General

Please Read First Before Posting On The Forums

edited January 2016 in General
Tesla’s forum provides an online meeting space for owners and enthusiasts to exchange ideas that are entertaining, helpful and useful. We encourage you to participate and only ask that you be respectful of others. Don’t post messages that are obscene, vulgar, hateful, sexual in nature, infringe on the proprietary rights of others, or impersonate or misrepresent yourself or other individuals, including Tesla employees. Only post material which you own or for which you have received a copyright license. Whatever you post, we reserve the right to copy and use. We also reserve the right to edit or delete your post as well as suspend your account.

All posts represent the author’s views and not of Tesla’s.

Comments

• Does anyone know if Tesla subsidizes hand control installations in their cars. Most manufacturers offer $500 to $1000 to offset the costs of installing these controls. I cannot get an answer out of Tesla support on this issue.
  • Can anyone explain the meaning of +68 mi while supercharging at the rate of 285 mi/hr + 68 mi? Thanks
  • @mike - I believe you are referring to the number of miles range added (+63) since charging began. Rought it sounds like you have been charging for 14 minutes when you jotted these numbers down if the rate remained the same during that time. Note that the rare often does not stay the same, especially when using Superchargers. It tapers down to a lower rate as you fill-up. This is done to maintain battery longevity.
  • Why don't links (be they image or sites) work here anymore?

Alternatively, how do you make image or site links work here now?
  • Great we can't even flag spam anymore.
  • @blue adept - Images haven't worked for years, and links were disabled in the new forum release, perhaps to reduce the interest of spammers - as that's the only way they make money.

Ok, install my Chrome extension and it automatically converts URLs to clickable links. It also shows many images and YouTube videos inline. Some image sites like imgur don't provide a real image link, so there is nothing I can do for those and I can only leave them as a click link. Here's more on what the TTAP extension does:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/teslatap-assistant-pro/iafcefggmgolmighmficgifeemonokih

@WW_spb - Flags work, but they upped the limit. In the old forum, it was 7, then for a short while it was 5, and now I think it's about 9 flags. My TTAP extension shows you the number of flags so far, similar to the forum Like counts. The 5 counts limit was nice. On the plus side, I see very little new spam, so the new software is doing a far better job at preventing it in the first place.
  • @"TeslaTap.com"

Having been around here for 10 or so years I'm well aware that on-site images haven't been an available feature for some time now though we've typically been able to post active links to images and sites for reference until this recent upgrade.

And now you're telling me that the only way I can enjoy such functionality is to do the one thing I've been avoiding doing...installing your extension?!

https://i.imgur.com/gwVLi.gif
  • @blue adept - Don't blame me. I like to provide solutions for myself and if others find value, great! If not, don't use it, but you'll have to live with the forum limitations. No one is forcing you to use TTAP.

For example, the animated GIF you attached shows up inline without having to copy the URL and paste it in a separate browser window. Almost every feature of TTAP can be turned on or off to suit your desires. It only works for the Chrome browser on a PC. Extensions are not supported on a phone.
  • @"TeslaTap.com" Works on a Mac as well ;-)
  • Looking for any information related to when the new Texas factory will be completed and how to apply to work there? Have browsed through the entire website but have not found any results? I would love to apply for a position and move there to work. It is a great and rare opportunity, any feedback would help, thanks!
  • Outside of Austin, check https://www.tesla.com/careers
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @blue adept - Don't blame me. I like to provide solutions for myself and if others find value, great! If not, don't use it, but you'll have to live with the forum limitations. No one is forcing you to use TTAP.
    >

Subtleassive aggressiveness aside, fair enough.

> @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > For example, the animated GIF you attached shows up inline without having to copy the URL and paste it in a separate browser window. Almost every feature of TTAP can be turned on or off to suit your desires. It only works for the Chrome browser on a PC. Extensions are not supported on a phone.
    >

I'm not the one missing out since I already know what it looks like, that's why I posted it.

So what about 'trackers', 'site analytics' and other such annoyances, can I 'turn those off'?
  • I think you are confusing Chrome extensions with phone apps. Many phone apps do have trackers, analytics, and even ads!.

Chome extensions are far more limited than phone apps and each extension is vetted by Google before release - including each modification. There are no trackers or analytics. I have no idea how people are using TTAP or any options they use or don't use.
  • Going for the hard sell I see.

Tell you what, login to your app and post that page's live link here for me to click on and check out, k?
  • @"blue adept" why the sudden distrust?

TT helped me out with the HOW TO years ago. He doesn’t have adverts on his site.

It is a Chrome browser extension. Nothing more.

Suspend your disbelief.
  • I understand blue's concern, but he's confusing phone apps with extensions. Phone apps are a whole different ballgame (and I've written those too). Some bad actors in the app area have installed trackers and analytics, dump ads, and may do other undesirable things. I also have a fairly high mistrust of free apps today. In fact, all our apps are paid ($0.99) and we support them with a real company.
    I've stopped writing apps as the market is so crowded today. I made all of $25 selling apps last month, so my approach is not a profit maker. The successful apps today are mostly free with ads, something I hate.

In a Chrome extension, trackers/analytics don't exist by the framework, even if someone wanted to include them.

Talking about apps, I watched the movie My Spy last night on Amazon. An ok movie. The girl finds the CIA agent with a WiFi signal-strength app. I think it was fake for the movie, but I actually sell a WiFi app that does something similar - useful to find the best reception area which usually results in the best bandwidth. Again, like most of my projects, I write them for a need I have and sometimes others find them useful. Luckily I don't have to live off that income :)
  • ** Edit:

@"TeslaTap.com"

'Subtleassive aggressiveness aside, fair enough.'

Was suppose to read:

> Subtle passive aggressiveness aside, fair enough. <
  • @NKYTA

Nothing "sudden" about my distrust.

I've always trusted the Tesla Motors site itself, but @TeslaTap.com is a whole other entity entirely with whom I am unfamiliar with who has not only set up their own, competing Tesla site, but has now also written an app "extension" that interacts with Tesla's mother site!

What can I say? I'm paranoid and while I could explain my reasoning, it's complicated.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > I understand blue's concern, but he's confusing phone apps with extensions. Phone apps are a whole different ballgame (and I've written those too). Some bad actors in the app area have installed trackers and analytics, dump ads, and may do other undesirable things. I also have a fairly high mistrust of free apps today. In fact, all our apps are paid ($0.99) and we support them with a real company.
    > I've stopped writing apps as the market is so crowded today. I made all of $25 selling apps last month, so my approach is not a profit maker. The successful apps today are mostly free with ads, something I hate.
    >
    > In a Chrome extension, trackers/analytics don't exist by the framework, even if someone wanted to include them.
    >

So that's a 'pass' on posting a live link from your account here so I can review it..."?"

> @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Talking about apps, I watched the movie My Spy last night on Amazon. An ok movie. The girl finds the CIA agent with a WiFi signal-strength app. I think it was fake for the movie, but I actually sell a WiFi app that does something similar - useful to find the best reception area which usually results in the best bandwidth. Again, like most of my projects, I write them for a need I have and sometimes others find them useful. Luckily I don't have to live off that income :)

There are a whole host of WiFi signal-strength apps available through Google:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wifisignalstrengthmeter

As well as some for Apple, Windows and Android devices:

https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/wifi-analyzers/

So WiFi signal strength apps are not so "fake" afterall.
  • @"blue adept"

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/174895/new-how-to-use-your-tesla-and-these-new-forums

This HOW TO was curated solely on the old Tesla forums back in 2012 (when I took delivery of my Model S). I inherited ownership from a busy bagel shop owner outside of NYC.

When Tesla hamstrung the forums for the first time (no images, harder to post links, hyperlinks boffled), I took over and discussed a better solution since @"TeslaTap.com" was already curating a non-ad-based site full of even more information about Tesla cars and tech.

He went out of his way to reproduce the original HOW TO, in a better format.

His Chrome extension is just another help, first for the old forum, now for the new.

We owe him gratitude.

Go ahead and think what you want, but I know Web and Security and you are barking up the wrong tree, by a country mile.
  • FYI, I have flagged your recent two posts.

They are erroneous.
  • My Homelink doesn’t work after software update 2020.32.3
    I rebooted and still doesn’t work. What should I do to correct?
  • > @NKYTA said:
    > FYI, I have flagged your recent two posts.
    >
    > They are erroneous.

Then you, yourself, were erroneous in your actions as WiFi signal strength apps and programs have been readily available since the public-wide distribution of WiFi.

In fact, both most phones and computers come with them (signal meters) preinstalled as part of their basic operations package.

All anyone has to do, yourself included, is Google "wifi signal strength meter" to see the truth for themselves.
  • “ So WiFi signal strength apps are not so "fake" afterall.”

Where did I say I disagreed with your entire post?
  • > @"blue adept" said:> @TeslaTap.com is a whole other entity entirely with whom I am unfamiliar with who has not only set up their own, competing Tesla site, but has now also written an app "extension" that interacts with Tesla's mother site!

1) If you are so unfamiliar with my site, why do you then turn around and state it's competition for Tesla? That's comical :) Let's see, Tesla has about $25 billion a year in revenue. I don't make a profit from my meager book sales over the cost of running my site. That doesn't bother me, as I'm not in it for the money, but enjoy helping fellow Tesla owners.

2) Please read a little more carefully. I suggested the app used in the movie was fake. I never stated there were no other WiFi meters or they were fake apps. Looking at the display in the movie (about 1/2 second of screen time) it looked wildly enlarged likely to make it visible to the audience. Nothing wrong with that either, as they are trying to make it understandable in a fraction of a second and it wasn't necessary that they had a working app. I expect it is a prop as are most "apps" shown in a movie. They have to get across a concept - it isn't important that it is real when making a movie.

A good WiFi meter app shows far more details. A 5-bar phone indicator that is slow to react is quite different than a 0-100% indicator that responds quickly. For example, if you are in a Starbucks, you might want to find the location for the strongest WiFi. The 5-bar phone indicator is quite crude but could be used. A WiFi meter makes it a lot easier to find the best location. I'm not trying to sell you or anyone on a WiFi meter, but just pointing out an interesting aspect of a movie I watched and funny that I had made such an app myself years ago.

I still don't understand why you twist everything into the super negative. Very strange. Must be sad to always be so upset with everyone and everything. Enjoy life and try to see the positives.