Model S

P100D Coming Soon

edited November -1 in Model S
There's a report that the firmware has references to a P100D model, including an image. It could just be that the software guys were told that was the next model, so they went ahead and put in the codes for it. My guess is that it will be announced at the March 31st event.

http://electrek.co/2016/03/04/tesla-os-hacker-model-s-p100d/

Comments

• edited March 2016
    It's pretty muched debunked at TMC as a baseless speculation.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/63841-Tesla-is-going-to-do-a-100D-and-P100D
  • edited March 2016
    where in that thread was the debunking?

there is another thread there were apparently the person's firmware was downgraded.
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/63905-Tesla-s-response-to-me-leaking-info-about-the-P100D

Of course it may be that the alleged P100D may just be a placeholder name and not available for a year, so "coming soon" may not be true.
  • edited November -1
    We're about due for a pack update announcement with shipping expected by Q4. I could see such an announcement (100 kWh) coming at the 3/31 event just to sweeten the pot for the existing product line. Smart move.
  • edited November -1
    Not only a place holder means nothing but it's also illogical for Tesla to release and ship a few X Model 90D and then release the 100D soon after. It will do nothing but to piss off everyone who bought the X.
  • edited March 2016
    Upgrades and changes are a fact of life. There will always be someone who ordered the previous version right before the one comes out. Same thing happened with Autopilot.

People who paid for the X90D, will get what they paid for.
    Some people who wait will get other options.

Tesla can't sit around and not advance the industry because they sold some of the older models already.
  • edited November -1
    Look at the new 19" wheels shipping standard on the S. I paid 2500 extra for the Cyclones, as have some that just received their vehicles. The continual upgrade process at Tesla is a good thing.

Buy the car you need when it's available. Don't look back. Ask Orpheus how it works out.
  • edited November -1
    Might also want to take the TMC talking ^H^H^H typing heads with a grain of salt.

After all, some of those same geniuses asserted that we would never have back-up lines in the rear camera view with the current hardware. Yep.

Announcing a 100kWh pack as an option six months hence, and at a premium, no less, will not upset the current apple cart. It also helps bolster the base; one of the bigger concerns going forward will be to mitigate a demand warp (slowing demand) for the Model S as the Model 3 nears. We who are familiar with the Model S may not see all that much of a conflict - but as it stands today, the majority of car buying folk still don't know a Tesla from a turnip.

While I would much rather a used Model S than a brand new Model 3 (each in the $40K net range in early 2018), a whooooole bunch of people will want those shiny Model 3s. A 120kWh pack option for a new Model S at that time would be pretty darned compelling if one wanted to juxtapose leasing a new Model S versus buying a used Model S versus buying a new Model 3 with less range and fewer goodies.
  • edited November -1
    Tesla would have a very good reason to put out a 100 ASAP if they can do it. It won't hurt existing customers who can go as far as before. What it would do is offer a range of 320. It's about how many miles I was able to go on a tank of gas with my last car before I needed to fill it up. That's not with the needle below empty and doesn't represent the theoretical MPG times the tank's capacity in gallons. But reading that an EV will go just as far on a charge as my ICE went on a tank of gas is a much better starting point.

It would also mean that I'd be able to take a 500 mile trip easily with a single stop for lunch and not have to worry about needing a second stop. It would mean that a single stop would be enough to get me to my destination on such a trip with an adequate reserve and no need to find a place to charge immediately upon arrival.

But it will also come at a cost. Tesla is putting in more and more superchargers, and the more there are that are spaced properly for a trip, the fewer stops I'll need to make. It's at the point that I might be able to make the longest trip I've taken so far with a single stop, while before the chargers weren't spaced in a way that made that possible. So I don't see existing owners being stuck with obsolete tech. Even if I tried the trip and didn't make it on one charge, I'd also be passing three more chargers on the route, so I wouldn't be stuck and might need another 10-15 minute charge. If I have to do that a couple of times a year at most, it might add up to five hours over the next decade. I have to ask myself what five hours of time is worth and whether it would warrant a $10K upgrade. Each owner would have to answer that on his/her own.
  • edited March 2016
    Elon confirmed "white hat" exploit reveal.

• edited November -1
    Given the relatively few deliveries to date of the Model X, it would be great for Tesla to start shipping the 100, first in the Model X (which needs it most) and eventually in the Model S. Bigger batteries are certainly coming and, predictably, when that happens, there will be lots of griping from new owners who "missed out".

There's no question it will happen "soon". Maybe it will happen soon.
  • edited March 2016
    My guess is that a 105'kwh pack is coming, not with new technology but with slightly bigger cells built in NV. The capacity could be as great as 108 kWh using the existing box and plumbing but 105 is a nice conservative number. Think 20700 cells instead of 18650. Probably in early 2016. Adds about 150 pounds or so to the pack (3% overall weight increase) but that will result in an increase in rated range of 15-17%. At the same time the cost to build the pack will be about 1/3 less than that of the 90 kWh pack.
  • edited November -1
    Just some guy trying to be a smart a$$...

"I discovered your secret"... as if Tesla working on a larger battery would be a secret. The only secret is when will it be available for purchase. My money is ready waiting for the day...
  • edited March 2016
    When is not a secret.

"Soon" as we all know.
  • edited November -1
    In 5 years everyone on this forum will be talking about how the 100 kWh is not enough range and if only they would have a 120 kWh, then it would be ideal.

In 10 years everyone on this forum will be talking about how the 120 kWh is not enough range and if only they would have a 140 kWh, then it would be ideal.

In 15 years everyone on this forum will be talking about how the 140 kWh is not enough range and if only they would have a 160 kWh, then it would be ideal.

and so on...
  • edited March 2016
    300 mile range would be the great tipper.
  • edited March 2016
    160 kWh times 70% remaining = 110 kWh.... that is desirable as battery degradation becomes virtually meaningless.

200 mile real world range with home charging works like a charm

Without home charging 300-350 miles is much better ( that is what most refill station dependent gas cars have )

Bigger battery = bigger market
  • edited March 2016
    60 vs 85 was 8000 premium for 25 kW, with supercharging enabled, now 70 vs 90 is 13000 for 20 kW. So the 70 is the deal to grab.
  • edited November -1
    There might be truly a 100D or there might not be one. A new battery might come tomorrow or might come next year, or even later. We already knew for suer there will be a higher capacity battery in the future. That guy got his 3 minutes of fame but changed nothing. Nothing to see here.
  • edited March 2016
    Just like death and taxes, you can count on tech inevitably advancing. If it doesn't, something is wrong.

What we don't know is when.

What the hacker did was to try to stir up attention on the indistinct future with the specific intent of making it harder for Tesla to manage their business.

In effect, an inverted form of FUD.

How is that helpful?

I am quite certain that at some point we'll see vtol jets from the same gang, in effect, flying cars. So do you not want to benefit from the currently available advances for the next several years because this will eventually come in the indistinct future?

By the time we're dead, I'm sure the latest models will be awesome. How exactly will we enjoy those?
  • edited November -1
    I don't really think this will go on forever. Once we got to a 125, we'd be close to the limit of how much driving most people would want to do on a single trip without stopping for the night. The discussion would be good for those who drive for a living or businesses that use cars in shifts, but charging infrastructure would be more widespread. Some people would still argue that they'd like to be able to eliminate the 15 minute stop if the drove from San Francisco to Los Angeles, but most people would still want to stop for at least a snack. When you get to 150 it will be like SD cards for video cameras. The question of how much you need to make sure you won't run out of capacity for the day is no longer there.
  • JADJAD
    edited March 2016
    But if the new 125 kw battery weighs 10% less than the old 125 kw battery, that would also be huge. Better range, better acceleration, better handling, better everything. There is no end to this game...
  • JADJAD
    edited March 2016
    But if the new 125 kw battery weighs 10% less than the old 125 kw battery, that would also be huge. Better range, better acceleration, better handling, better everything. There is no end to this game...
  • edited March 2016
    @Mark K,

"What the hacker did was to try to stir up attention on the indistinct future with the specific intent of making it harder for Tesla to manage their business."

Um not really. Here are the facts:

The P85D "owner" found something in his car's code showing a P100D was coming. He sent a hashed message to Tesla which was subsequently broken.

He then refrained from releasing additional information found inside the code. Go read the thread on TMC.
  • edited November -1
    @JAD

Althogh replacement battery pack has to maintain the original weight because it will change driving dynamics and safety certification.
    edited March 2016
    Someone who thinks outside the box suggested that the Plaid version would be when they release the 141Kw battery version.

P141D = PLAID

interesting thought.....
    http://gas2.org/2016/03/06/breaking-news-tesla-p100d-is-on-the-way/