Model X

Where are the Model X steering wheel LCD touch-screens?

edited November -1 in Model X
Found some pictures of the Model X steering wheel with two LCD touchscreens.
I can't seem to put a picture in this blognote (really this is an ancient obsolete blog program! So net Tesla worthy!!), but here is the link to an image:
http://image.motortrend.com/f/40161354/Tesla-Model-X-Steering-Wheel-iPod-Nano-Like-Thumb-Controls.jpg

Guess this didn't really make production, right?
Or will it be installed maybe in the future models?

Would be another great feature! Looks great!

Comments

• edited November -1
    I personally am glad the steering wheel controls are not touch screens. Currently they are intuitive and most importantly tactile so you don't have to look at them. In my personal opinion, touch controls would be a mistake on the steering wheel.
  • edited November -1
    The thumb wheel on my S is great. Not sure how LCD would do any better or as good.
  • edited November -1
    I agree with RonaldA. +1 for tactile controls on the wheel.
  • edited November -1
    +1 all around. I love my Model S controls and a screen would have been mess, I think. Tactile controls are key on the wheel.
  • edited November -1
    I thought they looked cool, like nano-ipods, but for whatever reason they were dropped, I do like the look of the current steering wheel.
  • edited November -1
    Congrats @WaitN4myX!! Read your configuration in another thread.
  • edited November -1
    I suggest one ought to read the MX OWNERS MANUAL.

HERE is your chance to find out.

There is no audio tape.

One must actually read.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu96a18o64gd9bm/Model X Owner's Manual 7.0 Dec 30 2015.pdf?oref=e
  • edited November -1
    @JanDeVuyst, I'm glad you raised that question. Compared to two steering wheel LCD touch-screens on picture the steering wheel that went into production now looks so ugly and cheap. Concept of the steering wheel with two touch-screens was more compatible with other LCD screens of future interior and features. I didn't expect that TM will change their design of 21 century to design that was used back in the 20 century. I thought, we are contributing the money down upfront to give a support to TM to go with the new technology and features which were proposed but what we're getting back instead?
  • edited November -1
    Probably didn't take long to figure out drivers don't want to look at the steering wheel to turn up the radio.
  • edited November -1
    @Ankit Mishra Thanks!!! I fully admit you were helpful in your "Zen-like" way as an inspiration to get over my focus on the complaints I had, allowing them to no being so significant...like the non-folding seats, sun in my eyes, etc. I was looking at the X as a girlfriend when I was younger, focusing on the negatives...but as I am getting older, better now than later...adn it's only money...

@victor_g267 I respect your perspective since I am a technophile and love all things that light up and futuristic...hence the order for the X.

However even I realize that those little LCDs could be cheap little gadgets made in China (definitely not by Tesla) with a failure rate equal to your cell phone, probably worse. This could translate into a nightmare for Tesla and the owners. I am fine with them gone...to be laid to rest along with my cherished folding 2nd row seats...
  • edited November -1
    Wow!! Thanks for the kind words. Really made me happy reading that.
  • edited November -1
    One of the things I have learned to really like is the clean minimalist design of systems and information presentation on Tesla cars.

Back up lines are a great example. Instead of multi color multi display lines Tesla went with a simple line that shows you where you wheels will be. I can give many examples of clean logical design in Tesla driver information systems.

I still haven't figured out what the "BSM" light is on my daughters Lexus. The car has an overload of bells, whistles and chimes. The lane departure warning is obnoxious and I had to turn it off within ten minutes of driving the car.

Tesla puts a gentle vibration in the steering that does not bother your passengers. So far I am impressed that Tesla has avoided the cute bell and whistle driver information overload.
  • edited November -1