Model S

Some Tesla management need to be fired and replaced

edited November -1 in Model S
My MS was involved in a minor fender bender in November. Needs a new quarter panel and few minor odds and ends replaced. It took over 2 months for the quarter to arrive at the Tesla approved body shop (close to 10 weeks, actually)! Not a big deal in terms of discomfort, as the car was still in my possession and drivable.

The car has been at the shop since Feb 2 and nothing is currently being done. Why? Because the shop is waiting on rivets. Yes, rivets! They tell me they called Tesla about the delay and were told - here comes that favorite word - SOON...

This is really unacceptable customer service. Here we have a "boutique" company that can't deliver parts in a reasonable time. Hard to imagine them coping with the presumed volume of the Model 3 era.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Is it really Tesla's fault? If the shop ordered the quarter panel, why didn't they order the rivets as well?
  • edited November -1
    From what I'm told, once they removed the damaged quarter panel, they found something else under it that needed replacement, so they need more rivets than supplied for just the quarter panel.
  • edited November -1
    Wow...
  • edited November -1
    I agree with you that 10 weeks is a long time to wait for a part, however, I don't think you can put this all on Tesla if the shop wasn't thorough in assessing the parts they needed to do the job.
  • edited February 2016
    Come on people, how long should it take for additional rivets to be sent, throw them in a Fedex Pouch and they are at the shop in a day!! Mine was side swiped on 1-16-16. Appraisal was completed on 1-21-16, parts were ordered on 1-17-16. Parts finally arrived on 2-24-16. About a month (subtracting the shipping) for a New Wheel and Clips, the rest is just paint and body work, unless they find something else. One month for a wheel and Clips is much too long!!
  • edited November -1
    My body shop told me last month that Tesla just got a new person to head that department. They had a long chat about needed improvements with regards to parts acquisition.
  • edited November -1
    I'm not clear here...wouldn't rivets be standard fasteners (like nuts and bolts) they should just keep in a bin? If your repair needs 8 rivets, they don't just order 8 rivets, do they?
  • edited November -1
    WHitchings - that's a good question. When I dropped my car off about a month ago, there were 5 other Teslas I saw in the lot. Probably a few more inside being worked on. I kidded with the service tech and asked, "Can't you just pick them up at Home Depot?" Apparently not...
  • edited February 2016
    Poor inventory control. I wonder if the parts in question are sourced overseas and have been delayed (like much else) by the recent ports strike.
  • edited November -1
    TM for customer's service sake keep it simple, please provide a list of all approved parts by a original & third party suppliers/Mfg.
  • edited November -1
    @captain_zap
    You must be taking about Karim Bousta, a six Sigma Black Belt :)
  • edited November -1
    I've been waiting 4-5 months on parts to fix a squeezing steering wheel etc. So is it acceptable? Maybe not so much for me but for me the service center and the people there have been awesome. So we should separate out what is good vs what is. It. I'm thinking the parts issues are just plain money issues. They spend only what they need aka just in time for the cars they need to build vs cars already out there which have "realized value vs unrealized value". Cars being built are not "money" until the get out the door. Cars already out there are negative value and are less proritized. I could be wrong but running no stock and all just in time manufacturing keeps money liquid. My car is almost one year since delivery in March. They have to improve this I think.
  • edited November -1
    @barrykmd - Bummer on the parts. You didn't state when the shop ordered the rivets. At worse case it was 23 days ago (and counting), but it could have been 1 day ago. Not really clear yet if the delay is the shop's fault or Teslas fault. Also where are you located? If in California, I'd expect shipping is a few days (likely sent via UPS ground unless the shop requested overnight shipping). If shipped to some far away country, it might be weeks just in shipping. Too many unknowns to entirely blame Tesla (yet).
  • edited November -1
    Hang in there, barrykmd - You're absolutely right, of course, and this is yet another opportunity for Tesla to improve. Don't let the apologists get you down. Fortunately, it appears that there has been a change in management. Perhaps reaching out directly to that individual might produce faster results?

These aren't inaccessible people, folks. Believe you me, they'd much rather hear directly from you, the owner/customer/shareholder than from an investigative reporter or industry publication.
  • edited February 2016
    Teslatap - the rivets were ordered at least 2 weeks ago, probably closer to 3 weeks. I first called the shop for an status update last Monday, and they said, "hopefully the rivets will arrive Wednesday." Not wanting to be a pest, I called today, 8 days later, and they are still waiting. I'm in Colorado, so 2-3 day shipping the cheap way.

As I said in an earlier post, I saw at least 5 other Teslas in their lot, so repairing one is more than an occasional job for them.

Tao - I'm hanging...
  • edited February 2016
    If this were a one off case, I might agree that it might not be Tesla's fault. But I've seen plenty of posts from people in this situation and not one from somebody who got quick turnaround time.

With other cars, I've been told that the body shop couldn't get to it that day because they would have to wait for parts to come in, so they would get to it tomorrow. In some cases there might have been an additional delay of a day or two. What Tesla does isn't right. They should have somebody who takes orders and ships out parts. They should try to have an inventory equal to demand. It should not take longer to get parts than it takes to order a car from scratch and have it built.
  • edited February 2016
    So many excuses, it must be the "Tesla Spell" Ports Strike, (working in the industry) the ports have been back to normal for 6 months now, shipping two-three weeks we are talking rivets, FedEx next day under 15.00. Cars Building and Cars Sold what a crazy post that is. Lets see TM spends a good amount of $ promoting and pushing referral programs, yet all the negativity about being able to get simple parts in a reasonable time frame, kills any referring I've done. I guess TM thinks people seeing damaged cars being driven around creates brand awareness, it may but it is negative brand awareness. At least once a day, I am asked how did you Tesla get hit, and how much and how long will it take for the repair. My answer the repair will be 5 days but the parts will take at least a month and that is for a wheel and some clips. Does anyone really think the buyers of the Model 3 will quietly accept long drawn our waits just for parts? I do not think so. By now TM should have built up a parts inventory, $$ should not be an issue, as they are not providing these parts for free!!! Too many Fan Boys Here, enough is enough!!!
  • edited February 2016
    it's a micro company and inconveniences are to be expected unfirunately
  • edited February 2016
    unfortunately.. wth is unfirunately!?!?
  • edited February 2016
    Micro Company, New Entrant, Start Up, they are a multi billion dollar company with over 7000 employees. TM needs to take the blame and publically fix the problem, enough with the excuses!
  • edited February 2016
    Had a dent on my quarter panel and I was afraid something like this would happen so I had some dent repairs guys look at it and try to pull it out instead of replacing the panel at a "Tesla approved shop (who said it can't be done since it is an aluminum body car)." Looks 90% better and I spent $200 instead of the $1500 they were quoting me for the quarter panel + the waiting time. Best decision I've made this year.
  • edited November -1
    I'm taking my quarter panel to paint less dent repair. My dent isn't very bad, and paintless probably = painless.

Sorry to hear about your issues, I believe Tesla has room for improvement here.
  • edited February 2016
    Make a stink, I say, with Tesla you have the best chance at changing corporate policy. You go, BarryKMD!

This actually reminds me of when I had my HPWC installed...while the electrician was competent (it was his first HPWC install, he did a fine job), his management only sent him with EXACTLY the length of wire to run the conduit, nothing more. When the electrician discovered that the estimator's drawing of my installation was incorrect, he had to stop work and run to Home Depot to get 6 more feet of wire. I thought wire was sitting on a reel on the truck, just take what you need. But NOOOOOOO the managers sent him with 39 feet of wire by God and not an inch more...
  • edited February 2016
    So I spoke with the body shop this morning. They ordered 20 of one rivet and 30 of another size on Feb 8. They last contacted Tesla on 2/22. Tesla told them the 20 rivets will be expedited (meaning the order sat for 2 weeks with nothing being done), but they haven't received them as of this morning, 2/26. The other rivet, which they need 30, is OUT OF STOCK!

I called the Ownership 800 number and left a voicemail for someone in the parts department. If /when I hear back from him, I'll post what transpires.

SilverP85plus - A micro company - seriously? Does that mean Elon's kids are pulling rivets out of mayonnaise jars in their garage and mailing them out? :-)
  • edited February 2016
    Keep in mind that blaming "parts availability" is an easy way for the shop to deflect questions about slow progress..... not saying it isn't true, just that it's an easy and tempting explanation to give.....