General

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Remote for Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone & iPad official support and feature request thread (for

1444546474850»

Comments

• Just want to give a heads up that version 4.6.0 starting showing up in the App Store about 3 hours ago in case anyone hasn't updated their app yet. There is now MFA (aka 2-factor or multi-factor authentication) support. This should also bring much more stability to the app as the tokens shouldn't clash with other Tesla apps or services anymore.
  • What are the recommended settings less frequent wake ups to reduce battery drain? I don’t mind some drain to get some essential background updates, I am using both an iPhone and an Apple Watch.
  • > @czbuckeye said:
    > What are the recommended settings less frequent wake ups to reduce battery drain? I don’t mind some drain to get some essential background updates, I am using both an iPhone and an Apple Watch.

There are two possible background drains:

1) Background App Refresh - This is provided by Apple for any app to take advantage of (and Remote does take advantage of it). Apple uses some algorithm to determine how often you use the app and when you use it. Then it attempts to refresh the app around that time so that the cached car stats would be newer than the last time you opened it. For me, this refresh happens maybe once a day. This is found in the settings for all iOS devices and can be turned off in the Settings app. The impact of this is minuscule. It'd be no different than checking your Tesla app once per day. If you're worried about battery life on your Watch, I recommend turning this off for all apps.

2) Complications - This refreshes probably every 15 minutes or so. This would cause the most drain because it wakes up your car every 15 minutes to grab the stats. In the Tesla Remote settings on your iPhone, you can turn off the Apple Watch Complication background refresh. It is on by default if you put the Remote complication on your current watch face. The impact of this is maybe 2 miles of charge per day if I had to guess.

If you turn these two off, then the app has no possibility of waking up your car randomly, so there'll be no more battery drain from the app at all.
  • Thanks so much!
  • Public Service Announcement for all Remote for Tesla app users: If you logged into the Tesla Remote app prior to February and haven't yet logged out, you should sign out and sign back in the Tesla Remote app, so that your app continues to work without any interruption. Your old login token is set to expire soon and you need to login using the new login screen to get a the new login token.

The good news is that once you've logged into the new login screen, then you don't have worry about it again as the app will know how to refresh your token whenever it expires. Anyone who has logged into the app after version 4.6.0 does not need to do any of this.
  • I want to add to the above comment that you should update to the latest version of the app before you log out and log back in. I realize now that some users manually update their apps and not everyone is on at least version 4.6.0 yet.
  • Doing my homework on some 3rd party apps before buying, since they're all in the $25 - $50 range. Your app looks great for using Shortcuts and Siri. A couple of other questions however; the UI looks like it could use refreshed / updated. Any plans for that? What about widgets in iOS 14 (and beyond)? I'd like to be able to quickly glance and see what my SoC is for example.

Thanks!
  • > @brianld said:
    > Doing my homework on some 3rd party apps before buying, since they're all in the $25 - $50 range. Your app looks great for using Shortcuts and Siri. A couple of other questions however; the UI looks like it could use refreshed / updated. Any plans for that? What about widgets in iOS 14 (and beyond)? I'd like to be able to quickly glance and see what my SoC is for example.
    >
    > Thanks!

Yes, those are the two most common requests. Those are being worked on for the next major app update.
  • It looks like this forum is about to be shut down on March 15th. So for anyone in the future reading this comment and is trying to submit a bug or feature, please visit my website (https://regoapps.com) to contact me. In the meantime, I'll keep reading and replying to comments here until this forum is closed.

Also, for those who still had trouble logging in, such as users in Asia, the new update 4.6.1 that came out yesterday should fix all the login issues.