Model 3

Anyone concerned about dogs and model3?

2»

Comments

• edited April 2016
    So far, its just an "engineering prototype"
  • edited April 2016
    Those cars are designed to be and look like hatchbacks. No one ever said the Model ≡ was to be a hatchback.
  • edited April 2016
    @MattC Its not just a dog problem, it's functionality. How is having a hatch a problem while driving clients around? You do realize that the Model S is a hatchback, don't you? The hatchback market share is going up, while sedans are going down. Look how successful Subaru has become thanks to their hatchback line up. Sedans are outdated and for old people who don't do anything but commute and drive around in their cars. Millennials want cars they can use for other activities and which are more utilitarian without being a bulky SUV.
  • edited April 2016
    Is this forum moderated? With the 253k and counting new owners, we seem to be getting the same questions asked over and over in multiple threads.
  • edited April 2016
    Well, "reservation holders," I guess. "Owners" will be a short 18 months to 4 years away.....sniff, sniff.
  • edited April 2016
    Owning three dogs (62lbs, 64lbs, 85lbs) I don't see it as a problem. They fit in my Prius just fine. I fold down the rear seats. I also suspect the Model 3 rear seats fold down. That is based on Elon saying you can fit a 7' surfboard inside.

Would I like a true hatchback, yes.
    Is it a deal breaker, no.
    If they come out with the rumored cross-over based on the same platform will that be better. Off course.
    Am I willing to wait for a cross-over, No!
    The wife should be ready for a new vehicle by that time, let her wait.
    Honestly, two years will be pushing it a bit with the Prius. It has 315,000 miles. I might have to switch to plan B with my wife getting my Model 3. (Emoticons for holding breath, turning blue, screaming and throwing a temper tantrum)
  • edited April 2016
    Don't the Model 3 seats fold down?
  • edited April 2016
    My daughter has a Corolla and her large Lab just hops in the back seat. (Well, sometimes the front seat too).
    No hatchback required.
  • edited April 2016
    I think this might be a 'wait and see" thing. It might work well, might be OK, might be better to stick with an S, or X or wait for the Model 3 SUV.
  • edited April 2016
    I decided some time ago that should I ever own a dog again, it will probably be a Welsh Corgi. I'm not concerned.
  • edited April 2016
    "Anyone concerned about dogs and model3?"
    No, I'm sure the Model ≡ is plenty fast enough to out run them...

All kidding aside, I think they nailed it. Elon said it was going to be a sedan that could seat 5 comfortably, no mention of it being a hatchback. If you want a hatchback, wait for that model. Until then, as vperl says: Wait for,...wait for it.... Buy a KIA and be happy!
  • edited April 2016
    Not worried about dogs in the Model 3 or S(not sure which I'm getting yet), that's what my Leaf is for.
  • edited April 2016
    @dsvick & @Go_Peddle_4_me +1
    :D
    My dogs sit in back seat (when they are being good).

Some items from Elon's Twitter feed (see <a href="./oh-yes-model-%E2%89%A1-unveiled-0">M≡ Unveiled</a> post, among others, for summaries).

Rear seats fold
    The "hat rack" space above the trunk is fixed
  • edited April 2016
    I have a hatch right now. I don't like it. The hatch is stupid-heavy to open and the gain in functionality is minimal over a sedan with fold-down seats. Give me a sedan with better separation between cabin and trunk any day. My dogs ride in the backseat, not the trunk.
  • edited April 2016
    Family run with Golden -- Using our future Bolt that's going to fill the transition between our Fiat+Spark to Bolt+Model3