Model S

Frozen Windows

edited November -1 in Model S
Came home in a storm yesterday and couldn't get out. All four door / windows frozen shut. My daughter in law finally just shoved the door open. the window didn't break but it looked as it would and when the door was closed the glass was on the outside of trim. I call the Denver SC and they recommended something called Hydrophobic, I have never heard of it and asked if i could use silicon. They said, thought it would be ok but didn't know if it would work. I sprayed along the base of the windows, then cut a piece of package plastic (like battery packaging) and slipped it between the window and seal. Evidently there is two seals. The water gets past the upper and freezes on the lower creating a 1/4 inch or more wide ice seal against the windows. I was able to work the plastic along the window breaking the windows free. All work fine now and hopefully the silicon will keep the ice from sticking to the window.

Yesterday was a bad Tesla day, the window problem was minor. I was parked on the side of street waiting for the wife when a young lady in a old pickup slammed into the side of our car taking out left rear quarter panel. Inexperienced 18 year old no antilock brakes, on ice.

Does anyone have a good solution for this problem.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Self-driving cars for teenagers!

Sorry to hear of your mishap.
  • edited November -1
    @ Trop Super idea and very funny, I like it. However I was referring to the window problem.
  • edited November -1
    Can you pre-heat the cabin enough to melt the ice?

Sorry about the accident...
  • edited November -1
    Whenever a window ever gets stuck, I use my muscles. That is, press and hold the down button for the window and also somehow "pull" the window down. Technically the power window motors just weren't strong enough to open a little bit.

By the way going through the sunroof wasn't an option?
  • edited November -1
    How about purchasing a small hair dryer that will plug into the power outlet in yacht floor. Crazy idea but should work. Another option is move south! Hair dryer is probably better. BTW, sorry about the accident.
  • edited November -1
    All windows froze while driving with heater set at 75 degrees. Moving south may be better then giving up the Tesla. Could just wait for global warming.
  • edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope it is easily resolved to your liking.
  • edited November -1
    Ah, yet another wonderful story of the dumbness of frameless windows. If the car had normal windows with a door frame around them, you could go ahead and just force the door open without the window needing to move and risking breaking it. Sheesh, what a stupid "feature".
  • edited November -1
    I'd asked about this prior to putting a down payment on my car back in 2012. I was assured that it wouldn't be a problem...it is.
    Recently, I read that a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and water works well. The person said that she just keeps it in her car. I used to use rubbing alcohol to thaw a drain that would freeze when we'd have -20 degree below freezing weather for weeks on end. It always worked. I don't know why I hadn't thought of this with the car when, on many occasions, my windows would freeze after a freezing rain.
    I now have the mobile app, and I preheat the car when I know it might be an issue, but I think the alcohol is a really doable idea, too.
  • edited November -1
    I don't see how the windows froze if you were in it with presumably the heat going.

I am in CT and as everyone knows, we got clobbered last winter and I never had an issue with freezing windows or doors. I just preheated the car and everything melted.
  • edited November -1
    How much did it cost for the left rear quarter panel repair?
  • edited November -1
    @Rocky - Looks like frozen car doors occurs on framed doors too. If the ice freezes between the door and the car frame, it's going to be a problem.

There are a lot of solutions for car doors unrelated to Tesla. Here is just on list of solutions when you're outside the car: http://www.wikihow.com/Open-Frozen-Car-Doors

@OP: Best solution is to move out of areas where it freezes, although you could wait a few years for climate change to take care of it! Sorry to hear of the damage. No good solutions for that issue.
  • edited November -1
    @TeslaTap, Of course, I know that and have dealt with it plenty. Most of my cars did have framed windows, and I have had plenty of experience pulling and prying on frozen doors in Toledo. I never said framed window doors don't freeze shut. That's not what I'm talking about at all. The point I'm bringing up is about two problems the frameless windows have. (1) Window motor automatically trying to move a window that cannot be moved--bad thing for the motor. (2) The window is tucked up underneath that piece of trim, so when the window can't move and you're trying to push/pull the door open, it's trying to move one thing through the other thing so something's gotta give--risk of breaking the window or breaking that trim piece.
  • edited November 2018
    Click here https://bit.ly/2EBVSno can resolve every error problem of your Windows 10 that shows while on working and doing something important on that time they spoil the work because of the password is not saved in your Microsoft edge.
  • edited November 2018
    Frozen Windows? I was going to suggest <ctrl><alt><delete> But maybe that is my software engineering coming through!
  • edited November 2018
    oops. That did not work as it was supposed to...

ctrl - alt - delete