Model 3

Watched the Bolt intro - what a joke

edited November -1 in Model 3
It was relatively lame. Having the bolt come out of the wall to flashing lights was unimpressive. Stage fanfare, lights and effects for a vehicle that really looks like a $20k car. Nothing compares to the concept. The concept was deserving of this entry, not this ugly thing.

Mary B.'s comment was something like you don't have to drive to another state to purchase or service it. I have news for you Mary: in my Tesla at least I get to drive to the next state- or any of the lower 48 states. Expanding to Alaska in the future!

My service center is nearby. My SC legitimately cares about the car and has passion for what they are doing. My SC never once price haggled me. My SC is extrrmely helpful.

You will never see me enter GM dealership, or any other than Tesla stores.

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Oh and the like 4" high heels are comparable to men with big trucks- compensating.
  • edited November -1
    When the argument made is that "you dont have to drive to another state" then things are sad.
  • edited April 2016
    Looks like they got rid of the ignition switch...
  • edited November -1
    I watched the replay. Presentation looks like a 70s corporate meeting. Rehearsed, boring. While the Model 3 is not in production, people may buy it. I guess for the ones who drive less than 12k/year, a lease may work. But once they sell the first 200k models, tax incentive goes away.
  • edited November -1
    Lol
  • edited November -1
    Translation of the "drive to another state" comment: "Thanks to GM's lobbying efforts, we have made it illegal for Tesla to set up service centers in Michigan, and we will continue to use our corporate clout to make it as inconvenient as possible to own a Tesla."
  • edited November -1
    Generally when a company like GM cannot compete in the marketplace, their army of lawyers and paid lobbyists are always just a call away. No need to spend money on making a better product, just prevent competitors from selling their great products. Rather sad.
  • edited April 2016
    I'm sorry not to be mean the Bolt looks horrendous. I have a Prius and yes it's egg shaped but it's more appealing than the Bolt .
  • edited April 2016
    The bolt is exactly would I would expect from a GM economy car.
  • edited November -1
    One can not compete with Tesla AND be a compliance car. Choose a side!

I would rather Mary had taken the high-road instead of tossing insults at Tesla but I understand her frustration- GM has been "inconvenienced" into limited-production of the Bolt because of Tesla.

I want GM to succeed. I just wish they'd see the light. The door is wide open for any takers who wish to walk into the future.
  • edited November -1
    What's Bob Putz, I mean Lutz, been saying this week? He's been bashing Tesla to anyone who would listen for years. Has he said how terrible the Model 3 is yet?
  • edited November -1
    I think GM is assuming people will buy the Bolt because it is an EV and that everything else is not important. It's basically building electric versions of ICE cars.

By contrast, Tesla is making amazing cars that people want to buy. It's not an EV for EVs sake. It's an amazing car because it exploits the inherent advantages of EVs in terms of performance, weight distribution, etc.
  • edited April 2016
    Where did you see the Bolt intro? Was it from the CES show a few months ago, or did the do another one?
  • edited April 2016
    The only GM car I would ever consider buy is corvette. Any EV beside tesla is ugly as hell!
  • edited November -1
    The i8 looks nice, but of course that is way off of most people's radar.
  • edited April 2016
    Most people can't afford I8. It cost $120k +. EV meant for the mass and the model ≡ will accomplish that goal.
  • edited April 2016
    @jamil,
    i8, like the Volt, is not a BEV and solves nothing.
  • edited April 2016
    The i8 can drive about 60 Kilometer with battery power....watch YouTube videos, typing "model s bmw i8", there you can see how much faster Tesla will accelerate. In the end bmw is faster, cause the i8 use the fuel motor instead of the battery. The price for the i8 begins at 120k and not at about 70k like the Model S.
    Greetings from Germany, Model 3 is reserved ;-)
  • edited April 2016
    The i8 can drive about 60 Kilometer with battery power....watch YouTube videos, typing "model s bmw i8", there you can see how much faster Tesla will accelerate. In the end bmw is faster, cause the i8 use the fuel motor instead of the battery. The price for the i8 begins at 120k and not at about 70k like the Model S.
    Greetings from Germany, Model 3 is reserved ;-)
  • edited November -1
    i8 is an "electrified" gas car. 18 miles on battery only.

BMW does not make any true BEV's, even the i3 has an optional "range extender", ie- gas engine, which most people get in order to achieve the max 140 mile combined electric/gas range. Whoop-de-doo!

$35k Model 3 is going make most BEV compliance cars obsolete. Looking forward to some real BEV competition some day.
  • edited November -1
    @tropo, i3 can be got without the range extender, so it qualifies as a BEV. But only 80 miles range makes a Kia Soul EV a much better choice.
  • edited April 2016
    Have you got a link?
  • edited April 2016
    There was an article on Green Car Reports that talked about the Bolt and how they must envy Tesla for 325K preorders. Apparently GM is forbidden from pre-orders due to their dealership network and the arcane laws they have been pushing to protect them. Hah!
  • edited April 2016
    I believe this illustrates the dilemma that General Motors faces:

2015 US SALES -- ALL VEHICLES
    2,125,347___CHEVROLET
    __223,055___BUICK
    __175,267___CADILLAC

2015 US SALES -- PASSENGER CARS
    ___CHEVROLET
    ___93,425___BUICK
    ___70,494___CADILLAC

Tesla Motors is poised to demolish their sales of Buick and Cadillac passenger cars. They will still do well with their SUVs and Pickup Trucks at Chevrolet. But without these high end cars to act as a 'halo' series to aspire toward, they may not be able to attract quite as many buyers to Chevrolet passenger cars to keep paying the bills.

Within a year or two of release, the Model ☰ may surpass all of Buick's sales by itself. By 2020 Tesla Motors may outsell Buick and Cadillac combined in the US. GM already pared down to these three passenger car Divisions. Tesla Motors might be responsible for making Buick and Cadillac into boutique brands, effectively leaving GM to be perceived as Chevrolet alone.

There are 48 locations to buy a Cadillac in Michigan, and 58 in California. There are 89 locations to buy a Buick in Michigan, and 81 in California. There are currently 0 Tesla Stores/Galleries in Michigan, and 27 in California. Including locations that are planned, but not yet open, there are 93 Tesla Stores/Galleries in the entire United States.

Yet, in 2015, the best selling Cadillac passenger car was the ATS, their entry-level vehicle. That car starts at $33,215 and moved 26,873 units last year. Meanwhile, the Tesla Model S has a $70,000 base price, an average sale price of around $105,000 each, and reached 26,400 Customers in the US.

I'm certain the sales efficiency of having hundreds fewer locations nationwide, but still being able to sell the relative same quantity of a $100,000 car as they moved of a sub-$40,000 car was not lost on General Motors' number crunchers at all. They undoubtedly perceive the unmitigated expansion of Tesla Motors as a threat. And so do the 'independent franchised dealerships' that work with GM.

Yet, somehow it does not occur to GM that maybe... They should ditch the dealers and just sell direct. Maybe... Instead of fighting Tesla Motors, they should adopt their methods instead. Maybe... They should launch an ELECTRA division of fully electric cars to compete with Tesla Motors by offering vehicles with just as much technological savvy, but a hefty measure of luxury appointments. Of course, that sort of action would require risky, progressive thinking that goes beyond quarterly reports to shareholders.
  • edited April 2016
    Oops! Missed a spot above:
    2015 US SALES -- PASSENGER CARS
    __766,873___CHEVROLET
    ___93,425___BUICK
    ___70,494___CADILLAC

xxpalme: The BMW i8 has a 7 kWh battery pack. BMW claims an all electric range of 20 miles, 32 km. In practice, Owners say it only provides about a 15 mile range, only 24 km, instead. And, the EPA agrees with those Owners. Whomever told you that car has a 60 km fully electric range, 37 miles, is an absolute dog faced liar with their pants on fire.