Model X

Front wheel half shaft judder fixed

edited November -1 in Model X
2016 P90DL, 14,500 miles. Just got back from the 12 hour round trip drive to San Rafael to get a buggy charge port door replaced. Which they did. 0800 appointment and had my car back by 2 PM with both the front half shafts replaced also, solving that problem, which on my car was not that bad. Great service from Jay and the mechanics! They told me that they used a new, redesigned part, so I should be good to go. Thanks guys! BTW: these guys fix stuff right that other Bay Area SCs haven't been able to. Really professional down there. Love my car.

Comments

• edited November -1
    So you are saying that Tesla has finally come up with a fix for the half -shafts issues?

I need mine replaced asap.
  • edited November -1
    They said it was a redesigned part. They said however that it was too new to know if it was a permanent fix
  • What are the half-shaft issues?
  • edited November -1
    Mine developed a grinding noise on full throttle acceleration. New half shafts fixed this issue.
  • edited November -1
    My half shafts were replaced, on full acceleration mine sounded like a car that needs motor mounts
  • edited April 2017
    Mine makes a loud clicking noise under full acceleration. So, I do not floor it anymore....would be nice if I could go back to full throttle take offs.
  • edited November -1
    I had the same problem under heavy acceleration. Replacing the half shafts seemed to fix it. Noise/shudder was coming from the right side, but they replaced both sides.
  • edited November -1
    As I have mentioned on other threads, this is an annoying and continuing problem. There has been so much misinformation, some of it coming from service centers. I just don't know hat to think and my efforts to escalate this issue has gone nowhere. I even doodled my complaint and published it, tweeted Elon, called the 800 support line and have not gotten any good answers.

Last week I picked up my MX from Rocklin service center (who I love) and they replaced the left half-shaft as the right one was replaced a few weeks ago. The shudder is worse!

We have heard before that a new half-shaft was out, but that proved to be false when the forum member directly question the Tesla sales person who told him that.

I don't know what to believe, but could you please put your suspension on high and confirm the shudder is gone?

How many MX forum members still have the shudder? How many do not?
  • edited November -1
    I just got my shudder issue fixed and my X is now smooth as silk on max acceleration! Basically, Seattle SC replaced small & large motor mounts, the jack shaft assembly and both L/R axles. They also did a four wheel alignment. It took 1 1/2 days but was well worth it. Shudder is completely gone and feels like a new car (it's one year old). They said if I ever experienced shudder again, the next thing they'd do would be to replace the front drive unit.
  • edited April 2017
    Wow jdub9.
  • edited April 2017
    I shudder to think what will happen next.
  • edited April 2017
    I hope we don't get shafted.
  • edited April 2017
    [CENSORED]
  • edited November -1
    You'll beef hooked.
  • edited April 2017
    I am NOT laughing. This is a serious issue. I was actually hoping to get an informal poll of MX owners in this thread. I ask that you reply with a 'Yes, my MX has this issue' or 'No, my MX does not have this issue' or something to that effect.

I have an service invoice that states that all MX's have this issue to some degree.

@jdub9 - thank you for your post. I am going to ask my SC to do the exact same thing. I always thought it felt like an engine mount issue.

@lilbean - bad girl for making light of this issue. You have felt my shudder and I am sure you can imaging how frustrating it would be to have your MX feel like it is shaking apart any time you accelerate.

Depending on how pervasive this issue is, this has the potential to affect TSLA stock much more profoundly than the silly parking gear micro-issue.
  • edited November -1
    I know it's a serious issue. I'm sorry if I sounded like I was making light of the issue. I'm really not happy about the issue at all and I do want a resolution for it. The thing is, I do feel we are getting shafted and that is why I wrote that. Sorry.
  • edited November -1
    We are getting shafted! No problem, I was mostly teasing but also trying to steer the thread back to the subject. I like a good play on words as much as anyone, but I'm a little sensitive on this one because of my frustration.

You can make it up to me my responding to my poll thread. :)
  • edited April 2017
    Oh good! :-)
    I didn't participate in the poll because I didn't try launching it.
  • edited November -1
    @lilbean Mine is so bad, it presents in normal driving. You dont have to "launch".
  • edited April 2017
    Oh no, so it has gotten worse?
  • edited November -1
    Yes. As you know I support Tesla 100%, but this is really frustrating. It has highlighted a customer service issue, in that I have been unable to communicate with a 'regional service manager' or anyone higher in the chain-of-command then my local service center as with other mfg, or any product for that matter.

Plus, Elon has not responded to my tweet or published doodle. ;(
  • edited November -1
    I was at the Austin, TX service center today because my driver door lock started acting crazy. I needed to also schedule my 1 year service appointment. While there, they informed me of the half shaft shudder fix. I will be getting mine replaced in early June when I have my 1 yr service.
    I have been patiently waiting for this fix for many months. Hoping it's a permanent fix!
  • edited April 2017
    My Q3/16 X60D developed the shudder at 8 ,000 miles. SC said they knew of the problem but did not have a fix.
    Had me lower my suspension before showing off (not that you can show off much in a 60D).

At 12,500 she is in the SC for the seat recall and other non-driving corrections and they said they now have the parts to apply a new fix for the shudder. We will see what happens.

Wish me luck, I hope this time we have a real fix for everybody.
  • edited April 2017
    Poll Reply: No shudder MX 75D, 11,000 miles.
    I was going to say that I've only read of this happening to 90s and 100s until I saw @alex.sammy's post above.
  • edited April 2017
    Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to hearing if the issue is resolved.