Model 3

Model S vs Model 3 employee comparison chart

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Meh. Whatever.
  • edited November -1
    5.6 0-60 would be nice and zippy. Not as fast as my 70D (5.2). but not a huge difference for me.

Cargo space is pretty much what I expected. trunk and frunk 14cu ft - compared to my 07 Lexus IS250 and the 2017 BMW 330i and Audi A4 which are 13cu ft. I'm guessing that means the trunk has roughly the same dimension as it's class competitors and the extra cu ft is probably in the frunk.
  • edited November -1
    "Whatever" ?

Now we have 2 meaningful confirmed specs about the 3. 0-60 times and size. 11.2 inches shorter than the Model S.
  • edited May 2017
    I'm guessing the cargo space is not reflective of the folded seats (which is probably a significant boost).

It also seems like there's some salesmanship with regard to the number of configurations. On the MS, if you take every variation of paint color, battery, audio, red brake calipers, etc., etc., I'm sure the combinatorics probably lead to the 1,500+ number. Personally, I'm not too concerned with massive customization. I'd settle for trims along the lines of: "good", "better", "best".

I was happy to see confirmation of reservations placed today, delivering in Mid-2018. I reserved a month ago, so hopefully I'll have a shot a some of the tax credit.
  • edited November -1
    Also cargo space and the <100 configurations.
  • edited November -1
    There is a ton of great information in the chart. It is intended to anti-sell the Model 3.

But the nuggets are:

1. Premium Features NOT available at launch include: HEPA, Aluminum Body, Smart Suspension, Glass Roof, Pano Roof, Auto-Presenting Door Handles and 21" Wheels

2. 30 day production goal from order to delivery (U.S.) vs Mid 2018 delivery (very optimistic)

3. 30 vs 14 ft3 frunk and trunk storage

4. 1,500+ v <100 configurations - think color, AP2, FSD, battery size

5. Power liftgate vs manual trunk

6. 5.6 0-60
  • edited November -1
    How is there no "glass roof" I didn't understand that part.
  • edited May 2017
    Interesting what they're saying about less than 100 configurations. That's really low.

5 paint colors * 2 battery sizes * 2 (AWD vs RWD) = 20. Toss in some interior color options and cold weather, and you're at 100.

They're certainly not counting software-only options like Autopilot.
  • edited November -1
    I'll be the 5.6 seconds is for rear wheel drive. For those waiting for all wheel drive, that should get a touch better. The specs are probably all for the initial shipments.
  • edited November -1
    I believe the all glass roof will be standard. Optional opening sunroof.
  • edited May 2017
    @TD,

This is going to be initial configurations, which will not include AWD or Performance.

@Ehninger,

I was surprised to see glass roof not included.
  • edited May 2017
    I also read it as "No pano sunroof." Seems fixed pano roof will be standard. If I'm wrong it won't be the first time.
  • edited May 2017
    Unless they are saying that the model 3 only comes with a glass roof therefore it is a premium feature only on the model S.. but that doesn't seem to make sense to me at all.
  • edited May 2017
    @Randkthorn. I believe your correct. Fixed glass front to back standard.
  • edited November -1
    Oooh, someone may get in trouble for leaking that.
  • edited November -1
    Not surprising but interesting to get official confirmation that the S will have free supercharging while the 3 will have pay per use supercharging. Makes sense for free supercharging to be a perk for the high end models.
  • edited May 2017
    +1 SamO that its purpose is to anti-sell the model 3. And +1 Tarla - Yes it's likely based on what will be available at launch (RWD, no P, no air suspension, etc)
  • edited November -1
    215+

The + is what I want to know.
    Signed,
    Oh so little faith

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/845331893176324096?lang=en
  • edited November -1
    Simply Red -
    Yeah, I noticed that.

I definitely believe this is a "Model 3 Anti-Sell" sheet. It has a few new facts in it that aren't much of a surprise (cargo capacity, length, etc), but omits a few important ones (range, premium features). I think those are still on the table for Reveal 3.
  • edited May 2017
    Frank99. I agree. Saving details for the reveal.
  • edited May 2017
    jordanrichard: I first learned of this over at M3OC. You can see my more detailed posts on the subject there...

https://www.model3ownersclub.com/threads/official-model-3-beta-watch-thread.2931/page-47#post-24459

Basically, I'm peeved at this apparent confirmation of 'Pay Per Use Supercharging' and I also think the trunk is a wee bit too small. I'm wondering if we are being trolled. That's all.
  • edited May 2017
    Given how little electricity costs compared to gas, I do not mind paying for it at all.

I am consuming a service, and compensating them for it is fairly straight forward. Plus it's faster than elsewhere, and it costs the same? Deal.
  • edited November -1
    I would like to ask please, those of you who use the term "anti-sell", what exactly does that mean? Does it mean an attempt to up-sell to the S or X? Or does it mean that Tesla is simply attempting to temper expectations of those interested in the Model 3?

Re: the lack of a specific range in this leak. One possible explanation may be that it is not specified because it is not yet known. It's still a few weeks/months before production is forecast to begin and who knows what may going on over at the Gigafactory in terms of locking down the chemistry/config/misc for the M3 production battery. They may be forestalling the road tests that will set that number until very late in the game.

My guess has been, and remains, that surprises on range will be to the upside. Just sayin'.
  • edited May 2017
    @CC - I think they have plenty of reservations, and they are trying to convert some to the S/X, especially before the final reveal. Elon said on the last quarterly call that even with his anti-selling, Model 3 reservations grow every day.
  • edited May 2017
    Coastal_Cruiser: I suspect the answer to the second and third queries in your first paragraph is, 'YES.'

I think the range is known, but that Tesla anticipated this 'leak' (may have even engineered it) and wanted to make sure that was left out on purpose.

I'm all about the 'upside' to Tesla.