Model 3

Less obvious details from the unveiling

edited April 2016 in Model 3
  • Door handles - one car has Model S style handles, while another had a new style. Both flush.
  • Single large display. No instrument panel, but a large 17"? center display for all information
  • Has a Frunk and Trunk
  • Has a center console with two cup-holders
  • LED headlights
  • Battery in the floor like the S and X, so flat floor for rear seat passengers
Updates:
  • Door handles - appear to be flush, but manually opened
  • AWD option will be available (and prototype are AWD)
  • Not a hatchback, but has a trunk lid with deep opening

Comments

• edited April 2016
    I found the lack of instrument panel interesting...I have a model S but still reserved. Will be curious to see what the upper end models look like. I purchased a S60 w/Autopilot. Will have to see what other upgrades the 3 will have.
  • edited April 2016
    I hope the console is optional.
  • edited April 2016
    Looks to have the same windscreen style as the X?

I liked that the panel was landscape not portrait, That Frunk doesn't look as big as the S
  • edited April 2016
    looked like the windshield to the back window was one single piece of glass...
  • edited April 2016
    I bet in the end it will have an instrument panel
  • edited April 2016
    It might project drivers display on the windscreen.
  • edited April 2016
    The stream dropped out a few time for me. Did Elon mention AWD? I think he said something about moving the "firewall" forward to make room for adult legs. But there would be limited space to do that with AWD, I would think.

Love the exterior, except for the big "fat lip" on the front. At least I won't have any hesitation about putting a license plate on the front now. ;-)

115,000 reservations in 24 hours!
  • Display is 15" it seems
  • edited April 2016
    When they started talking about safety and they virtually "built up" the parts of the car, it seemed to me that there were definitely two motors.
  • edited April 2016
    I wish more details were provided. What is the expected range? Battery capacity? 4 seater or 5?
  • edited April 2016
    15" display, single glass rear wind shield through the back roof but what about the front? Perhaps it has to be done this way for the sunroof?

I think it needs to have some kind of heads up display for speedo looking to the side for speed will be annoying.

Matte paint job is top on my list right now. Love the wheels
  • edited April 2016
    @pepsundar, Elon said 215 mile EPA range, and that it seats 5 adults comfortably
  • edited April 2016
    @mscott
    When they were showing the build up view it displayed dual motors so I'm thinking all wheel drive is, at least, an option.

Sounds like auto-pilot will be an option, the hardware will be there though!
  • edited April 2016
    Will it be a hatchback? With that single glass rear windshield, my dad thinks it can't be a hatch. Hope he's wrong, because the S is just so darn practical.
  • edited April 2016
    If it retains that design without an instrument panel, it will probably have a HUD, because the info will have to be straight in front of the driver for security reasons.
  • edited April 2016
    Looked like cup holders in the rear doors and the center console had 2 cup holders.
  • edited April 2016
    @Xerogas Thanks. The live stream went off several times, so I missed that part.
  • edited April 2016
    Reserved mine. A quick message 'Your reservation confirmed' appeared as soon as I clicked the reserve now. No email yet. My bad, I didn't take a screen shot. :-(
  • edited April 2016
    They didn't all have the same handles, and I doubt the red one was a real car. I think it was a mock up. The first two were driven on, and either the lighting was very bad or the back on the red one wasn't designed to open. It's too early to tell, but I expect that we'll see as many changes between now and when it comes out as we saw between the X mock up and the final product.

I think the production S looks nicer than the prototype and I expect that if they do make changes to the 3, they might be subtle since we know what car we will be getting, but they might be for the better. It's a nice enough start that it could survive as a final product.

I don't know if it's realistic to expect it to make it to production with no instrument panel. The nice thing about a center screen is that it's generic enough to put everything on for now, while the instrument panel would need very specific hardware to actually function.

I'm definitely not asking for my deposit back.

This also puts an end to the "it will compete with the Bolt" argument. GM committed to 30,000 and somewhere stated a maximum that they'd ever make, given the availability of components for the battery. Tesla already outsold them in a few hours, so whether the Bolt fizzles out completely or GM sells the maximum they ever intend to make, Tesla has already beaten them. I hate to use that word, since there's enough room in the market for plenty of vehicles, but for those in the press who insist that the Bolt will kill off Tesla, the argument is DOA.
  • edited April 2016
    Notice that the door windows have rimless glass
  • edited April 2016
    And notice it is hatchback
  • edited April 2016
    Notice no ≡ logo on the back of any one of the Model ≡ !
  • edited April 2016
    remember...concept car. With orders.

No grill = cheaper. Like a Renault Dauphine from the 60s
  • edited April 2016
    @pepsunder; what they say on here: no pics, it didn't happen
  • edited April 2016
    I like that the main (center) panel is so high. Makes it easier to see with out taking ones eyes off road.