Tesla has shown several areas where they have a distinct and growing lead over legacy Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) competitors.
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY by @GeorgeHawley
"A company succeeds by profitably pursuing their mission.... Tesla has jumped the automobile market and has locked in their lead with:"
• Great vehicles (S, X, 3, R2, Semi, & CT) including performance, features, looks, range, and safety
• Worldwide Supercharger and Destination Charger networks
• Big, automated car & battery factories
• Paradigm shifts for ordering, selling, and marketing
• New approaches to vertical integration, software/technology updates, and driving assistance/automation
• Tesla fans, early adopters, and technology enthusiasts
TABLE OF CONTENTS
I. ON A MISSION: https://forums.tesla.com/comment/1932092#comment-1932092
1. Clear Motivation
2. Energized Workforce
3. Safety First
4. The Tesla Effect: Fans, Early Adopters, and Technology Enthusiasts
II. FIRST PRINCIPLES: https://forums.tesla.com/comment/1932093#comment-1932093
5. Strategic Engineering Choices
6. High-tech Features
7. The Model 3 Has Innovative Design Features
8. Build A Better Battery
9. Style and Substance
III. STRATEGIC THINKING: https://forums.tesla.com/comment/1932094#comment-1932094
10. First-mover and Competitive Advantages
11. Charging Networks
12. A Much Better Driving Experience
13. Controlling Costs and Customer Experience
14. The Gigafactory: Tesla's Not-so Secret Weapon
15. Demand, Supply and Profits
• Why Not Join Supercharger Network?
• Pride, Prejudice, and Perspective
• References to Other Contributors
• Change Log
ABOUT THIS POST:
This started as response to another FUD article. Once I got going, I realized it was probably better as a top-level post. And, since the Model 3 section is where most of the new folks are, I thought I would at least start it there. I don't have to remind the old-timer Teslans here about all of this, but maybe this will be helpful for others. I have moved it to the General section to see if folks there would find it useful, but it did not last long.
Due to issues w/ editing the post I have broken it down into sections in comments. I have added links to the OP to each of these sections. Luckily they are all in a row so you can follow the first link and read through.
Please let me know what I can clarify, correct or add....
If you found this post useful, please use my referral code when get your Tesla Grin on:https://ts.la/jeffrey86901
If you liked this post, here are some other posts you might enjoy:
• All the reasons I pre-ordered a Tesla Model 3 — by Mark Morford @ SF Gate, starts w/ "Few events in human life match the soul-cringing unpleasantness of buying a new car in America."
• Oh Yes! Model 3 is Unveiled — recap right after the unveiling plus a bunch of other info added as it became available including pictures of the trunk, glass top, and manual recessed door handles
• Rebuttal: The Gigafactory is Tesla's Huge Mistake — my thoughts rebutting a short's view that Gigafactory is a bad idea.
• Under Promise, Over Deliver — my thoughts on what the Model 3 Unveiling should include as well as some revisions after the event.
• How To Easily Include the Model III Symbol** — inspired by @Red
Sage over a year ago.
• The Wait Begins: What it was like at Santana Row this morning — what it was like to wait in line and some polls/counts I took while in line
• Model 3 PD [Ludicrous] will be a sub-3-second car — "Tesla does not make slow cars." -- E.M.
• Daydreamer's Script for The Model 3 Event — a vision I just had to share about what an intro video to the M3 Unveiling could be like.
• Model 3 vs. Model S: How will they be different? — A very busy thread started over a year ago. I've updated w/ some actual Model 3 info as well.
• Model 3 FAQ — Another of J.T's Frequently Asked Questions posts. Need I say more
• Teslarati - Tesla Model 3: A change is coming and it will be huge — Our @PhillyGal
's ode to Tesla and the Model 3
• Tips & Tricks — Inspired by J.T's great FAQ, this post shows how to post images, search this forum and other useful things.
• Model S Efficiency and Range — JB and Elon's blog post on range and efficiency
• Wait, But Why: How Tesla Will Change The World — Part 2 of four-part series on Elon and his companies; this post covers the story of energy, cars and Tesla.
• TMC: @Doug_G
's "Cold Weather Driving" Blog — The one I always reference when people ask about dealing with the cold.
• Good Model 3 summary page by The Verge w/ great 5-minute super cut of Reveal Video.
• "Why You Hate the [non-Tesla] Service Department" by John Cadogan, Australia
Referred by @brando
Endnotes and References:
[1.1] "The Mission of Tesla" https://www.tesla.com/blog/mission-tesla
[1.2] "The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)" https://www.tesla.com/blog/secret-tesla-motors-master-plan-just-between-you-and-me
[1.3] "Master Plan, Part Deux" https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux
[1.4] "All Our Patent Are Belong To You" https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you
or search for: "Tesla All Our Patent Are Belong to You" https://www.google.ca/search?as_q=Tesla+All+Our+Patent+Are+Belong+to+You
(geek reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us)
[2.1] "Model 3 One-Million-mile Drivetrain"
[2.2] "Tesla One-Million-mile Battery" https://cleantechnica.com/2019/12/11/prediction-cybertruck-will-have-1-million-mile-battery/
[3.0] "Tesla 'Safety' Blog Posts" https://www.tesla.com/blog/tagged/safety
's note: Tesla has not done a good job of tagging articles; several are missing]
[3.1] "Model 3 achieves the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA" https://www.tesla.com/blog/model-3-lowest-probability-injury-any-vehicle-ever-tested-nhtsa
[3.2] "Model S Achieves Euro NCAP 5-Star Safety Rating" https://www.tesla.com/blog/model-s-achieves-euro-ncap-5star-safety-rating
[3.3] "Model X Earns a 5-Star Safety Rating from Euro NCAP" https://www.tesla.com/blog/model-x-earns-5-star-safety-rating-euro-ncap
[3.4] "Tesla Model X the First SUV Ever to Achieve 5-Star Crash Rating in Every Category" https://www.tesla.com/blog/tesla-model-x-5-star-safety-rating
[9.1] "The quickest car in the world, with record-setting acceleration, range, and performance." https://www.tesla.com/roadster
[11.1] "Tesla Supercharger Network" (main page) https://www.tesla.com/supercharger
[11.2] "Tesla Destination Charger Network" (main page) https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging
.nair points out that Nissan has invested in charging networks too, just not to the same degree as Tesla.
[12.1] "What is the Cause of the Tesla Grin?" https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/what-cause-t≡sla-grin
[12.2] "Winter Driving Redefined (video)" https://www.tesla.com/customer-stories/winter-driving-redefined
[13.0] "Find Us" (Tesla sales, service, and charging locations world-wide) https://www.tesla.com/findus/list
[13.1] NUMMI Plant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUMMI
[13.2] "Tesla hilariously finishes dead last in mystery shoppers study, salesmen found to act like ‘museum curators’" http://electrek.co/2016/07/11/tesla-finishes-last-mystery-shoppers-study-staff-like-museum-curators/
[16.1] "Google (news): Audi e-tron concept" https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#q=e+tron+concept+audi&tbm=nws
[16.2] My response to OP "Why won't other vehicle manufacturers take Tesla to the offer and provide supercharger access for their offerings as well?" https://forums.tesla.com/comment/928960#comment-928960
[16.3] "Chevrolet Cracks Open the Bolt, Shares Drivetrain Details" http://cleantechnica.com/2016/01/18/chevrolet-cracks-open-bolt-shares-drivetrain-details/
[16.4] "Is The New Chevy Bolt Really An LG Bolt?" http://cleantechnica.com/2016/01/26/new-chevy-bolt-really-lg-bolt/
[16.5] "WIRED: How GM Beat Tesla to the First True Mass-Market Electric Car" https://www.wired.com/2016/01/gm-electric-car-chevy-bolt-mary-barra/
[16.6] "OP: BMW #waitordrive commercials focused on Model 3 reservation holders" https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/bmw-waitordrive-commercials-focused-model-3-reservation-holders
Sage's comments from "Why won't other vehicle manufacturers take Tesla to the offer and provide supercharger access...?" https://forums.tesla.com/comment/930239#comment-930239