Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Rattle in the Pano roof center bar

edited November -1 in Model S
My 2017 MS90D has a distinct "rattling" noise emanating from inside the pano roof main center bar area. This rattle occurs as a resonant rattle, so it is not always present, but usually at higher speeds, or with the sound system at medium to high levels.

Very frustrating to finally realize the noise I just assumed was coming from stuff I might have stowed on the seats, or in the glove box, was, in fact, a construction issue with my expensive, new vehicle. I've had many new vehicles over the last 10 years, and I can't remember ever having a rattling issue like this regardless of the brand or price of the vehicle prior to my Tesla.

Guess its time to schedule another service appointment.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I think KP has been dealing with service on the same rattle.
  • edited November -1
    I have been. I made a video recording of the noise and send it to my service center guy. He sent out a tech who thinks it is air pushing down on an improperly installed seal. If you want I can send you the recording I made to see if it's the same thing you're hearing. Or you can do the same and send it to your SC.
  • edited November -1
    My 2014 S85 had a similar issue and the SC applied a silicon lubricant to the seals ... that fixed it for a month or so then the rattle came back. It was driving me nuts, so when I ordered my current S90D I got the body color roof.

I'm not suggesting you trade in your car - I'm just telling you this so you know someone else had the issue and the simple fix didn't help, so if you are close to end of warranty make sure you document every service call.
  • edited November -1
    I had a similar issue with my2013 P85+ a few months after I bought the car, but Service in Fremont, Ca did a good job fixing the vibration. Fast forward 3+ years and still no more vibration or any other issue. Almost 4 years with the car drives like it was 2013.
  • edited November -1
    I have the exact same rattle in the right side roof bar (all glass roof) above the rear passenger window. I had it fixed at the service center, but the rattle has returned. I think they put some foam under the alcantera liner to quiet the rattle.
  • edited April 2017
    @Bill
    Could you clarify if you meant pano or all glass--I'm not familiar with the anatomy of the all glass roof.
  • edited November -1
    All glass. It's like the pano, but no center bar. One large glass rectangle with narrow bars on the sides and larger bars across the front and back.
  • edited April 2017
    @Bill
    Thanks though that's a bit disheartening that the all glass isn't trouble-free.
  • edited April 2017
    The glass isn't rattling. It's coming from where the side curtain airbags are located.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone for their information. I'm OCD with rattles, so I'll make a service center appt and see if I can get the noise to reproduce for a tech. It's not very loud, and it's not constant, but it still drives me crazy....I'll post up what they do, and if it works.
  • edited April 2017
    I think I might be having that problem too. There's a vibration that manifests itself on certain roads, and I can't get a passenger to confirm for me that it's coming from where I think it's coming from. The problem I have is that since it's not consistent, I don't want to take it in and have a tech say he couldn't reproduce it. I think it's from the pano roof, in the area where the center beam is. If anybody who had this fixed can say what was done specifically, that would help me diagnose it.
  • edited November -1
    Record it, Haggy. I just held my iPhone behind my head near the crossbar while I was driving, taking a video. I emailed it to my service guy.

Mine isn't consistent either - though when the tech came out I was happy the car obliged and rattled. ;)
  • edited April 2017
    The service technician sat in the back seat while I drove. It took him about 2 minutes to locate the rattle and to quiet it with his hand. When we got back to the service center he could make it rattle just by tapping on the spot with his fingers.
  • edited April 2017
    I haven't been able to make it rattle by hitting the center bar or anything else; it appears to be internal inside the headliner / pano panel, and only resonates at certain speeds, or on certain roads, or with certain bass frequencies from the sound system...I'm sure I can get a tech to drive with me, and I should be able to make it rattle if we can get to speed...
  • edited November -1
    "Record it, Haggy. I just held my iPhone behind my head near the crossbar while I was driving, taking a video. I emailed it to my service guy."

I can do that, but not with an iPhone. It would have to be a dedicated sound recorder. Otherwise it would be a violation of the latest hands free laws in my state.
  • edited November -1
    I'm a rebel. ;-)
  • edited November -1
    @Bill
    It's probably just metal shrapnel in the Takata airbags.