General

OT Political Thread. Not for Tender Sensibilities. You've Been Warned.

edited September 2019 in General
Pity the Sad Legacy of Barak Obama

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/09/barack-obama-legacy-presidency

If TL;dr, here is the condensed version:

The age of Barack Obama may have been our last chance to break from our neoliberal soulcraft. We are rooted in market-driven brands that shun integrity and profit-driven policies that trump public goods. Our “post-integrity” and “post-truth” world is suffocated by entertaining brands and money-making activities that have little or nothing to do with truth, integrity or the long-term survival of the planet. We are witnessing the postmodern version of the full-scale gangsterization of the world.

The reign of Obama did not produce the nightmare of Donald Trump – but it did contribute to it. And those Obama cheerleaders who refused to make him accountable bear some responsibility.

In March 2009, Obama met with Wall Street leaders. He proclaimed: I stand between you and the pitchforks. I am on your side and I will protect you, he promised them. And not one Wall Street criminal prosecution.

US drone killings continue with no accountability.

Lack of support for BLM or Palestinians.

2/3 wealth growth to the top 1%

Support for Bloomberg stop and frisk and Rahm Emanuel's everything, with zero accountability

Demonizing dissidents like Snowden, Sterling and Manning

Obamacare is a Heritage Foundation, pork laden, corporate giveaway with 20M still uninsured.

A record 2.5 million deportations.

Bernie was punk'd by the DNC

The DNC is corrupt and doesn't fight for regular people

++++++++++++++++

I'm in agreement. After the last election the RNC at least went through the motions of trying to figure out why they were losing elections. Now, it's Russian hackers and Bernie, who subverted democracy instead of odious policies that demand corporate fealty.

Get a clue DNC and democratic politicians who ignore the will of the people at their peril. Go watch idiocracy to see our future when good men and women see wrong, and do nothing.

And lest you think I support our Orangutan-in-Chief, he will be covered in another post.

+++++++++++++++++

Update 9/9 The Best Case For Bernie.

https://www.salon.com/2019/09/09/dear-bernie-heres-how-you-can-still-win-but-the-chance-may-soon-slip-away/

Comments

• edited January 2017
    Sammy,

No president has been perfect. You try to choose the least problematic leader. I agree Bernie was shafted and DNC has a lot of learning to do. My predict is they won't learn it in time. We are looking at 8 years of crap being created for another democrat to clean it all up, rinse and repeat.

What do you think about that?
  • edited November -1
    @RedShift,

Yours sounds like a best-case scenario.

Oh wait, that's extra helping of French fries for PEOTUS.
  • edited November -1
    I always felt the last thing we needed was another Bush or Clinton in the white house. It is always the lesser of two evils so I voted for Trump I might have voted for Bernie but of course the corrupt DNC screwed him royally. Just listened to MRS Sanders on CNN she made a lot of sense and said the voters wanted change and that He is willing to work with Trump on issues of Agreement and oppose on the ones they do not. That is more I can say for the Democrats.

While the popular media and hollywood dis him the financial markets are applauding him(market is up the most in history in the first 5 weeks following an election), consumers are applauding him with consumer confidence went up the most in 10 years in november and hit a 15 year high in december and finally the world is applauding him with the Dollar hitting a 15 year high against every major world currency. That is a vote by the world in confidence in our sovereignty and our economy.
  • edited November -1
    Donald Trump is the epitome of the loud ugly American... the world does NOT respect him, they just laugh at us for being so gullible to be fooled into voting for him.
  • edited November -1
    @Dofpic,

I'd only disagree that the short term markers = vote of confidence

It could be a vote for tax cuts they see coming adding to short term profits. That's equally consistent and much more logical.
  • edited January 2017
    @dofpic

Translating the second paragraph:

"Many who predicted a catastrophe in the stock market / economy seem to be wrong * so far *. Thanks to a stronger economy under Obama. Trump doesn't have the same shit to d al with as back in 2008. For this, we (balanced conservatives, not sure whether that describes dofpic) must at least give credit to Obama instead of pairing everything he did as wrong. "
  • edited November -1
    "The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed" - Robert Heinlein
  • edited January 2017
    What's that I hear? Oh. It's the hammer hitting the nail on the head.
  • edited November -1
    Sam.... The quote from Robert Heinlein is spot-on. Here's a few more. Some are off topic, but I hope people will enjoy them.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/205.Robert_A_Heinlein
  • edited November -1
    Big fan @hchwy!
  • edited January 2017
    From CLASS to ASS in one election.
  • edited January 2017
    @hcwhy (January 10, 2017)

<< The quote from Robert Heinlein is spot-on. Here's a few more. >>

Delightful ... !

Thoughtful ... !

Most quotable ... !

Thank you.
  • edited January 2017
    @Remnant My pleasure...I enjoyed them too
  • edited January 2017
    @ joemar10 | January 10, 2017

<< From CLASS to ASS in one election. >>

From ASS to CLASS in one election, rather!

Why don't Hillary's admirers confess they have been deluded for decades?

About her, about him, about themselves ... ?

It's bizarre to claim victory from the bottom of the pit you dove in!

Pathetic!
  • edited November -1
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
  • edited January 2017
    What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?

Donald wouldn't pay $1000 to have a lentil on his face.
  • edited November -1
    LMAO!!!!!!
  • edited November -1
    ha ha ha cough ha ha ha

didn't see that one coming
  • edited January 2017
    @bighorn

Gawd! My green tea spilled out of my nostrils.
  • edited January 2017
    Good one Bh!!
  • edited January 2017
    Holy Garbanzo Beans, Batman.
  • edited January 2017
    Respected Presidents?

FDR, Ike, JFK and perhaps Carter.

As for the rest, I suspect our foreign friends just consider them typical politicians.
    (typical as in you know when they are lying - their lips move)

And how can ANYONE explain the madness of these endless bombing and killing wars since WWII.
    Why? cause you are afraid of a political philosophy? really?
  • edited November -1
    Tender sensibilities or not. What has this political crap to do with Tesla?
  • edited November -1
    brando |
    "Respected Presidents? FDR, Ike, JFK and perhaps Carter". Now that was so funny of a list. Thanks for the laugh.