Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

National Theft Search and Recovery - SCAM

edited November -1 in Model S
My Model S 60D was delivered to me last month and already scammers are trying to take away my enjoyment of my new car. If you receive a mailing from NTSR (National Theft Search and Recovery), please Google NTSR and at least read the warnings on the BBB. The whole document is written to pressure you into making a quick decision. They are "waving the $399 fee the police traceable decals cost", but they don't tell you there is a $129 registration fee plus $20 per year cost. I'm sure that your car will be listed in their National Theft Search and Recovery Database but I'm also sure that no police theft unit uses their service. Please do your research before thinking of accepting this "offer".

Comments

• edited November -1
    Thanks
  • edited October 2016
    The police already use the best system for finding stolen vehicles, which is the VIN of a car. You don't need any "police traceable decals".
  • edited October 2016
    But they look so "official!"
  • edited November -1
    Tell them that your car is already traceable via your phone.
  • edited October 2016
    @jordan, not if the thieves disable it ! We need a password protection on it!
  • edited October 2016
    @jordan, oh yeah! Good one. :)
  • edited November -1
    I think all Settings need a pin code to protect from unauthorized changes.
  • edited November -1
    Bump
  • edited November -1
    and how exactly would they disable it? Fire an EMP cannon at it?
  • edited November -1
    You would need the key near the car to be able to disable the remote settings.

Although I agree that there should be PIN protection on certain settings, like the alarm, remote access, etc.
  • edited May 2018
    Thanks for sharing everyone. Just received the letter today in the mail for the Model 3 and in super small text at the bottom it says *Additional charges forth coming for registration. Estimated fee of $143.
  • edited May 2018
    I received mine as well. I called the number and they explained that with that "one time activation" they will mail decals to put inside my door jam to place ultraviolet tracers on the paint. I got concerned when they asked for money, then gave me a deadline to take advantage of the deal. I agree rslawdude it does look very "official". Buyer beware.
  • edited July 2018
    I got mine today. Immediately recognized it as a scam. My fee for the "complimentary" decals was $179.

On a similar note, I have received 3 different survey requests for Tesla feedback. One even sent a $1. Wow.

The survey requests reminded me of the guy who was requesting feedback from Tesla owners in this forum under the guise of "research" while preparing to apply for an engineering job at Tesla. Riiggghhhtt.!
    Much more likely a lawyer type looking for flaws in Teslas.
  • edited July 2018
    There are companies out there that do surverys on new car purchases. These are not scams, and are in fact on the level.

The best thing to do is google the company that sent you the survey. If they are legit, then they will show up on a google search.
  • edited July 2018
    I got the dreaded police decal letter today. What a crock of crap.
  • edited July 2018
    Our Chevy SUV we bought new came with those decals free of charge. You guys have to pay for that service?
    My Harley CVO came with the coolest thing. Not sure how new it is but its called DNA theft recovery. They spray these very tiny micro dots underneath all the body panels and bags and they are glued on with the spray. They are so tiny that a thief would have to look very close to even see them. If the bike is stolen or at a chop shop the Police have a special type scanner that detects these chips and they will give the history and rightful owner of the bike and where it was bought and who should have it. Modern technology is so cool these days. Except to spammers. I had to wade thru 42 pages of spam here when I was on my phone. STOP IT! Please. :-(
  • edited July 2018
    Keeryglittle, I have been in law enforcement for 25 years and I have never heard of these decals. Nor have I ever heard of the device that reads them.
  • SOSO
    edited July 2018
    @kjar - I believe Kerry is in Canada. They may do things a bit different there, eh?
  • edited July 2018
    Yea that makes more sense. But still I think I would have heard of these devices. We have license place readers, cameras that read license plates, gps trackers, low jack systems, ETC. never heard of these decals even until I started reading on these forums.
  • edited July 2018
    I also looked them up on the BBB. The BBB has the listed as a “NOT A ACCREDITED BUSINESS”. All requested to resolve complaints Ave gone unanswered. It also makes you wonder what information Tesla is sharing (selling) with other companies.
  • edited July 2018
    Yes I am in Canada eh. LOL. If I could post pictures here I could show you the decals on our Chevy and the DNA info. on my Harley. They are just tiny specs that look much like a grain of pepper.
  • edited July 2018
    @kjar Our Police have all those tools of the trade you listed too. Just recently last year the OPP got this thing for high speed pursuits. Its right out of batman. Its mounted to the front of the cruiser and its much like a nerf dart. When chasing a car the officer gets close enough to it and then some how shoots this dart at the back of the car being chased. It propels this dart at the car and has very sticky flat surface that sticks to the car. Then the officer backs off and they just follow the car at a safe distance. The criminal thinks the chase has been called off and doesn't risk killing some innocent people trying to get away at high speeds. Been to many deaths in pursuits for the publics liking. By the way my wife works in the justice system too. Thank you for your service kjar71. I know its a thankless job most times but my respect goes out to you and all law enforcement .
  • edited July 2018
    Thank you very much. I am fortunate to have a Tesla with my job I have.
  • edited July 2018
    You are welcome kjar71. My uncle was a police chief. Worked his way up the ladder from constable. Great guy. He passed away a couple of years ago. Some of the stories I got out of him were incredible. I think all people that serve the public like police and firemen and paramedics are every day heroes in my books. I have all the respect in the world for them. :-)