Florida

Florida Law Regarding Cars Stopped/Standing/Parked in Charging Spots

edited November -1 in Florida
Many times you will try to charge your car and there will be a non-EV cars either stopped, standing or parked in the designated spots. According to Florida law not only are non-EV car prohibited from parking there they are not even allowed to be stopped or standing there. I have even had the police say there is nothing they can do about it. I have looked up the provision within the Florida Law which prohibited this and keep copies in my Tesla. I then can provide it to the individual or if needed to the police and if the person is not around I will put a copy on their windshield.

You never want to get into an argument over the issue as there are crazy people in this world but if the person doesn't want to move and there are no other spots available you can always call the police. I would NOT call 911 as I wouldn't consider this an emergency but you can call the non-emergency number for the local police or county sheriff's office.

Here is a link to a PDF with the Florida Statutes. I have purposely put two on each page so you can copy and cut them in half.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qti8bs5b7k1hrvu/Florida Law - Charging Stations.pdf?dl=0

Comments

• edited April 2016
    This can be very frustrating. I even think that Tesla owners, who are blessed with longer range EV's should not charge unless it's necessary. Other EV's with shorter range should have preference.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks from a fellow Floridian.
  • edited November -1
    Manny13z. How do you know the destination or distance the Tesla is going to be traveling so you make a statement like you did on April 4, 2016.
  • edited April 2017
    Thanks for the PDF, helpful.
  • edited August 2019
    Trying to revive this as I have seen it. Most police officers do not know the law either, I wonder if you get an officer on scene (provided you wait) and then you show them the law, if they would issue the ICE car a citation? it is very frustrating to see a non-ev car parked in a charging spot, or an EV parked that's not charging..