Hi all. I'm new to this forum and will try to explain the title of this post thoroughly.
I purchased a brand new MS 90D (159309), delivery date October 5, 2016, with the new facelift. To be more exact, it was a car that was in Tesla's inventory and was located in Florida. Since then it has been in service twice and I question Tesla and myself if the car was actually brand new. After the car was delivered to my service center in Houston, my delivery specialist said it would take a few more days since service had to INSPECT and detail the car. On that exciting pickup day, the rep had me sign acceptance papers before actually showing me the car (my fault, I should have requested to see before signing anything). After signing, we went outside where he opened the trunk to make sure all the charging tools were included. He briefly showed me how to charge after I asked. Then he proceeded to open the driver door hinting me to hop in. I asked if he could go over the functions on the massive touch monitor and he did. He then later got out and we said our goodbyes. After having the car for a week, these are the flaws I've noticed...
Mentioned to Tesla's Service Center.
1. All 4 Tires had "X" written on it. Shows me the car wasn't actually "detailed". No big deal.
2. Front windshield had 2 chips - Asked Tesla if the car was shipped covered from CA to FL and from FL to TX, no specific information was available to them only that they may use cover or uncovered to ship. I guess when "inspecting" the car, they manage to skim over the chips along with the other issues stated below. Informed service about it and at first the service manager said they would polish it down. After receiving the car and noticing that nothing was done, service manager said that it could not be polished down and refused to do anything about it saying I or Tesla could have done it.
3. Front bumper is not aligned correctly with side panel where they meet at the fender (both sides). https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15027379_10153453756982614_8338164202848811838_n.jpg?oh=d64db04f6c9315a0bd9c4bba33e16708&oe=58C39E26https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14925651_10153453757007614_557253153781904129_n.jpg?oh=4c08e5df9d95e0aff8fd004aa360131c&oe=58D14D93
Was it fixed? Absolutely not. They said they did, but it just seemed they tighten the bolts to the point where Tesla's soft paint is rubbed off.
4. Silver linings that are in between the windows and doors are not aligned correctly (both sides).https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14956487_10153453757032614_5755294369474352883_n.jpg?oh=d0244d1e0c40c319c30a6278c6264c52&oe=588B2418https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14963320_10153453756967614_6441064981354848784_n.jpg?oh=5ea6f62ce1d00b02ac4c4de21e978bed&oe=588E171A
Was it fixed? Partially. The passenger side wasn't perfect, but decent and I left it at that. The driver side looked as if nothing was done. Notified a service rep and he said the part had to be ordered. Waited over a week. Was it fixed? Hardly. Still looks the same as before.
5. Front hood (or the side panels) is/are not aligned correctly where the gap is smaller on the driver side and bigger on the passenger side. Service said they measured everything according to Tesla's safety standards and the front bumper was where it needs to be. They compared my car to 2 loaner cars. The old MS was aligned perfectly and the new facelift loaner had the same issue as mine. Definitely something Tesla needs to adjust at their manufacturing plant. Not sure if my photos do any justice, but it was very obvious to a friend and my brother to point out. https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15036704_10153453846252614_7797615453572354375_n.jpg?oh=f099a746f2aee9339007a2c5642a3866&oe=58C7EAF8https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15055676_10153453846247614_5286727220989621837_n.jpg?oh=6d68b81fe0aeba93f499da9b9b3d6475&oe=58952349
6. Inside noises. When traveling 35+ miles, you would hear creaking noises inside. A technician confirmed the noises when we both went out for a test drive. As for it being fixed? I hear more noises now.
Below are other things I noticed.
1. There are multiple dimples throughout the car, so far 7 and counting. 1 to 3 I can live with, but 7? WTH! Most were located on both back seat doors. Wish I had photos, but there are very hard to focus on with my camera phone.
2. Back bumper looks like it's been repainted and the paint is chipped? Again, both sides. Car was just hand-washed btw.https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15032076_10153453756867614_4108290188050412583_n.jpg?oh=7f8fc0c5e984752496b741cb33fcee81&oe=58CFCA70https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15055673_10153453756917614_5625763891518694888_n.jpg?oh=8c31e7d40252aed1945822c41ca05b7d&oe=589878F1
3. Front and back bumpers are different colors from the car.https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14962666_10153453756937614_7378981373239022084_n.jpg?oh=34fcac9edd03796b7931bfafa7a9112b&oe=58D3ACD1
4. Next Gen seat. What the heck is that? The car is barely over a month old.https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14962743_10153453830392614_3193914163090259117_n.jpg?oh=a4bfa6b6e6e25249f1eb9c6eb7595ba0&oe=588857D4https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14937416_10153453830402614_5142098425368786798_n.jpg?oh=0c8358044b7cf7e9ad8980e9aa214ef1&oe=5897AFFE
I am extremely frustrated and feel stuck as to what I should do. I know Tesla is still a new company, but for a $100k+ this is not the quality I expected. Looks like they used all the leftover bad parts to construct my car. My mother's new 2017 Genesis G80 seemed of much higher quality build. I'll also add that I opted for the $2500 upgraded speakers. Garbage. When the volume is on 6 or 7, you hear the speakers rattling and the quality of audio is horrible. Makes me question if perhaps Tesla forgot to add the upgraded speakers during manufacturing. I did ask a technician about it and he was stumped and couldn't confirm if they were upgraded speakers or not. Don't get me wrong, the drive is wonderful and being able to not go to the gas station is great, but would I purchase another Tesla? Probably not until they do some major tweaking and maybe adding a seat belt adjuster. I'm 5'3" and the seat belt is literally trying to slice my neck. Do I feel cheated from my purchase? Definitely agree. I spent a lot for this car including the installation for a charger at home. Side note: it would be awesome after each service visit, if service would quit changing my preset functions like the steering wheel handling, turning my app to connect to car off, etc. Where do they find the time to do that being they're backed up with faulty/maintenance cars? Took me a week and half to schedule my first service visit.
Wouldn't be surprised if I found more flaws. These flaws took all the new car fun and exciting feeling away very quickly. This concludes my rant. Are you having similar issues or was I just that unlucky? If you’re considering in purchasing a Tesla, don’t let this post scare you. Just make sure to check and double check before signing anything. Have Tesla fix it before signing anything.