New York

EZ PASS once again

edited November -1 in New York
I have my EZ Pass to the right of the rearview mirror stalk, right against the headliner and it is still not reading it. My Tesla is a week old. Any ideas? Can someone post a picture of exactly where they put the EZ PAss. Thank you so much.

Camilo

Comments

• edited November -1
    I am not near my car right now but my ezpass is centered right in front of the mirror stalk. Never had a problem with that location. EzpassNY has a "green" option which gives you discounts on the thruway and some crossings.

Port Authority Green Pass Discount Plan***: The Port Authority Green Pass Discount Plan (PAGRN) is available to eligible vehicles with E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York. Enrollment is required. The Plan toll rate is $7.00 per trip (plus $9.50 for each additional axle beyond two axles) during off-peak hours for vehicles on New York's Clean Pass Program Vehicle Eligibility List that pre-register for the program. Plan Code: (PAGRN)

Thruway Green Pass Discount Plan***: Receive a special 10% discount on all Thruway facilities for Hybrid vehicles that get at least 45 miles to the gallon and meet specific emissions standards as outlined on the Authority's website www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/greentag.html. Cannot be combined with commuter plans. Plan Code: (GREEN)
  • edited November -1
    JT, thank so much for the information. When you say "in front of the mirror stalk" do you mean below it horizontally?
  • edited November -1
    Yes.
  • edited November -1
    https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/easy-pass

A good thread i had to twist mine to get it to work, on some tolls i have to g real slow on the manual gate tolls, than it works
  • edited April 2016
    I find that no matter where I position it, the EZ Pass works only intermittently. What I have to do is actually hand hold it outside the windshield and drive through slowly. Even then sometimes a toll attendant has to come and open the gate manually. I also find that the express EZ Pass lanes where one doesn't have to slow from highway speed never work.

I'm hoping they've solved this on Model X (delivery May or June, Tesla claims).

Bob
  • edited November -1
    My 85D is 11 mos old, VIN 81XXX and I could never get the inside EZ pass to work, no matter where I put it on the windshield. I finally went with the one that bolts onto the front license plate. Works great now.

JT - thanks for the info on the green discount plans.
  • edited April 2016
    I turned my EZ Pass sideways next to the rearview mirror and still nothing. I have a really old EZ Pass, so my next step in solving this problem is that I ordered the green discounted EZ Pass. Lets see if that is any better. If not, I guess my only option is the license plate mount.
  • edited November -1
    I could not make the EZ Pass work so I got the license plate mounted one. It works perfectly. I dont love how it looks but it isn't terrible.
  • edited November -1
    I hold my ez pass (small version) vertically in the black dotted area to the right of the mirror base. never a problem
  • edited November -1
    No problem with mine on my X on the lower right just above the dash board. It read fine from Indiana to New Rochelle
  • edited November -1
    Hey Guys, I just got my Green EZPass and they automatically sent me the plate mount. Not even an option.
    I'm a bit concerned that someone can just come up and rip it off the plate. Anyone else have this concern? Plus the screws that came with the plate are too short to hold the plate, plate cover and EZPass. Now I have to find a longer set of screws.
  • edited May 2016
    <em>I'm a bit concerned that someone can just come up and rip it off the plate.

If they rip it off the plate and subsequently use it they will be in a lot of trouble very quickly and very easy to find.
  • edited November -1
    I placed my EZ Pass unit on the right side of the glass on my X at the bottom just above the dash. No problems coming cross country to NY. Doesn't affect visibility for me. I would think you have to be careful in placing the unit near the camera on the mirror stalk. Thanks for the Greenpass info.
  • edited November -1
    No problems at all with the plate one. I don't think it's very noticeable. At the one in Syracuse use the non Ezpass toll and it works fine. I've driven all over with it. Same thing I've said before on other threads for the same topic.
  • edited June 2016
    green pass sent me a front plate mount as well. So far so good.
  • edited June 2016
    Took a 800 mile trip a few weeks back using the plate mount Green EZpass. Had one issue with the NJTPK on/off tolls. The on toll did not register but the off did. Strangely these just charged me $7 for the exit while the full fair should have been $12. Also, paid $7 for the GWB without having to use car pool tolls.
  • edited October 2019
    Got a plate one, working great. We find that we very much like not having it on the windshield. I did have to find longer screws. You might feel a bit second class getting a plate pass, but it really is a good option.
  • FWIW, here is a writeup on the topic. We surveyed members of TOCNYS.org to get a definitive take on how E-ZPassNY deals with requests (namely, for GreenPass transponders), transponder placement, etc.: https://www.tocnys.org/blog/8401782 (should be accessible to any members of TOCNYS)