Model S

Model S Mirrors Not Opening Fully

edited November -1 in Model S
I'm wondering if this is a common/known problem (or even potentially pilot error)...

I noticed this morning that my one-week old MS mirrors didn't deploy fully, reliably, or consistently. The driver side mirror seemed to stop about 15-20 degrees from fully deployed. Afterward, I realized that the day before, the same thing had happened, but I had chalked it up to poor aiming and had re-aimed the mirror for the partially opened orientation.

When I started playing with it, manually opening and closing the mirrors, I noticed that the left and right mirrors would open inconsistently, sometimes at the partial position, and sometimes fully. They weren't in sync; one could be right and the other wrong. Then when I played with the mirror, I can clearly feel there is a loose range about the same angle range (15-20%) where the mirror moves easily with almost no resistance, which almost feels like a "feature," but I can't imagine what kind of feature.

The temperatures have been unseasonably cold for Seattle (below 32F consistently), but there has been no icing.

Should I just wait for first needed service and report it then?

Comments

• edited January 2017
    There have been a lot of reports of this from recent deliveries. No it should not happen. I would schedule service. In the meantime, extend them out manually and then turn off auto-fold.
  • edited January 2017
    Thanks @mp1156. I kind of need electronic folding because I need to manually fold them when going through the alley to my parking space due to a neighbor's car that is parked badly all the time (and the mirror of which I have already hit and scratched :( ).
  • edited January 2017
    I've experienced the same problem. I picked up my MS at the beginning of December last year (1 month old). I don't recall a problem in the beginning. Later I noticed that only the drivers side the mirror will only turn part way. At the maximum I see 1/2 of the car in the mirror.

I thought it may have something to do with Auto-fold. I turned that off, but it made no difference. I've set up an appointment to have it checked. The passenger side mirror has not been a problem.

I'm in SoCal with relatively warmer temps, so I don't think that is the issue.
  • edited January 2017
    Mid-December delivery. Same problem on driver's side. The service center fixed it promptly. No problems since.
  • edited January 2017
    Just got mine back from the service center today for the same problem. They replace the whole unit no questions asked.
  • edited January 2017
    Thanks to everybody. I'll make a service appointment.
  • edited November -1
    My 12/19/16 delivered 90D passenger side mirror is having issues folding and unfolding fully. Will need to contact local SC.
  • edited January 2017
    Same issue here. Got the car in mid-Dec. Went to SC and the had the part. In and out in an hour.
  • edited November -1
    Had same problem with both mirrors (mid Aug 2016 delivery). The problem appears to be with the motors and the service centers have been asked to run diagnostics on all vehicles coming in with this issue. Got mine replaced 2 weeks ago and so far so good.
  • edited January 2017
    Same problem, unfold aborts prematurely plus the mirror does not restore position (when switching driver profiles or putting the car in reverse - right mirror works fine). SC tells me it's a known firmware issue that should be fixed soon. I sure hope so, it's a brand new 2017 car and it hasn't worked even during delivery. If no fix in a couple of weeks, I will just ask for a new mirror.