General

Who's a member of Mensa?

13

Comments

  • edited April 2017
    @Fast Girl: I attended a speech by a lady who worked with people who had various mental disabilities. Her films and accounts of them in action were astonishing. She felt that they know things we that we don't. Savants at math and music are easier to understand because the operate at a level we can appreciate, but some may have insights that are beyond our understanding.
  • edited April 2017
    It's not enough to be born with a high I.Q. More needs to be there. Read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers.
  • edited April 2017
    Most useless organization I've ever been a member of. Went to one meeting. The only thing that the average member is better at compared to the rest of the population is solving IQ tests.
  • edited November -1
    Maybe some of you Mensa geniuses can give a succinct reason for the "Monty Hall" scenario:
    You're a contestant on a game show (like "Let's Make a Deal). You are given the opportunity to win a car if you pick the correct one of three. The other two doors have a goat behind them. You pick Door 1.

    The host knows which door the car is behind, and can only spontaneously reveal the doors with a goat behind them. He raises the curtain on Door 3, revealing a goat.

    He asks you, "do you want to stay with Door 1, or change to Door 2?"

    What should you do?
  • edited November -1
    @rxlawdude:
    You always switch doors.
    With your original guess, you have a 33% chance of guessing right - pure probability
    However, since they always eliminate one of the loser doors, they have given you more information and have given you a great chance to improve your odds - and the new door has a 67% chance of having the grand prize.
  • This is a happy tour for me to read on this post. After reading the whole post, we can get solutions to deal with the trouble quickly and safely. Thanks for your nice sharing.
  • edited April 2017
    tlvr23 why is it not 50%

    RX this isn't Bayesian probability is it? P of A given B = P (A)?
  • edited April 2017
    @vp
    I would have said 50 as well. I vaguely remember this riddle though from long ago.
  • edited April 2017
    If there is an equal chance of the grand prize bein behind any of the three doors, there is a 33% chance of it being behind A, 33% chance of it being behind B and 33% chance of being behind door C. There is a 67% chance of it NOT being behind Door A.

    If you choose A, you have a 33% chance of being correct and a 67% chance of being wrong. The act of them purposefully (and not randomly) displaying a goat does not change the odds that you have a 67% chance of being right by switching.

    Change the scenario to 10 doors, and your choice of Door A had a 10% chance of being right. Then Monty Hall starting opening 8 of the remaining doors one by one to display goats (knowing that he will not open the door with the grand prize). When there is only Door A and Door J left - there is a 90% chance that the prize is behind J (and not only a 50% chance).

    How about if there were 10,000 doors .... you should always switch from your first choice to the last door available.
  • edited April 2017
    mntlvr23 try this one:

    A man buys a horse for $60 and sells it for $70. Then he buys the same horse back for $80 and sells it for $90.

    How much money does he make in the horse-trading business?
  • edited April 2017
    Is the horse African or European?
  • edited April 2017
    Ha I saw that movie!

    I posted that because it struck me as analogous to your explanation of the 67%-- which I think is wrong. What happened before there were 2 doors and one goat does not matter, the way I read it.

    On the horses, a lot of people say the man made $10 because he "lost $10" when he bought the horse back. But read the problem as this, and that disappears: "A man buys a horse for $60 and sells it for $70. Then he buys A DIFFERENT horse for $80 and sells it for $90. How much money does he make in the horse-trading business?"

    With that language, people answer "$20." Yet it is the same problem.
  • edited April 2017
    I agree with the $20. Another way to look at it is if he started with $100, then after spending $60 and $80, receiving $70 and $90 - he ends up with $120 - a net gain of $20 (though I do not see the parallel between the two).

    So, with probability - When in doubt, play it out.

    You originally pick Door A and choose NOT to switch at the last minute.
    Scenario 1 (33% chance) - It was behind Door A - You WIN
    Scenario 2 (33% chance) - It was behind Door B - You LOSE
    Scenario 3 (33% chance) - It was behind Door C - You LOSE
    Therefore by not switching, you have a 33% chance of winning and 67% chance of losing

    You originally pick Door A and CHOOSE TO SWITCH at the last minute.
    Scenario 1 (33% chance) - It was behind Door A - They show either the goat behind B or C, You switch - You LOSE
    Scenario 2 (33% chance) - It was behind Door B - They show you the goat behind Door C - You switch to B - You WIN
    Scenario 3 (33% chance) - It was behind Door C - They show you the goat behind Door B - You switch to C - You WIN
    Therefore by switching, you have a 33% chance of losing and 67% chance of winning.

    Always switch doors.
  • edited April 2017
    mntlvr23 -- Bighorn "I would have said 50 as well." I have to agree with Bighorn - A. He is always right :-).
    B. if you change the problem to only have 2 options, it becomes a 50/50 chance. Really don't have time to explain probability right now.
  • edited April 2017
    I give up.
    I think there will have to be a Tesla behind one of the doors for people to really spend the time to work out the math on this one .... or you can read here for more explanation ....
    en.wikipedia DOT org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem
  • edited April 2017
    I have been a member of Mensa on and off over the years. My experience was that the character of the group tended to be regional.

    During the '80s, my experience with San Francisco Regional Mensa (SFRM) was quite good. I suspect it still is, but I haven't lived in the area since then. The group tended to be a nice social environment with folks who just happened to be good at taking tests that are broad measures of intelligence (and there are many tests which can be used for admittance: us.mensa.org/join/testscores/qualifying-test-scores/). Not many that I ran into considered themselves "better" than others.

    I had a very different experience with an east coast region. The events I went to there tended towards mutual admiration societies.

    Another west coast region just didn't seem to have as much going on as SFRM.

    One common thread is that Mensans tend to come from all walks of life. The only overt selection criteria is scoring in the 98th percentile of some test. Any other criteria are entirely self-selection as to whether Mensa resonates with you.
  • edited April 2017
    @bigd
    A switch does double your odds of being right. Here's a pretty good explanation:
    https://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-monty-hall-problem/
  • edited April 2017
    @Bighorn I have more faith in you than you do! Read and see where you were correct to begin with.

    http://www.realclearscience com /articles/2015/02/25/the_monty_hall_problem_everybody_is_wrong_109101.html
    or
    https://ablestmage.wordpress DOT com/2013/04/09/5050-is-king-classic-monty-hall-problem-re-addressed-and-re-debunked/
  • edited April 2017
    Not any more. Was a member once, didn't really do anything for me, so didn't renew.
  • edited April 2017
    Joined for one round of dues, just to say I did it and check it out. Didn't renew. Didn't see the point of it.
  • edited July 2019
    TESLA was the last true genius.
  • edited July 2019
    Not yet. But I will be a member asap.
  • edited July 2019
    I was thrown out for being too smart
  • edited July 2019
    No, I probably wouldn't qualify as I know how to use power tools.
  • edited July 2019
    My old girlfrield said she was. Ran her own company with 30 employees in her. mid 20s and then dated a guy in his 50s who owned a bunch of companies and said she could probably run a Fortune 500 company by the time she was 40. He died, she got married to one of her former employees that she fired, and had kids and then got divorced. But then she got sick about 6 months affter we started dating and had brain damage and I couldnt tell if she was extremely smart or just crazy.
    I decided to err on crazy and dumped her.
Sign In or Register to comment.