Roadster

Roadster 2.0

edited June 2017 in Roadster
What will be the 0-60 time with Maximum plaid?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Try Tesla Motors Club.

They don't play over there.
  • edited November -1
    Yes, Tesla Motors Club. It's a whole different feel. I'm there with my photo.
  • edited November -1
    Nice name change, OP! I saw what you did there.
  • edited June 2017
    As I said to the other guy on the other thread- impersonating Elon just might be a crime of some sort. Be careful.
  • edited June 2017
    It's weird, I was trying to change my info and did some test and it changed my account name. I luv that
  • edited June 2017
    Less than 2.3 seconds.

DUH.
  • edited November 2017
    1.9 apparently....

Awesome! And beautiful!

Still Grinning ;-)
  • edited November 2017
    Dang! This one looks incredible. Definitely got my attention!!
  • edited November 2017
    600 mile range, 4 seats, 3 motors, top speed 250 mph. 1.9 0-60 in the non performance version, no less.
  • edited November -1
    gonna need one of these - and yes the word is "need".
  • edited November -1
    however - it better be a good track car - which means completing a Nuremberg lap and being able to run flat out for more than 3/4 of lap at thunderhill for example - the current Model S is a terrible track car...but if it's good for all that they will get my money.
  • edited November -1
    dortor you're killing me. Please don't buy it.
  • edited November 2017
    Why get a red/white 0-60 in 1.9 in 2020 when you can get a Leaf... *taday*!?!?!

Whut?
  • edited November 2017
    why Carlk - because I have actual requirements for the car to be able to run full out for more than 30 seconds? It's well knows EV's are great daily driver but horrible track cars due to:

a) high consumption rates
    b) thermal problems with the batteries under high continuous load

I'm hoping that with the announcement of the Roadseter Elon feels he can over come these problems - we'll see.

I'm also hoping with Formula-E and other car manufactures involvement the industry as a whole can move forward in this space and move EV's to being as reliable/high-performance as ICE's under heavy use scenarios.
  • edited November 2017
    You race driver?
  • edited November -1
    yes - yes I am - PCA Club racing license and Certified National PCA Driving Instructor - I use my sports cars at the track - and expect them to demonstrate stamina - i.e. being able to run "flat out" for more than 1 or 2 minutes under stressful and heavy use…

if Tesla is "gunning" for the title of "best" sports car it better be able to do better than a 1/4 mile - say complete a lap at the Nürburg ring - or heavy forbid complete a 25 minute HPDE session @ thunderhill without completely neutering itself due to battery thermals…

I _LOVE_ my model S around town - took it to the track - attempted to do a 20 minute session - was Neutered by battery thermals in 3/4 of lap 1 - and it was slower than a $5000 used Mazda Miata …

great daily driver and I mean GREAT daily driver, horrible track car!

http://www.refuelraces.com/refueltt2017.php

the current Model S and get 1 Roadsters are slower than a Chevy Bolt at the track…check the logs

but when competing against ICE the lap times are embarrassingly slow…

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988

the current lap times at Laguna coming in around 1:52.xx put you @ 138 out of 145 cars - slower than a Minicooper S Mk II, but faster than Z05 corvette

for $250,000 you'll need to do better than 138 of 145 cars…

a $150,000 Porsche GT3 does a lap at laguna around 1:33.1 - and can do that lap time for over 40 minutes straight during a PCA Club sprint race - lap times are a little slower (but not by much) during a 90 minute enduro…with a 5 minute pit stop for fuel once during the race.

if you are going to say you're better than the other $250,000++++ exotic super cars - you'll need to be able to run fast for more than 1,320 feet - otherwise it doesn't matter

8.8 second quarter mile is one thing...

a 1:31'ish lap time for 40 minutes straight @ Laguna is completely different.
  • edited November -1
    when the Roadster comes out - I'll be happy to bring my $154,000 Porsche 911 GT3 to Laguna Seca and run it for a 20 minute session against any EV - I'll even spot you an entire 1 lap lead - and at the end of 20 minutes the 911 will finish before you by at least an entire lap…

Because at 1:52 vs. 1:31 - that's 21 seconds per lap faster - and I lap you in your EV on your lap #7 approximately 14 minutes in to the "race" - and proceed in the next 6 minutes to open up another 126 second lead - or nearly a 2 minute lead time - or about 1.5 lap advantage…having started a lap behind.

It's also worth noting that while a Model S can do a 1:52.425 it can't do it more than once - after that "hot lap" due to battery thermals - it's lap time drops down to well over 2:15 or 2:20 - it's a one lap wonder - best case....I know Cameron Rodgers - I've raced with Cameron - he's one of the biggest EV fans on the planet - working hard on a full electric radical race car (radical is the type/brand of race car - google it they are awesome track toys) - but even though he owns the track record for EV's he will tell you EV's have a long long long long way to go before they equal what can be accomplished with an ICE car…

now you can pooh pooh this all you want - but _IF_ you are going to claim world "best" performance car for $250,000 you better be able to outperform a $60,000 Porsche Cayman or a $300,000 Ferarri 488/458 - both cars run literally for hours on a track circuit and will not neuter themselves performance wise…and you best not be embarrassed by a beater $5,000 Mazda Miata (which can do like mid 1:40's at Laguna…and do it back to back to back to back to back…
  • edited November 2017
    Ah, the last of the goal posts in the "BEV can't compare with ICE" arguments. And if the Roadster CAN do these track events, will the pessimists finally admit defeat? Elon thrives on people telling him it can't be done. I don't think he would create a 250+ mph Roadster and not think of these challenges. Model S is a family sedan and never intended for racing. Obviously a Roadster has a different purpose.
  • edited November 2017
    Best at what? It's still years too early to tell if or how Tesla will overcome the thermal issues. If they don't, it would make no more sense than saying that Usain Bolt isn't the best runner because he can't do marathons. We know what the car is expected to be good at. Now we need to see the big picture.
  • edited November -1
    I'd venture to say most sports sold cars are never taken to the track. Most are used to enjoy everyday driving. Most cars set up for the track are not very good for everyday drivers. I have no idea if the new Roadster will work on the track - my guess (like others) is the Roadster is designed for everyday driving fun and not for the track. Nothing wrong with that as it will likely sell a lot more Roadsters and make a lot more owners happy.
  • edited November 2017
    Should the gods wish to gift me a new Roadster, as they should (hopefully without stipulations), it would only be used for rather brief thrills and short and safe exhibitions of speed. I would have to work up to being comfortable with a full 1/4 mile of full power.

There will likely be some race-prep sorts of upgrades available to make the Roadster suitable for track events. Perhaps huge cooling radiators, pumps and such, along with maybe lighter specialized racing batteries good for typical racing events. Endurance racing seems totally out of the question unless swappable batteries are used.
  • edited November 2017
    wow ... a rocket for the road....love it!
    cannot be judged by WW2 race tracks that cater to ICE
    Its a whole new world !!
  • edited November 2017
    dortor, Tesla didn't say they were gunning for the "best sports car", only the fastest accelerating production cars on the planet. I am a former member of the PCA and I get it, an EV can't be tossed around a track like a Porsche, but outside the PCA bubble, no one cares........... I mean, people talk about the miniscule number of EVs on the road compared to the total number of cars, the number of people who track their street cars is even smaller.

So again, I get it, but in the scheme of things, nobody cares about tractability.
  • edited November -1
    the point is Tesla is playing in a new "league" if they are calling it a supercar

I expect my 1/4 million $$$ super car to be driven at/near it's limits for 20-30 minutes at time - a really really low standard by the way to ask that your awesome car can actually be used for what it's intended. Every other car in this price range can do that.

If it can't do that - please don't tell me it's will embarrass other Exotics "at the track" - a quote from a Tesla Fanboy...it won't.

If all Elon is interested in is a 1/4 mile drag race, then have at it - but if he wants it to actually be a sports car then there are some reasonable asks for what it should be able to handle.