Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

California Wine/Mountain trip Part Deux

edited May 2017 in Model S
We're fantasizing about a new trip in the T for this summer...featuring our theme of winetasting and natural beauty.

So we will start in San Diego early Sunday May 15, head through Fountain Valley supercharger, perhaps topping off in LA, then Oxnard to Solvang.

Paso Robles Wine Festival May 19-22, staying at the accommodating Oaks hotel where we checked out the 14-50 and J1772 charging in back of the hotel on our way up north on the West Coast Canada trip.

Calistoga May 22-27 to see our cousins and their blue 85D.

Then over to Sacramento to see friends, Reno, Tahoe, then down the spine of California to Mammoth.

Still in the planning phase!

Home by fourth of July.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Sounds fabulous and quite doable. Don't forget Napa!
  • edited November -1
    Went to the Paso Harvest Festival last October from San Diego. Easily made it to Oxnard Supercharger, skipped Buelton SC and charged in Atascadero. Very easily done! Going again to the Paso Zin Festival in March. Some hotels and wineries have chargers, or back to Atascadero to charge. Santa Barbara SC should open by May??
  • edited November -1
    @Bonlaw,

Will do! Years back we stayed at Calistoga and were in good position for touring Napa and Sonoma and all surrounding appellations.
  • edited November -1
    Sounds like fun! The Oxnard supercharger is the one where some yahoo actually stopped his F250 truck across several spots of the SC, blocked us from leaving, and gave the middle finger salute to all of us charging.

Hopefully, he's back on his ranch. :-)
  • edited November -1
    @Bonlaw-Calistoga is part of Napa County.

When you are in Calistoga, meet me and my vintage collector's edition S60 in Healdsburg and I will ruin you by having you taste some J Kevorsen.
  • edited November -1
    The Krug winery, just south of Calistoga, has an 80a Tesla HPWC (and a J1772 right next to it). I got a solid 60 miles per hour of charging there.

It is a great winery with beautiful grounds and a lot of Napa history. They have installed a huge solar array on the roofs of their buildings.
  • edited November -1
    Haha, @rxlawdude!
  • edited November -1
    @Eggbert,
    We will check out Santa Barbara SC if it is open, thanks!
  • edited November -1
    Idaho actually has quite a wine country, with about 10 wineries Southwest of Boise. My wife is in a couple of their wine clubs.
  • edited November -1
    @Mike83,
    That's great that Mammoth Lakes supercharger is now open. We'll be coming back that way to see friends, who also have a Tesla.

Thanks for letting us know!
  • edited February 2016
    Drinking down wine cellar to prep for trip.
  • edited February 2016
    @Claudia: I have a soft spot in my heart for the V. Sattui winery in the Napa Valley. They used to sell their wines only at the winery. Their Cabernet was excellent. Nice picnic grounds.
  • edited February 2016
    Claudia and Steve
    Contact us and we will show you the magic of Sonoma. I started the wine marketing program at Sonoma State University many years ago and still have a good handle on some real treats.
  • edited February 2016
    @george
    V. Sattui still only sells their wine at the winery. And I agree-I've had many a picnic on their grounds.
    Castle D'Amoroso is a must see and is owned by Sattui as well.
    Have fun storming the castle!

Still Grinning ;-)
  • edited February 2016
    Sounds like fun. The Napa SC should be open and the are a ton of destination chargers in Napa and Sonoma. Be sure to check out Alexander Valley and Russian River and grab lunch at the Farmhouse Inn.
  • edited February 2016
    Nothing to do with wine, but Mt. St. Helena - off CA-29, and overlooking Calistoga - is one of the most beautiful hikes I know. It's long (5 miles one-way) but not very hard, and leads to a superb 360-degree view of Calistoga, Middletown, Hidden Valley, and the surrounding hilly/mountainous area. If you want to take a break from the wineries, it's very enjoyable.
  • edited February 2016
    Add 50% to ICE drive time for charging, and that assumes SCs. Plan so you won't have any days over 150 miles and will have good overnight destination charging every night.

See https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/1700-mile-road-trip-s85
  • edited February 2016
    Looking forward to seeing you and Steve when you make it up this way, Claudia! If I can help with any of the details, let me know.
  • edited February 2016
    We're coming to Napa (from Long Island NY) for the last week in April. I'm hoping to arrange a tour of the Fremont factory on the last day on my way back to the Oakland airport. Do you think they will give me a loaner for the week? :)
  • edited November -1
    Back this am from funeral in LA and short stay in desert. Thank you everyone for the great suggestions! Will reply after unpacking.

@sxn,
    How about we introduce the two blue T's on Sunday before Memorial Day in Napa? Our treat for lunch!
  • edited February 2016
    @georgehawley,
    Thanks for the recommendation of V Sattui!
  • edited February 2016
    @trixiew,
    Let's definitely meet up between May 23 and 27th!
  • edited February 2016
    @Rocky H, I didn't know about any wineries in Idaho! 2017 maybe?
  • edited November -1
    @WaTan,

Excellent! We will be in Calistoga May 22-27, would greatly appreciate your insights. Let's do a meetup for lunch and tasting, all welcome!
  • edited February 2016
    Chateau Montelena in Calistoga just installed a Tesla charger. On Monday, I was the first person to check in on PlugShare since they swapped from Chademo to Tesla. It's only 32 amps (20 miles per hour) but it is better than nothing. Montelena is a gorgeous place and the wine was immortalized in the movie 'Bottle Shock'. They beat the French wines at a French wine competition in the '70s. Worth a visit!