General

Possible secretary of education???surgeon general???

Comments

• edited November 2016
    I was attacked
  • edited November 2016
    @silverm Wow. That's sad. Sorry to hear that.
    I had to take care of a hospital patient for over a week who had a confederate flag tattooed on his chest.
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks Silver and Redshift. You have to take things from whence they come. Having grown up in South Africa, I saw the dark side of apartheid. In addition being Jewish where many of my family members where murdered based on their heritage I am very conscious of discrimination of any kind. It is criminal to remain silent where you see it. I am sure Silver who is Iraqui can understand my position.
    My critics here are ignorant narrow minded angry people. Many are intimidated because they are encountering a foreigner who is not afraid to stand up for his rights. I would like to ignore many of them but they are pretty incessant and troll sites consistently trying to inhibit free debate. It is impossible to engage them intelligently because they are not very smart and are ideological. I am not really any more bothered by them than I would be if I had a fly that was buzzing around my head. In general the best strategy is just to ignore them but as with the fly you need to swat at them occasionally. My one weakness is that I can never resist mocking them when they say something really dumb.
    Silver no apologies for defending John Doe. He is not a friend of mine and i have never approved of his style. However he is smart and is a great contributor on the climate change threads. He flew off the handle a little when his posts starting getting trolled and flagged by climate change deniers. He needed to be defended and also I made many pleas to him to back down a little. Not sure if it was me or anyone else but he remains on this forum contributing particularly in the field of climate change and has calmed down.
  • edited November 2016
    Well at least Guliani (spelling?) a good choice.
  • edited November -1
    @lar_lef. He has lost all his credibility in the US.
  • edited November -1
    Here is a classic summary of the election by comedian John Oliver.

• edited November 2016
    Actually, I think Brittany Hughes answers John Oliver's question, "How did we get here?"
  • edited November 2016
    Here's a something to think about: (since John Oliver brought it up)
    Could it just be that a genocide may be taking place today? Aimed at minorities? Yep, it's called abortion and it's happening under the guise of "women's rights". 900 babies a day and we got women believing this is good for them. Genius. Hmmm. I'm fertile myrtle and I don't need an abortion to plan my parenthood. Wake up America!
  • edited November 2016
    @lilbean

Wow. Just wow.
  • edited November 2016
    All righty then... back the OP's topic y'all.

The OP's topic is something that's very much so been on my mind. I've already mentioned elsewhere what I do for a living. It just so happens that I was in the Johns Hopkins surgery residency program while Dr. Carson was Chief of Ped Neurosurgery.

I've been shocked by so many of the things he's said on the campaign trail- very different persona from what I had encountered at Hopkins - granted of course, as a trainee my direct interaction with him was close to nil (never scrubbed in on a case with him).

Many at Hopkins are silent with regards to their opinions of Dr. Carson, primarily because research funding is very political, and funding dollars are becoming exceedingly difficult to come by- hence best not to bite the possible hand that may, if not feed you, perhaps have a major say in your share of the funding pie. Every person I'm in touch with at Hopkins (dept. of surgery) privately feels that Dr. Carson would be a disaster as secretary of education. And surgeon general? Forget about it. Unfortunately, people in the know won't speak up. Especially now.
  • edited November -1
    @Ethan M +1
    From another Carson era Hopkins alum
  • edited November -1
    Other than the disturbing things that he said in the last several months, this is what I remember Giuliani for:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/16/nyregion/affronted-by-nude-last-supper-giuliani-calls-for-decency-panel.html
  • edited November -1
    Wow.

Hadn't read that piece before.

Disturbingly tumultuous times ahead...
  • edited November 2016
    @Ethan_M >>>>Many at Hopkins are silent with regards to their opinions of Dr. Carson, primarily because research funding is very political, and funding dollars are becoming exceedingly difficult to come by- hence best not to bite the possible hand that may, if not feed you, perhaps have a major say in your share of the funding pie.

This doesn't speak well for the medical research community.
  • edited November 2016
    Giulani was extreme re his actions re paintings, but his artisitc taste i agree with, (Old fashioned).
  • edited November 2016
    @J.T. - not sure if a reply is necessary from me, but my statement I hope does not come as a surprise to anyone.

As a matter of fact, it has been the status quo for as far back as I can remember for academia/academic medicine to be as politically charged an arena as public/ governmental politics.

It is downright vicious- in case your professional background does not delve into academia, perhaps you should look up the term "publish or perish".
  • edited November 2016
    @Ethan. Thanks for the great insight. Unfortunately many on the right are blind to reality and censor themselves by only reading and seeing what they want to see. We have all agreed to wait and see and give Trump a chance. But things are not looking good so far. I would also encourage you to continue giving the Muslim perspective. Some need a reminder that you are one of us.

@JT. Not all physicians are prepared to speak up. However physicians are often activists. I am ashamed to say that Assad is a London trained opthalmologist and there is a Syrian Endocrinologist in my area who trained with him and said he was a good physician. What a tragic turnaround.
  • edited November 2016
    @SCCRENDO - tis a pleasure.

I totally hear you.

"Unfortunately many on the right are blind to reality and censor themselves by only reading and seeing what they want to see."
    - I really couldn't agree more with this.

"We have all agreed to wait and see and give Trump a chance. But things are not looking good so far. "
    - And this.

"I would also encourage you to continue giving the Muslim perspective."
    And this as well. It is an uphill battle. Regrettably for example, many state officials haven't accepted my repeated and years-old invitation to visit and break bread at the local mosque. They'll gladly take my vote, tax and donation money, but couldn't be bothered to have a visit. One state official's loved one ended up on my operating table- the official thanked me over and over again at the hospital, got me chocolates, flowers, offered gift cards (which I declined), but would not grant me a visit to my local mosque. I persevere nonetheless.
  • edited November 2016
    @Ethan. You are a wonderful man. Keep it up. Where are you located? If I am in the area at any point I would love to break bread with you in your Mosque
  • edited November -1
    I vote @Silver for Sect of Education. He sure is good at correcting his own spelling/grammar :)
  • edited November 2016
    sect = Secretary
  • edited November -1
    good = repetitive
  • edited November 2016
    Carson has disavowed any interest in serving in the cabinet. Says he has no government experience. Hmmmm.
  • edited November -1
    @Bighorn - "Carson has disavowed any interest in serving in the cabinet. Says he has no government experience"

So he doesn't have enough government experience to be a cabinet member, but he was fine with wanting to be president? I think that explains what he thinks about the job of the president.
  • edited November -1
    @Ethan_M I meant no personal affront to you, it was just a comment based on the very repeated caveat that the only thing evil needs to take hold is for the good people to do nothing. It's been repeated so often lately that it's unfortunately beginning to sound trite.

I don't think the publish or perish analogy is apt because, as you said it is a long held widely accepted state of affairs in academia. Therefore, those who enter that realm should be prepared to deal with the demands.

My good friend SCCRENDO, I feel, would not hesitate to speak out strongly against global warming deniers even if it meant he might be at risk financially. And, should that ever happen and I was made aware of it I would do my best to ease his situation because though I find him close minded and irritating he has shown himself to be a warrior for his cause. Much like Don Quixote but still deserving of respect. :-)

As Bh points out the matter is moot because Dr. Carson is wise enough to know what he doesn't know. More people should follow his example.

SNL Weekend Update mentioned that being 70 with no experience couldn't even get you a job at Target.