of that time in CA has been over $3.50 a gallon, so roughly $39,000 in fuel. Add to that $18,000 in various engine service and items not found in an electric car, and without adding inflation, I have a cost of ownership of almost $110,000 over 12 years. Now you can get a decently stocked new XC90, built under Chinese ownership, with even more things that can go bad under the hood for $70k or so at $4 a gallon of gas and in 10 years you will probably of paid more for the Volvo than the Tesla (made in CA, USA). If you only want the car for only a couple years, then that is your choice. Overall, all that money for a Tesla is basically your cost of ownership paid up front. You can send your money to Iran, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Venezuela, or China or you can (assuming you are American) keep it here in the USA.

Res #14,xxx and waiting patiently