General

Who's a member of Mensa?

Comments

• edited April 2017
    @zap
    The one we ate at?
  • edited April 2017
    @Frank99: I also coached LL and above for many years. I was always nice to my smart players because I thought I might have to ask them for a job someday. As for me, I always had my scorebook ready in order to know the score, so to say.
  • edited November -1
    @BH

Nope. The seedy one on the corner.
  • edited April 2017
    I'm too dumb
  • edited November -1
    Who are those people? Those test samples are too easy.
  • edited April 2017
    Mensa? Isn't that an in-person version of this web site where everyone tries to show how much smarter they are than everyone else? ;-)
  • edited November -1
    @Fast Girl
    No, that's Menses.
  • edited April 2017
    I'm a member of Womansa. We get together and talk about how to control Mensas ;-)
  • edited April 2017
    @SilverP85plus

we have the same IQ, it seems
  • edited November -1
    I was told if you don't know the answer, pick "C."
  • edited April 2017
    Not me. I had to work hard in life. But it was worth it.
    My computer beats me at Chess.
  • edited April 2017
    MENSA sounds good at first glance. But do read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers.

(it's not your I.Q.; it's a lot of other factors.)
  • edited November -1
    @vp09

Outliers: The Story of Success

Author: Malcolm Gladwell Category: Art of Living Other name: Diana C. Website: http://motsach.info Date: 28-October-2012

this?

I was searching for something to read during my flight today, couldn't be better!
  • edited April 2017
    www dot lequydonhanoi dot edu dot vn/upload_images/S%C3%A1ch%20ngo%E1%BA%A1i%20ng%E1%BB%AF/Outliers-%20The%20Story%20of%20Success dot pdf
  • edited April 2017
    Yes EV that is it! Good stuff, huh? I read the chapter on Harlan County, Kentucky, out loud to my wife in our Tesla when we were driving back from Texas. I told her "this is about me."
  • edited April 2017
    Not a member, but I once delivered the potato salad to a Mensa picnic.
  • edited April 2017
    @vp09

Really interesting read!

I've gone through the fist 60 pages during my flight and this makes me see things differently on how to give the best tools possible for my kids to succeed in life. And now I know I am not a self made man, opportunities helped me. And now I don't care about my IQ as long as I had the basic requirement I needed to finish my PhD, number doesn't mean anything to me after I read that book! And the Matthew effect from the Roseto community study really pushes me to reevaluate the place I will raise my children based on an incredible supportive community with a school with adequate support.

A must read book for everyone!
  • edited April 2017
    His other books are very good as well - Tipping Point, David& Goliath
  • edited April 2017
    mntlvr23 I started with Blink. Tipping Point was excellent too. I think Outliers is the best. I have but have not yet read David and Goliath, except the first part, about David and Goliath, which nearly knocked me over! (sorry for bad pun.)
  • edited April 2017
    High IQ certainly isn't enough to guarantee success. One thing Gladwell didn't mention was the longitudinal study of Louis Termin of Stanford on the genius-level kids based on their Stanford-Binet scores. He followed them throughout life. None of them won a Nobel prize, but two that did not make the high-I.Q. cut did-- Alvarez and Shockley.

In case anyone is wondering what this has to do with Tesla, the connection is that the Gladwell book is about genius, about the many factors that predict success, like what part of the year you are born in, for hockey success. Amazing. I wish Gladwell would do an article on Elon Musk and his success.

EV there are podcasts from Gladwell that you can hear in your Tesla. On your 17" touch screen do "search anything" and enter "Revisionist History." One of the best is about the "sudden acceleration" on the Lexus from 10 or so years ago. What a story. Stunning!
  • edited April 2017
    I totally agree with you, EVolution. The stories of Bill Gates and the Beatles show that success was not just an accident or luck or personal effort.
  • edited April 2017
    The OP left the relationship between MENSA and Tesla adoration open. He might have related membership to success, being pompous, or being more worldly than most. We don't know.

As for a good read might I suggest

Deepak Malhotra.
    Negotiating the Impossible: How to Break Deadlocks and Resolve Ugly Conflicts (without Money or Muscle)

For a good listen...
    Trae Crowder. LIBERAL REDNECK MANIFESTO
  • edited April 2017
    "vp09 | High IQ certainly isn't enough to guarantee success. "

Agree for sure. Example, the boy with a mental affliction so bad that he can't even dress himself or do anything, so his dad has to take care of him. Yet, they travel around the world making a million dollars a year where he gives Piano performances to play any song perfectly even if it hears it only once !
  • edited April 2017
    Donald trump is member of mensa?
  • edited April 2017
    I'm not much of a 'joiner'. So, no.