Just finished watching the reveal. It started almost right on time. Big items:
1) Supercharger capable
2) 5-star rating in all categories
3) Fits 5 adults comfortably
4) 215 miles of EPA range
5) $35K base price, but "It will still be a great care w/o any options."
6) Auto-pilot hardware included on all versions; all safety features included (so there will be "convenience" upgrades)
7) Showed dual-motor config in the video (was not mentioned though)
- 115,000 reservations in past 24 hours was announced during the Reveal! Elon tweeted at 19:27 Pacific that reservations had hit 232K!
- 15-inch touch screen is mounted in landscape; no driver's dash screen like Model S/X (yet?)
- Roof is made of continuous pieces of glass to give head room and sense of space; Event driver mentioned body color, glass and able to open options
- Has a trunk, not a liftback/hatchback (see below)
- Looks pretty cool w/ no faux nose cone
- Manual recessed door handles (see below) — that's why they have a little part on top, so your thumb can press the handle up
- Gigafactory is already in production
- Base version 0-60 mph in less than 6 seconds
- Doubling world-wide Service Centers to 441 by next year
- Doubling world-wide Superchargers; 3608 Superchargers today -> 7200 by end of 2017
- 4x Destination chargers; 3689 Destination chargers today -> 15K by end of 2017
All of the performance and range specs are goals that Tesla hopes to exceed.
Best of all:
ELON: "I'm pretty confident they'll be ready by end of next year."From Elon's Twitter Feed:
Q: "Why small trunk lid instead of big hatchback like S&X? I ride a bike not a surfboard
A: " Only way to get enough rear passenger headroom was to move the rear roof cross-car support beam. A bike will still fit no problem."
Q: "What is Model 3's aerodynamic coefficient?"
A: "hopefully 0.21"
EM: "Model 3 will be RWD, with dual motor AWD optional. Even RWD will have great traction on ice due to fast torque response of Tesla drivetrain."
Q: "Reveal cars were AWD?"
A: "yes, but production AWD will be a lot faster"
Q: "~5k upgrade like on model s for dual motor? Or less since overall cost is lower?"
EM: "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."
Q: "Really hoping back seats can fold down on the 3."
A: "They can. Will be great for road trips and camping."
EM: "Edge and contour refinement are ongoing. Even 0.1mm matters."
EM: "Air suspension dynamically adjusts ride height."
EM: "Our production ramp plan should enable large numbers of non X/S customers to receive the credit.... We always try to maximize customer happiness even if that means a revenue shortfall in a quarter. Loyalty begets loyalty."
EM: "There will be an optional tow hitch."
EM: "Matte black was surprisingly popular. Probably makes sense to bring it to production."Pictures of some features
Manual Recessed Door Handles:
Trunk Getting Opened: