edited April 2016 in Colorado
My first dash cam footage worth sharing. Didn't go so well. :-(

Tesla vs. Ice

Aftermath

Comments

• edited November -1
    Holy Crap! That was snow?
  • edited April 2016
    Ouch! Hope it doesn't require any rivets!
  • edited April 2016
    Yeah, I'm guessing it will be June at the earliest before the body damage is fixed. I'm hoping I can get the windshield replaced in the next day or two so I can at least drive the car safely until the replacement parts arrive. But I guess that will depend on if the SvC has them in stock.

Oh, and it broke off the driver's side wiper, so there's that. I'm not even sure how that happened.

It all happened so fast. What are the odds, eh? 1/2 second either way and it just would have been another pile of snow/ice on the freeway.
  • edited November -1
    This situation demands another post...day--yum. Of all the cars that drove under that sign all day...day-yum!
  • edited April 2016
    Holy cow! I'm glad you didn't get get hurt... well, physically, anyway. Sorry...
  • edited April 2016
    Almost unbelievable (had it not been for the dash cam!). Did your insurance company ask to see the footage? Just curious-
  • edited April 2016
    Yikes!

Good luck with the repair. Hate to say it, but June is optimistic, rivets or not.
  • edited April 2016
    @buchholtz3, not yet, but the adjuster hasn't contacted me yet.

Knocked the dash cam right off the windshield. Fortunately, the BlackVue has just enough power reserve to finish recording the "moment of impact." Glad I installed that thing! Also glad I had applied an 80% Photosync tint on the inside of the windshield. I think that held a lot of the little glass shards in place.
  • edited November -1
    @barry, I'll just be glad if I can drive it until the parts come in. Maybe by it's one-year anniversary (7/31)? Darn rivets.
  • edited November -1
    Just insist on a no-rivet repair!
  • edited April 2016
    Holy crap!!! Glad you're OK!
    I am really glad I got that dash cam installed now too.

I've read in the past that some states cover flats due to potholes, wonder if it's the same for this?
  • edited April 2016
    I'm dealing with my insurance company (USAA). If they feel they can take action against the appropriate government entity over this, more power to them. I don't have the energy for a $300 deductible.

The SvC has been great so far. They've got my car and will replace the windshield and ought to be able to fix the damage to the panels that popped off and the parking sensors. A body shop will have to repair the hood, as it's a lost cause, but I should at least be able to drive it until all the rivets come in.
  • edited November -1
    Ya know, mscott, now's the time to try that demolition derby thing. Just make sure you take hits only in the front bumper and hood...
  • edited April 2016
    Really, just the hood. That would be quite a trick, only taking hits on the hood!
  • edited April 2016
    Wow. Ouch!
  • edited April 2016
    $2,100 to replace the windshield, camera assembly, and pretty much the entire wiper assembly. (I was pleasantly surprised that the SvC had all those parts in stock for a quick turnaround. At least I can drive it now, although it's not nearly as pretty to look at right now.)

Body shop estimate is about $7,250, to begin work mid-June. With the replacement clear bra, it's going to be right at $11K grand total, assuming they don't find anything else to repair once they actually start working on it. (And when does that ever happen?)

I'm having the new windshield tinted tomorrow morning with the same 90% Photosync. I am SO glad I had that applied. Even the SvC guys said that clearly kept a large quantity of glass shards out of the passenger compartment. And 90% is a *legal* tint (for the windshield), at least in CO. Highly recommended!
  • edited April 2016
    Whoa! Glad you are ok.

Would you mind sharing who installed your Photosync?
  • edited November -1
    I had the Photosync installed by Elite Auto Salon in Colorado Springs. Pricy, but I've been very pleased with it. (Doubly so with the recently-realized extra safety component.)
  • edited April 2016
    +1 for elite auto salon. They did my vinyl chrome black out. Great folks there. I had llumar airblue put on my windshield and love it. Only paid $200 I think at Touch of Shade in Colorado Springs
  • edited November -1
    Wow! Glad you were fine.
    This must have been very scary, so fast.

I did all my windows and the windshield in Boulder Details Plus in Boulder. Now I am extra glad I did. 10% windshield 30% all the others and the sunroof. $475. Keeps the car much cooler in summer.
  • edited November -1
    @mscott thank you