Model 3

0-60: Main Determinant of Keep/Cancel Decision

edited November -1 in Model 3
We know that the base M3 will do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, but is anyone able to make an educated guess on how far under 6 seconds we should expect for the most stripped down version? It sounds like most people are predicting that there won't be a P version of the RWD model, meaning in order to get any increase in performance we'll need to wait for the AWD and then pony up at least an additional 5-7.5k more plus risk at least part of the tax credit.

Am I the only one around here who plans to cancel my reservation if 0-60 comes in near the upper 5s?

I'm sure most others aren't weighing acceleration so strongly against other attributes, and I know that the electric motor should feel snappier up front than you would otherwise expect, but it wont feel remotely as punchy as a Mustang GT or Camaro SS if its more than a full second slower to 60. (Am I wrong?)

Comments

• edited November -1
    I'm sure you're not the only one. You can value whatever attributes how you like. Cancel if you want to cancel, or don't if you want the car. Posting about canceling won't make the car go faster.
  • edited May 2017
    @Atlanta09,

I have the "slowest" ModelS60 which does 0-6- in 5.9 seconds (per Tesla) but has been Tested at 5.5 seconds and I can assure you that it is much quicker than the Mustang and Camaro.

The battery will be smaller than the S and Tesla has committed to ensure the Model S is always the highest performance vehicle.

***GUESSING HERE*** I think the Model 3 will be the same. However, the dual motor, performance version should go 0-60 in around 3 seconds. ***GUESS HERE***
  • edited November -1
    I'd suggest driving a Model S 60 or 75 (I'm sure the local Tesla showroom could hook you up), and decide if it's "punchy" enough for you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The thing I hate about my ICE, and that I expect to disappear in the Tesla, is the lag. Going down the freeway at 65, if I decide to punch it in order to hit a hole in traffic or whatever, it's two seconds before my car accelerates - with no accelerator pumps anymore, there's no immediate throttle response, then once the acceleration starts, the transmission decide to shift down, and once it's done the engine has to spool back up. I expect that, even in the base model 3, stomping on the accelerator will be instantly rewarded with all the power it has to give. How's that for "punchy"?
  • edited November -1
    It's not even a factor I'm going to consider.
  • edited November -1
    I continue to hope for a sort of one-motor semi-ludicrous performance option. Tesla would probably require the bigger battery option and charge more than they should for this, but it would add to the bottom line without messing with the assembly line.
  • edited November -1
    Not a factor at all for me. I had never thought of it before, so when they announced 6.0, I tested out my Volvo S60 and Camry and neither can beat 6.0 and both have served me well.
  • edited November -1
    Don't let the 0-60 number to fool you. A 6 sec Tesla likely will give you more push on your back than a 5 sec if not a 4 sec ICE car. I have driven them all. The instant torque rules. A friend who got a MX 75D (~6 sec 0-60) was overjoyed and kept thanking me when he got the car. He couldn't believe how easy it is to pass other cars on the mountain drive. He previously owned a 650i and still has his SL so he knew how fast cars are like. You can find it (the acceleration) out yourself by go test drive a MX 75D. It definitely will beat you SS on the stop light and feels even faster because there is no pedal lag.
  • edited May 2017
    Not a factor for me. My Corolla does 0-60 in 9.4 secs so under 6 secs will be a BIG improvement. :-)
  • edited May 2017
    BMW claims the 340i with 320 HP and 330 lb-ft torque does 0-60 MPH in 4.8 seconds. Assuming the Tesla Model ☰ has a 60 kWh battery pack in base trim, and weighs perhaps 3,700 lbs, I think it should have a similar horsepower/torque profile, but due to its electric drivetrain would be quicker, despite weighing a bit more, and costing quite a bit less. That would be my target, and Elon has already confirmed that at 'less than six seconds' the car will certainly blow the doors off the claimed 7.1 seconds 0-60 MPH time of the 320i. To look at it another way? The BMW 530i ($51,200 and 248 HP with 258 lb-ft torque) is listed on their website with a 0-60 MPH time of exactly 6.0 seconds. So the Model ☰ will be priced like an entry level 3-Series, but will be sized like an entry level 5-Series, with better off-the-line Performance. That very well could be a winning combination and stuff.
  • edited May 2017
    5.9 would work for the baseline for me. My preferred options are the 75 battery and AWD. I'd 'expect' that would knock a second of the base and 4.9 sounds flipping terrific especially knowing that the torque will be there from 0 - 30 MPH as well as from 50 MPH to 70 MPH as well! Flat torque curve - gotta love it!
  • edited November -1
    "Am I the only one around here who plans to cancel my reservation if 0-60 comes in near the upper 5s?"

Yes. Please do. Bump me up.
  • edited November -1
    The AUDI A4, BMW 3-Series, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class all start around $35-37K and get around 6 seconds 0-60mph. That is why the Model 3 was aimed there.

Remember one of the many causes of the Tesla Grin is, "The god-like connection between intent and result. Instant torque is addictive."

Regardless of where the base version starts, it will feel very quick. Of course larger batteries, dual-motor AWD, and Performance + Ludicrous versions will be even quicker. Remember, "At Tesla we only make fast cars." --Elon.

There are many, many more advantages to driving a Tesla:
    https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-advantage
  • edited November -1
    @pigeon If drag racing off the line is adolescent, why do the American makers put out 700hp muscle cars with 1 seat and dealers try to sell them for 2-3x the list price?

As for quick, I don't care how quickly it gets to 60. I'd get a ticket in my town for doing that. The car gets to 45-50 very fast and it takes everyone else a while to pass me, only to do it again at the next light.
  • edited November -1
    I like power so will hold off for a 4 second or less version. Power isn't exactly a Tesla short-coming :)
  • edited May 2017
    My current car lists 10.2 and I doubt it still gets that at this point. It really isn't a concern for me. I have driven a few cars that are likely faster than the 3 but didn't have the skill set at the time to push them and I didn't own them so I took it easy. It would be nice to have great acceleration however I would only use it a few times not something I would wait or pay extra for.
  • edited May 2017
    I have driven many very fast cars, mustang gt500, viper ACR, camaro zl1, challenger srt8, a few 1000hp+ cars, etc. And a dodge Cummings that could eat a zo6 for breakfast ( the d*** thing shredded a billet input shaft... twice) tons of hot rods. I can tell you that the first time a rode in a Tesla P85D (Not even with ludicrous mode) I was nothing short of amazed. I have never driven anything that could launch that hard. Not saying they don't exist. But not common on the streets at all. If my model three launches half that hard I will be more the happy. My Land Rover currently does about 12 second to 60mph HAHAH terrible. It's also about 1500lbs over stock.

Atlanta 09 It's not crazy to say performance is important in your buying decession, and people can call me "adolescent" all they want. IDGAF.. I like to have fun. Speed makes me happy.

(Keep it on the track)
  • edited May 2017
    @Ehninger1212 +1
    The other thing to remember is that launching a Tesla does not require special skills. You just need to know the routine for a true "launch" or you can just donkey stomp the go-pedal.

The difference between a traction-limited, totally controlled digital launch vs. a howling double clutch, pray-it-doesn't-blow-something ICE launch is amazing. One is composed and consistent and will only turn the heads of those inside it. The other will draw the attention (and ire) of every copy w/in a country mile.
  • edited May 2017
    0-30 MPH is more important than 0-60 MPH. The Model 3 has an inherent advantage over gas cars - max torque off the line.
  • edited May 2017
    Or I would say 0-1 second. No ICE car can match a Tesla the first second, or the moment, after you pressed the pedal. That's what driving a Tesla all about, even if you never drag race your car.
  • edited May 2017
    The first deliveries will be 'normal'specs, so take what you get, sell it 2 years down the track to a taxi operator, and buy your dream.
  • edited May 2017
    I have a Nissan Leaf which has a 0-60 somewhere around 10 seconds. I can tell you, even with that crappy time - off the line I can pull away from just about any other vehicle. I expect the Model 3 to be really amazing off the line -- even the base model.
  • edited May 2017
    Is 0-60 time really the only aspect of performance you care about? Seems odd. My S2000 couldn't do a great 0-60 (unless you want to dump the clutch at 6k RPM) but it was still a very fun car. Also agree with the poster above, even my Leaf feels torquey off the line and it is in no way fast. 0-60 is nice, but it's really just magazine/headline bragging rights.
  • edited May 2017
    I have had the pleasure of "launching" a P100D a couple of times. No special driving skill required. Just stomp it. It is so smooth and straight that I have no doubt I could have released the steering wheel with no ill effects.
  • edited November -1
    I will be at 45 mph (as I cross rhe first line on the othe side of the intersection (3 lanes each way) in my 7 seater X90D. Can the M4 do that? In the couple of suped up beamers I've launched against, they were just crossing the near side of the intersection as I crossed the far side at 45mph.
  • edited May 2017
    I totally agree with @noleaf4me. People who have never driven an EV do not have an idea of how they run. An older coworker who recently bought an i3 (7 or 8 second 0-60?) commented he's worried about car like that got into young people's hand. He does not say that about ICE BMW which he has owned before.

The performance, or instantaneous torque, is part of the reason why Elon said making the best car which happens to be an EV. This is the quality that makes EV the best car. Tesla is the first EV maker that fully utilized that quality too.