Model 3

Used Model S vs New Model 3?

Hello! I am going to be test driving a Model S in a couple days mainly because I have never driven a Tesla before.

What is every ones thoughts on getting a used Model S or a new Model 3?

I personally am more excited about the Model 3 but I want everyone's thoughts!

Comments

• edited November -1
    I thought about a new MS60 or used MS in lieu of waiting.

I found the following....

1) Limited quality used MS' in my area with too high of an asking price and mostly pre-nose change/pre-full self driving hardware

2) New wise -- I wanted too many options and the cost just was too much for me to swing the S.

I'm anxious, but hey we're already over 10 months into the wait what's about 10-12 months!
  • edited February 2017
    Very good points (: I haven't looked too much but I think I would find the same thing.
  • edited February 2017
    You also don't get a tax credit on used vehicles, so there's that, assuming you reserved early.
  • edited February 2017
    "What is every ones thoughts on getting a used Model S or a new Model 3?"
    Well, two totally different vehicles. I think after your test drive you'll have a better idea on what you'd like.
    Good luck in whichever you decide.
    PS, you can get your used S now versus another year for your 3.
  • edited November -1
    As everyone mentioned here there are many reasons to go with 3. One I see is the latest technology in the 3. The used S won't have it. The only adv to get an S: I'm assuming you only have 50k to spend.
    you get one now
    you get free SC
    you get a bigger car
    These to me are the only advantages and they are many many more to get the 3 instead.
  • edited February 2017
    I recommend a new Model 3. Reason for that, New Model 3 will have the newest hardware and quite frankly newest everything for future updates. It will be their most recent creation, and will be better than something a few years old. Remember, a 2015 model will not have the full autonomy hardware installed. So if you purchase a New Model 3, you're at least giving yourself the ability to upgrade (activate) the full autonomy if you wanted to.
  • edited February 2017
    Model S and the Model 3 are two different animals. The Model s is more of a suburban/highway car, where as the Model 3 will be able to navigate city streets.
  • edited February 2017
    Used model S
    pros: bigger vehicle, luxury segment, instant gratification
    cons: used, older hardware, still pricier

NEW model 3
    pros: brand new technology and no previous owners, cheaper, customizable to your own preferences, + some sort of state or federal (or both) tax credit
    cons: you gotta wait, not as glitzy as an S

Also, run this through your head - Would you rather have the most expensive version of the iPhone from 3 years ago, or a cheaper version of the most recent iPhone? (bad comparison I know, but it addresses the scenario)
  • edited November -1
    Like you cbaum i thought about a used Model S, but they are still way more expensive in Canada than the equivalent model 3. I checked today on the tesla website and they have a 2013 P85+ with 18,000 miles on it for $56k US. i am hoping to spend no more than 45k US on a model 3, hopefully less.

As DD.miscol said i would get free supercharging but i can buy a lot of charging under the new system for 6 grand. Plus i don't need a bigger car and I would miss out on AP2.0, and Dual motor.

I think people should look at it this way...

If you need a car today or soon, have a look around for a used Model S. If you find the right color and equipment for the right price, Buy it and be happy. So what if it doesn't have AP2.0 or the all glass roof. Drive it for a couple of years and then sell it and buy a new one, be it a Model 3 or even a Model Y. You will be better off because you will know exactly what to get in your new car, in terms of Battery size and optional equipment, etc...

If you don't need a car soon, (like me) then wait. You will get a cheaper car with the latest tech, decked out exactly as you want it. The only problem is you will have to wait at least 6 months, and probably closer to a year to get one.

either way you cannot lose.
  • edited February 2017
    "Either way you cannot lose."

That's a good point to end on to be sure!
  • edited February 2017
    Either way you win if you are 100% sure that you will live past 2018.
  • I've already thought about this. The main concern w/buying a used S is battery degradation nd the cost of replacement but fairly recent reports are encouraging on this front.

See for example, http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096801_tesla-model-s-battery-life-how-much-range-loss-for-electric-car-over-time/page-2

Pricing on the 2014 is down to around $45k on Craigslist in the SF Bay Area. KBB prices it similarly. That's still more than the anticipated price of a M3 and it won't come w/the Fed tax credit or CA/PGE rebates. However, about 50% of the car's value has been depreciated and shouldn't depreciate as rapidly from here on out.

With $15k down and a $30k loan, I could get a 7 yr loan at 3.49% from my credit union on a 2014 Model 3 with payments of $349/month, which would make it as "affordable" as the $307/month lease that I just got on a Chevy Bolt with an MSRP at just under $40k.

So, for the right car, it's something that I will definitely consider after I get to see what an M3 really costs, as well as what it looks and drives like.
  • edited February 2017
    The Model S is the best car.

I am hoping the model 3 will be better.

See if the S fits. It is a big car.
  • edited November -1
    The Model 3 won't be better than the Model S. However, a new Model 3 will have features that a used Model S might lack, depending on how used it is. The concept of a used Model S isn't the same as it is with other cars. I have a used Model S, but I'm the one who used it. I got it in 2014, so on paper it's a 2014 even though Tesla never marketed it as a 2014. The 2015 Model S came out with features that mine didn't have when new, and the same was true in 2016. But it's also true that over time I got the software upgrades needed to keep it on par with a 2016 that would have been available through mid-2016. Yes, there were options available that I didn't have, but wouldn't have had to order had I gotten it later. They were options. If I had waited until 2016, I wouldn't have been able to get the identical car. I would have been able to get something nearly identical but with a smaller battery and in a different color. I also would have been able to get a larger battery (a feature that wasn't available when I got mine) but I still had a car with every feature I could have gotten on a new car and more.

Then Tesla changed things later in 2016, which was consistent with their earlier statements that the Model S will always be their premiere vehicle and will be the first to have new features.

Will a Model 3 have any features that a used Model S will lack? That depends what you order. If you get a base Model 3, you probably won't get any features lacking in a used Model S. If you get autopilot, it will be a bit more advanced than the one in the first generation used in the Model S, and if you get FSD, that won't be in an older Model S at all.

I wouldn't trade my Model S for a Model 3, but I don't need two of them and a Model 3 makes more sense to me as a second car. In my case it will likely have features that my Model S lacks, and vice versa. Once I get it I'll have a better idea. It might be that had both been on the market I might have bought a Model 3 instead, not because it's a better car but because it might have everything I need in a car.
  • edited February 2017
    Get both. CPO prices are good plus you get to drive a Tesla now.
  • edited February 2017
    I own a P85 that is 3.5 years old. Yes, it does not have AP, but the only time I would use it would be on the Interstate, which is rare. Meanwhile, it is fun to stomp on the pedal! Very reliable. Most important, it is very safe, especially with kids. I don't think Model 3 will be as safe.

AP1.0 works well on the highway. Not sure if I can trust any AP yet. The AP2.0 in my X is not active in my area.

I think a good used S85 would give the best value for the money. Way safer than M3 in my opinion.
  • edited February 2017
    can you explain why it would be safer? I don't get it other than the fact that the car is bigger and the battery frame is bigger and perhaps better quality? The steel frame is to be galvanized and stronger than Serotta steel -perhaps titanium alloy. I don't see that as compromising anything in safety. The safety system will be more modern than a 3 yr old S. I don't understand you're advice bubba.
  • edited February 2017
    Mass matters in multi vehicle collisions. Search on accord/fit, Camry/?, E Class/A Class collisions.

The insurance institute for highway safety did a set of tests:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/new-crash-tests-demonstrate-the-influence-of-vehicle-size-and-weight-on-safety-in-crashes-results-are-relevant-to-fuel-economy-policies
  • edited February 2017
    Please dont waste your time trying to say that Model 3 or Model S is better. They are in completely different price categories. BUT, you will most likely be able to get a 100% optioned Model 3 for the price of the Model S Base.
  • edited February 2017
    @andy.connor.e

Prices of a used Model S have dropped enough that the discussion is valuable. Space/size and a hatchback seem like biggest differences, but there are others. The question remains, if you can get a $50K CPO Model S now, should you wait for a $50K Model 3 later. They are similar enough for it to be a valid question. Prices will continue to drop too, so a $45K discussion won't be too far off.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/model-3-vs-model-s-how-will-they-be-different
    https://www.tesla.com/preowned/5YJSA1CN5DFP20498
  • edited February 2017
    @Jeffrey

Good point. This would be a tough decision for a buyer.
  • edited February 2017
    A 2012 BMW 7-Series would depreciate by $15,976 over five years per Edmunds (seems a bit off to me). A 2017 BMW M3 starts at $64,000. Which should someone buy? Neither. Tesla Model ≡ is coming.
  • edited February 2017
    @andy
    I waffle back and forth myself. The fact is that if I can get an AWD w/ bigger battery for around $40K I think that I lined up early enough (https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/wait-begins-what-it-was-santana-row-morning) that I may get the full tax credit. Then I need to decide about fancy roof and seats!
  • edited November -1
    dd.micsol: I think that Tesla placed a lot of emphasis on the safety in the design of Model S. Hi strength Boron Steel structure is used with heavy shock absorbing structures. Hi strength Al is used mostly for the skin. Kids can seat in the back protected by heavy pillars. Titanium armored battery pack. I have not seen anything like this yet in a sedan. Not much to breakdown. Tesla did replace clicking gears.

I got me XP100 + AP.20, optioned out. It was not a need, but I wanted to check it out. It is a complex machine. Very impressed that Tesla can mass produce near flawless... only thing wrong was driver seat stitches were a little off... no big deal. After I drove the X, I realized that Tesla will have no problems with Model 3 design and production. Made III easier to hold TSLA through all the volatility, etc.

I don't think the AP is anywhere close to being reliable. Tesla will have to add 360 deg radar for all weather safety and AP. Meanwhile, I am better off staying in control of the car, minimize cell phone use and loud music.

It looks like Model 3 will be designed for safety, but not to the lever of Model S. M3 will be lighter to reduce battery size. Not the same luggage capacity.