Model S

Major delays in obtaining Tesla parts

edited January 2016 in Model S
Has anyone else had problems with obtaining parts from Tesla? We were in a minor accident in which an SUV bent back our drivers side mirror. We had the replacement mirror ordered 3 weeks ago and the repair center called today and found out from Tesla that it would be another three weeks to obtain the replacement mirror. We are new Tesla owners and are disappointed in the service we have received so far. Our mirror is being held on by duct tape-great advertising for Tesla.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Yes, there's an issue with respect to body parts but not with respect to other parts related to maintenance or repair.

Hopefully, your advertising will help.
  • edited November -1
    yes
  • edited November -1
    What other new car company are you comparing Tesla to that gets parts out faster? I am not implying that Tesla should be off the hook for everything, but they are still trying to keep up with demand.
  • edited November -1
    The mirrors are so robust and on a pivot, I imagine it's not a commonly replaced part. But, yes, Tesla parts acquisition can delay repairs.
  • edited November -1
    I had a car with a similar issue and had to get a replacement. It was a car with far fewer sales, and one I almost never saw on the road, but I was able to order a replacement side view mirror assembly and get it within days. It probably wasn't in dealer inventory and needed to be ordered, but I would have remembered if I had needed to wait a week or more.

It was made by a "new" car company with lower sales than Tesla, although it did have a mainstream parent car company.

Another key difference is that with the other car, I changed the mirror assembly myself. The car came with a shop manual in a hard bound case with a magnetic closure. That was innovative. Tesla's equivalent would be to give owners free access to online shop manuals since the cost of doing so would be negligible, but Tesla wants to make it as hard as possible for anybody to fix one of "their" cars. They are actually our cars once we buy them.
  • edited November -1
    Another factor is with continuous improvements to the hardware being made, a frizzbiz for a January 2015 85D may be completely different than the frizzbiz in a December 2015 85D.
    (We already know there's been a radical change in the fusebox in the past two months.)

So, instead of having a bunch of parts for any Model S, there are subspecies of that part which must be available.
  • edited November -1
    ("Frizzbiz" is, of course, a mythical part. Everyone knows that only MSes made after January 22, 2016 have it. :-))
  • edited July 2016
    There are so few authorized repair shops in Houston that there were 17 cars ahead of me when I brought my Model S in for repair after I rear ended someone because I thought the autopilot was working. But that's another story.

It has been over 3 months now and we are still waiting.

The car has been waiting on a few minor parts that we are told are in "back order" for over a month now.

I have never had even a minor complaint about Tesla before, but this is a BIG DEAL!
  • edited July 2016
    I have waited 5 weeks to get a badge changed after an OTA update (70D to 75D)
  • Same problem here. Hit a deer more than 6 weeks ago and no parts in sight. Disappointing.
  • edited August 2016
    "Haggy | January 21, 2016
    but Tesla wants to make it as hard as possible for anybody to fix one of "their" cars. They are actually our cars once we buy them."

+1, surprising to see very aggressive non complementary post from you.
  • edited August 2016
    @cornea1: Tesla's parts distribution is historically slow and somewhat disorganized. One trick is to call other Service Center parts managers to see if you can find the parts yourself. They will willingly send them to your SC if they have them in stock. Of course, this subverts an already somewhat dysfunctional system but, hey, it's the American way.😉
  • edited August 2016
    "<em>surprising to see very aggressive non complementary post from you.</em>"

If I pay that much for a car, I am going to be critical. Fortunately for Tesla, they give me a lot less to be critical of. But I won't defend them blindly. I will defend them from nonsense arguments, which tend to be the bulk outside of this forum.
  • edited August 2016
    I've waited almost 2 months for the authorized Tesla repair shop to obtain a replacement bumper for my Model S and am still waiting. Another customer said she had to wait 6 months for a replacement bumper for her Model S! Tesla really needs to get its act together on this issue.
  • edited August 2016
    Wait until you need major body work done. Not only is it ridiculously expensive but you have the slow parts acquisition process to make it even more enjoyable.
  • edited November -1
    do you have the new fascia or classic? that could be the delay
  • edited November -1
    Still waiting for the two week call to come up - I dearly hope it isn't for rivets. ;-p

Wife won't get Takata airbag (only for drivers seat!!!) until mid September for her 2005 Mustang...just sayin'.
  • edited November -1
    Maybe it's time to look into investing in rivet futures. Seems to be a product in very short supply :-)
  • edited August 2016
    What is the color? My buddy Mike can get one for you tonight. ;)
  • edited November -1
    I rearended someone around the end of July. Airbags went off and front is crumpled. Body shop told me they are still waiting for parts.

I called Tesla support and emailed them but there was no answer on the phone local they direct me to and there was no reply to my email even though they said they will reply to all email within two business days.

I called my local Tesla branch and they explained that up to a few weeks ago there was only one person in Fremont looking after parts for all bodyshops and he was overwhelmed. Said Tesla is in process of delegating parts supply to bodyshops through local branches.

That was two weeks ago.

Phoned up bodyshop this morning to see if I can get a purchase order number or some other reference so that I can contact Tesla to expedite things and the bodyshop told me that is not how they do business with Tesla. Bodyshop emails Tesla for parts, Tesla emails them from time to time that some of the parts are on the way. Sometimes they don't get parts they are suppose to have.

In other words, there is no way to track anything. It is possible that my part requisition may not be in the system at all.

Unfortunately, everyone knows how much I like my Tesla and now they all know how long and frustrating this parts supply experience is. Waiting for about 7 weeks for parts with no way of knowing when it will come is not a good way to support a user.
  • edited September 2016
    My body shop got the parts in about a week. They are just waiting for me to bring my car in next week to do the repairs.

Must depend on the parts needed.
  • edited September 2016
    If it makes you feel any better, everything on my i3 had a minimum of 3 to 4 weeks to get it.
  • edited September 2016
    But all of these stories of parts delays are riveting.
  • edited September 2016
    Rx - Ouch! It's also truly pathetic that parts of the company continue to be run so poorly..
  • edited September 2016
    @barry, indeed. Hasn't affected me yet, but give it time.